Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently did some spring cleaning, found a number of sealed items that were past their best by date, but likely still fine. I made a little free pile by the road (a very popular thing here) and put out a box of food, it was taken quickly!

Yeah, those cheerios that were best by December 2019 might taste a little off now, but maybe someone is feeding them to their chickens or something.

Comment

Originally posted by xw View Post
      There's a NGO in Singapore that recycles fruits and vegetables that grew too "ugly" to go on market, they buy and sell at a steep discount. I think that's a brilliant idea against food waste.
      Those tend to be a bit of a scam. "Ugly" fruit and vegetables are almost always turned into juices or used in prepared foods (like you might find ugly carrots chopped up in a chicken noodle soup).

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

Those tend to be a bit of a scam. "Ugly" fruit and vegetables are almost always turned into juices or used in prepared foods (like you might find ugly carrots chopped up in a chicken noodle soup).
        Yeah, that also can well be the case. I don't proclaim to know how exactly they do it, or at which phase of the supply chain they try to procure the goods or whether they actually mean the ugliest of the still-good-looking-enough...they have been running for a few years now and we'll see. Perhaps it's just my wishful hope that all usable food finds the chance to be consumed.

Comment

Working...
        X