Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    In fact, there are a lot of dishes I much prefer with a few days of refrigeration and a reheating over fresh out of the oven day 1.
    All the time. Italian & Mexican food particularly but a lot of food tastes better with a day or two of 'melding' . . .

Comment

I don't think I have had "leftovers" in more than 20 years.

Comment

Outside of Egg McMuffins it's a rare meal out that does not end up with leftovers - my appetite isn't up to most restaurant's output. Two for the price of one is the way I look at it.

Comment

I use to be able to eat a prodigious amount of food and not gain weight. I still don't gain (much) weight but, like hammy, I just can't eat all the standard restaurant serving anymore. Where I used to have the large sirloin, I now have the small and take half home.

Comment

I cringe when I hear about “throwing out” food. First, most of it is edible and perfectly good. Second, do none of you compost? Most of the time our trash output fits into one of those small grocery style plastic bags- not much when you take out all of the compostable and recyclable.
            I laughed when we had a storm induced 50 hour power outage last month. Saw a Facebook post from one person wanting to give away or throw out the entire contents of her fridge and freezer 4 hours into it. I did not compost anything.
            Any dumpster divers out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S View Post
              Second, do none of you compost?
              Composting isn't a thing for apartment dwellers, condo livers and townhome residents.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                All the time. Italian & Mexican food particularly but a lot of food tastes better with a day or two of 'melding' . . .
                My wife is Italian and I can milk Lasagna and Baked Ziti for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Composting isn't a thing for apartment dwellers, condo livers and townhome residents.
                  depends on where you live I guess; all. my organic waste ends up as compost (via my trash company)

Comment

Whenever I buy food as takeout or delivery, I usually buy 2 to 5 meals at a time, which means some or most of it becomes leftovers. But it means I save money on delivery fees (which typically don't increase with the number of meals), or save time by using one trip to the restaurant to get multiple meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S View Post
                      . . . do none of you compost?
                      My plan is to end up as compost, spread around the backyard . . .
                      Last edited by bad hammy; 07-20-2021, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                        I don't think I have had "leftovers" in more than 20 years.
                        I'm not a leftovers guy either, with one exception. I prefer reheated pizza over fresh because I like my crust with some resistance. Fresh is too limp and the reheating stiffens out the crust just enough to be what I like.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

depends on where you live I guess; all. my organic waste ends up as compost (via my trash company)
                          Door to door trash service, with separate containers for compostables, recyclables, and disposables?

No such thing in my complex. I take garbage bags to the big ol' dumpster and that's it. (they do have a few blue recycling bins near the dumpster, but they're almost always full because they're way too few for a complex of over 150 units).

Comment

For the non home owners, you can always start a worm culture, or befriend a neighbor or local urban farm that composts. Regarding recycling, my feeling is that if you have the local capability to recycle but do not, you are just paying someone else to litter for you. I judge a society not by what they produce, but rather by what they throw away.

Comment

Eugene has a very good recycling, composting system....3 separate bins...garbage is just a tiny thing.

Comment

There's a NGO in Singapore that recycles fruits and vegetables that grew too "ugly" to go on market, they buy and sell at a steep discount. I think that's a brilliant idea against food waste.

Comment

Working...
                                X