Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food waste (important)

The lie of “expired” food and the disastrous truth of America’s food waste problem

Stop throwing your food away.

https://www.vox.com/22559293/food-wa...el-best-before

In my house I am the judger by sight and smell. It's how I grew up. If it looks ok it either gets eaten or stored. If it doesn't out it goes. I don't throw much out.

My wife is a label person. Her mother is a label person. I can show her the article and video(s) but remember that comment about the need to convince the anti-vaxxer's mother that the vaccine is ok? It is the same thing here and it isn't going to change.

Fortunately my daughter seems to have picked up my habits in storing and consuming foods.

Comment

I eat most of my meals out at restaurants. Breakfast and snacks are usually at home. I check the dates on yogurt when I buy it and only buy an amount that I know I will finish before the "best by" date.

Fruit is the problem. I refuse to eat fruit that makes me chase it around the kitchen. Blackberries can look great on the shelf, but in a couple days they sometimes take on that Chia Pet look, and that's when they go bye-bye.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
        In my house I am the judger by sight and smell. It's how I grew up. If it looks ok it either gets eaten or stored. If it doesn't out it goes. I don't throw much out.

My wife is a label person. Her mother is a label person. I can show her the article and video(s) but remember that comment about the need to convince the anti-vaxxer's mother that the vaccine is ok? It is the same thing here and it isn't going to change.

Fortunately my daughter seems to have picked up my habits in storing and consuming foods.
        This! Exactly this.

Guys at work (fire station) are forever trying to throw things out. I tell them "milk will let you know when it's bad."

If you put milk back up as soon as you're done it lasts much longer than the "best by" date. That's another thing, the date is a sell not a toss date.

I despise food waste. I don't understand it. Food = money. It's amazing how casually people throw away food. Grr....!
        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

My philosophy is, when in doubt throw it out.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
            In my house I am the judger by sight and smell.
            Absolutely. If the milk smells OK, if the bread isn't green, I don't care what the label says. My wife goes by expiration dates, but she's worried about the kids.

Good news - local ordinances have repealed some of the old laws about throwing away unused foods from grocery stores and restaurants - Food Banks may come and get many of these foods.

Bad news - there's no method to salvaging home food that people don't want any more, except to drop them off at a Food Bank, where it must be tossed if used at all.

Comment

On bread
              If there's mold, it's old!

On milk
              If it's sour, it's past the hour!

On sauces
              If it's off color, use another!

If it's stale, throw it in the garbage pail!

Seriously, I rarely toss food away!
              But after getting food poisoning from eating old broccoli in 2015, I'll fling it rather than bring it!

LOL

Comment

My Eastern Kentucky grandmother taught me that the bread was still good, if you just cut the fuzzy parts off. Of course, we used to also drink water out of the rain barrel that collected water off of the barn roof.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                  But after getting food poisoning from eating old broccoli in 2015, I'll fling it rather than bring it!
                  When I was young and foolish(er), I opened a can of Hersey's Syrup and then put it back in the cupboard. The next time I used it (month later?), I was egesting all sorts of nasty colored stuff top and bottom (TMI?) for two days. In my investigation of causes, I put the can opener on the Hersey's and inside it looked like the Amazon rain forest. Now I put all sorts of stuff in the fridge that probably doesn't need it.

Comment

Learn to shop, cook, portion, freeze, defrost, and preserve and you'll waste very little.

Comment

One way to cut down on the amount of excess food being tossed is to eat a decent meal before you go grocery shopping. Shopping while hungry is just asking for trouble . . .

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                        My Eastern Kentucky grandmother taught me that the bread was still good, if you just cut the fuzzy parts off. Of course, we used to also drink water out of the rain barrel that collected water off of the barn roof.
                        In enlightened 1920-30s SW Oklahoma, we ran our roof runoff through a charcoal filter into a brick-lined cistern. Of course, we also drank water directly from the Red River alongside the horses. AFAIK, none of us, man or beast, got sick.

Comment

I ignore the labels on most foods, except for salads and perishables. If I see my cheese has green on the edges I cut it off and eat the rest. I've learned what to keep and what to throw out by it's look and smell. My wife follows the labels, but then she won't eat anything cooked past 3 days, so I am the left over King. Funny thing because I was raised in a well off environment and my wife had periods where food was rationed or hard to get.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

In enlightened 1920-30s SW Oklahoma, we ran our roof runoff through a charcoal filter into a brick-lined cistern. Of course, we also drank water directly from the Red River alongside the horses. AFAIK, none of us, man or beast, got sick.
                            That is why you are likely to bury most of us on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                              I ignore the labels on most foods, except for salads and perishables. If I see my cheese has green on the edges I cut it off and eat the rest. I've learned what to keep and what to throw out by it's look and smell. My wife follows the labels, but then she won't eat anything cooked past 3 days, so I am the left over King. Funny thing because I was raised in a well off environment and my wife had periods where food was rationed or hard to get.
                              I'm the leftover person in my house. In fact, there are a lot of dishes I much prefer with a few days of refrigeration and a reheating over fresh out of the oven day 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X