Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Vote McGwire Into Baseball HOF?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh
    I'd vote yes because I'd make the assumption that he was facing a level of steroid-fueled pitching that his predeccesors (most of them) never had to, keeping the playing field "level" (I've heard somebaseball people argue that roids probably tilted the field more towards the pitchers, and not sure I don't agree).
    I think that's what will eventually happen with the majority of BBWAA writers who won't be voting for McGwire this time. On the other hand, a surprisingly large number (though not enough to keep him out of the HoF) of writers see McGwire as a one trick pony similar to Dave Kingman, who currently holds the record for career home runs without getting into the HoF.

Comment

128 votes out of 545 (23.5%, 75% needed)

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... NFJFR3.DTL

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
        If you want to start knocking PED users off their pedestals, take a more discerning look at a sport near you before you start hypocritically picking on baseball.
        Which I assume means by default that those of us that do are allowed to say

HA HA HA to McGwire. I suspect that there is a major overlap between the 128 and those that left Gwynn and Ripken off the ballot. Should revoke their voting privileges before Bonds comes up.

Comment

educate me here ... were PEDs illegal in baseball while McGuire was playing. I read somewhere (and not just lonewolf's remarks) that they were not illegal - maybe unethical but not illegal or banned in baseball. That only happened sometime ... relatively recently.

Comment

Originally posted by no one
            educate me here ... were PEDs illegal in baseball while McGuire was playing. I read somewhere (and not just lonewolf's remarks) that they were not illegal - maybe unethical but not illegal or banned in baseball. That only happened sometime ... relatively recently.

The point that's being lost here is that writers VOTE on who they THINK belongs in the HOF and who doesn't. We're not talking about whether or not someone should be banned from the game, or have their records taken away because they were using a PED that was or wasn't illegal.

Whether or not the PED was illegal, the writers feel that McGwire didn't belong in tha Hall because he used them, thereby enhancing himself, and his numbers. I agree with this 100%, and hopefully they'll be consistent with the others as they come down the pike(and all indications are they will).
            There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by no one
              I read somewhere (and not just lonewolf's remarks) that they were not illegal - maybe unethical but not illegal or banned in baseball.
              Unethical may not be as bad as illegal, but it does mean something and it's not good.

Comment

None of the things that McGuire is alleged to have done were against the rules of MLB when he was playing MLB and I don't believe in retroactive justice.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  None of the things that McGuire is alleged to have done were against the rules of MLB when he was playing MLB and I don't believe in retroactive justice.
                  Not so. Steroids were made illegal in baseball in June 1991 by order of Commissioner Fay Vincent.

The problem is that punative testing didn't begin until this past year. Furthermore, if a commissioner suspended a player for almost anything (not just PED usage), the case was "always" appealed by the MLBP union, with the length of a suspension often (usually?) reduced.

There's a good baseball and steroids timeline here:
                  http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2006/ ... eline.html

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                    Not so. Steroids were made illegal in baseball in June 1991 by order of Commissioner Fay Vincent.

To be fair, androstenedione was not one of the banned substances when McGwire was taking it, and it was legally available in the U.S. as an over-the-counter supplement(though NOW illegal).
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                      Originally posted by dj

To be fair, androstenedione was not one of the banned substances when McGwire was taking it, and it was legally available in the U.S. as an over-the-counter supplement(though NOW illegal).
                      Yes, in the context of McGwire, you are correct. And to McGwire's credit, shortly after the andro flap occurred, he announced he was no longer going to use it.

I was responding to the broader statement made by many that PEDs were not illegal until very recently.

Comment

Tough question. If I was one of the multitude of sports writers that turned a blind eye to the drug use in MLB and the NFL...it would be hypocritical to not vote for him.

cman

Comment

Working...
                        X