Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Vote McGwire Into Baseball HOF?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Vote McGwire Into Baseball HOF?

Sportsline article today says that Mike Schmidt would vote McGwire in if he had a vote. "Judge him against his peers," is what Schmidt says.

Would you vote McGwire into the Baseball HOF based on what information you currently have on McGwire, his "help" along the way, and his power numbers his last few seasons in the majors with St. Louis?
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Unsure at this point
    0%

If I recall correctly, 49 homers as a rookie. He could always hit. He has my vote - Bonds too.

If you want to start knocking PED users off their pedestals, take a more discerning look at a sport near you before you start hypocritically picking on baseball.

Comment

I seen the Congress meeting that he was present for yesterday, and it did not look good (for him).

Comment

How football gets a free pass, I don't know. I am almost certain that every major star does PEDs in that sport..........

Comment

I reluctantly would vote for both, as if I understand it correctly, they did not break any rules at the time of their performing. That assumes Barry got off the stuff a few years ago when it became a no no.

Comment

No. You consider the svelte McGuire of his rookie year and compared it to the 270 pound gacked-to-the-gills monster at the end of his career and there's no question. He cheated.

Comment

Can a baseball player put on 15 pounds of lean muscle in 3 months....roughly 7kg in 100 days? We:re not talking being x-pounds/kg heavier, instead heavier all in lean mass.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                Can a baseball player put on 15 pounds of lean muscle in 3 months....roughly 7kg in 100 days? We:re not talking being x-pounds/kg heavier, instead heavier all in lean mass.
                Why yes, of course he can because he did, BUT NOT without help. :wink:
                phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by twittering debutante
                  No. You consider the svelte McGuire of his rookie year and compared it to the 270 pound gacked-to-the-gills monster at the end of his career and there's no question. He cheated.
                  Well, at 225 I am not sure he was exactly svelte. And I too have personally gained 45 pounds since the beginning of my career - no PEDs required. That said, it is clear that Mac had pharmaceutical assistance.

Comment

Even a "clean" McGwire doesn't get my vote. I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but I have pretty high standards for the HOF. I think there are too many men in it already. McGwire was impressive and has some great numbers, but not that great.

Take away his homers and what is there? Nada.

Okay, so he hit a lot of homers. But for his era, the numbers aren't that much of an aberration. There are some guys now who will pass him eventually. Is 573 a magical number now? The HOF shouldn't be for every really good player to come along, but for extra-special players, of which Mark was not one.

Bonds? Best player ever. Will have the most number of homers, a bunch of MVP's, ridiculous batting average, extra base hits, on-base percentage, not a lot of strike-outs (relatively speaking), gold glover, etc., etc.

McGwire and Bonds are not in the same league. Except for the major league . . . :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by bekeselassie
                      Even a "clean" McGwire doesn't get my vote. I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but I have pretty high standards for the HOF.
                      Second funniest thing I've read in a while (next to your post over on the root canal thread). With those standards, the HOF would be damn near empty.

Comment

I think I would also have to "reluctantly" vote him in. How can you not vote for him when it's obvious a very significant number of HOF-ers have also been juiced? Be it on steroids or amphetamines.

Comment

Hey Hammy, it might be nearly empty, but it would mean something more than it does now.

By the way, how's your latest T&FN? Got mine on Saturday - in Georgia!!:P

Comment

Originally posted by bekeselassie
                            By the way, how's your latest T&FN? Got mine on Saturday - in Georgia!! :P
                            Garry's probably made it to Foster City, about a fifth of the way here. I expect to see it by April 15th or so. :cry: :wink:

Comment

Skipped Foster City yesterday on my way to Sausalito and back (did 280 sted of 101). Now I remember why, given an infiinite amount of money, and the choice, that I'd rather live in the Bay Area that anywhere else on the planet.

Comment

Working...
                              X