Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ace photogs refuse to shoot masters nationals on account of wristband mandate

This is deeply troubling:
    https://masterstrack.blog/2021/07/va...ers-nationals/

My take: It's a popular public event. Photojournalists should cover such events.

Perhaps athletes shouldn't be forced to wear green (vaccinated) or red (unvaccinated) wristbands. But do-no-harm stance is a stretch.

K. E. N

I don't know if I could roll my eyes any harder...

Comment

I respect their right to make this decision, but I very much disagree. As Ken stated in the blog, the competitors have decided to accept wearing them. Presumably that includes any blowback that might ensue from random trolls.

Comment

What was the purpose of those wristbands anyway? Did they make the unvaccinated athletes run in separate heats, or have to sit in a different section of the stands when they're not competing?

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
          What was the purpose of those wristbands anyway?

If I were one of the competitors in a MASTERS meet I'd sure as hell would want to know who to give a wide berth. Even vaccinated there's still a chance of getting a breakthrough infection from someone who's not..

Really, being vaccinated should be a prerequisite for being allowed to compete, especially in this particular meet.
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by KenStone View Post
            This is deeply troubling:
            https://masterstrack.blog/2021/07/va...ers-nationals/

Perhaps athletes shouldn't be forced to wear green (vaccinated) or red (unvaccinated) wristbands. But do-no-harm stance is a stretch.

K. E. N
            Perhaps? The only purpose is to try to make the unvaccinated pariahs. Vaccinated people should just live their lives. From everything I've read, In shape athletes from 35 to 50 years old who have chosen not to get vaccinated made the best risk-management decision for their personal risk (risk from Covid likelihood * consequence < risk of vaccination likelihood of 1 * consequence). I'm glad I didn't arrange to compete in this meet.

Comment

Originally posted by moreover View Post
              From everything I've read, In shape athletes from 35 to 50 years old who have chosen not to get vaccinated made the best risk-management decision for their personal risk (risk from Covid likelihood * consequence < risk of vaccination likelihood of 1 * consequence).
              You've read scientifically validated material that says athletes 35 to 50 have a greater likelihood of death or severe health consequences from the vaccine than from Covid itself? Where?
              Last edited by 18.99s; 07-19-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Perhaps? The only purpose is to try to make the unvaccinated pariahs. Vaccinated people should just live their lives. From everything I've read, In shape athletes from 35 to 50 years old who have chosen not to get vaccinated made the best risk-management decision for their personal risk (risk from Covid likelihood * consequence < risk of vaccination likelihood of 1 * consequence). I'm glad I didn't arrange to compete in this meet.
                Not getting vaccinated is stupid ....especially that age group.

More than 97 percent of hospitalizations are among those who are unvaccinated, Walensky said, and almost all covid-19 deaths — which climbed 26 percent in the past week — are among people who have not received a shot.

“Unvaccinated Americans account for virtually all recent covid-19 hospitalizations and deaths,” said Jeff Zients, the White House coronavirus coordinator. “Each covid-19 death is tragic, and those happening now are even more tragic because they are preventable.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-cases-rising/

Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-19-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                  What was the purpose of those wristbands anyway? Did they make the unvaccinated athletes run in separate heats, or have to sit in a different section of the stands when they're not competing?
                  I think it can be useful to know who's vaccinated and who's not when dealing people.

Comment

The medical information can be useful to those attending the meet but I can understand the photographers not wanting to contribute to vaccine shaming by those prone to do so.

Comment

It could have been addressed by asking for permission of the athletes in the photos prior to sharing or posting them anywhere.

Comment

By calling the unvaccinated stupid, you just made the photogs case for them. Good job.

Comment

If you think you have made the right decision, there is nothing to hide. You should wear the wristband, not just at a track meet but at every public place. I wish I could tell all the unvaccinated people from distance so that I would know which people to avoid in public.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                            I wish I could tell all the unvaccinated people from distance so that I would know which people to avoid in public.
                            Yep. All the folks in my close circle are vaxxed with the exception of one couple. It's been nice knowing them . . .

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                              If you think you have made the right decision, there is nothing to hide. You should wear the wristband, not just at a track meet but at every public place. I wish I could tell all the unvaccinated people from distance so that I would know which people to avoid in public.
                              Aren't you vaccinated?

Comment

Working...
                              X