Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Woman Elected to Baseball HOF

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/b ... ml?cnn=yes

Effa Manley, owner of the Negro Leagues Newark Eagles.

"Manley used the game to advance civil rights causes with events such as an Anti-Lynching Day at the ballpark."

I'm glad I grew up in a time where there was not much need for an Anti-Lynching Day at the ballpark.

Me, too. But...what exactly did they do on Anti-Lynching day at the ball park?

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
      Me, too. But...what exactly did they do on Anti-Lynching day at the ball park?
      I can think of a few (rudely) humorous replies, but this is definitely not what I would consider to be a joking matter. Maybe someone here knows what really took place on Anti-Lynching Day at the ballpark??

Comment

While the same bad jokes do rattle around in my odd brain, here is a serious hypothesis--the idea was to engender support for a federal anti-lynching law, which was badly needed at that time, thus the use of the term, which sounds odd in present times.

Comment

Good piece on The Newshour tonight. From the article:

"Manley was white, but married a black man and passed as a black woman, said Larry Lester, a baseball author and member of the voting committee."

The bit on the show talked about how she didn't learn her heritage until she was older.

Wasn't sure what they were getting at.

Comment

Our paper this morning said she had a child with an out-of-marriage affair with a white guy.

Comment

Must have been talking about the kid.

Comment

Working...
              X