Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
    Haven't looked it up, but Italy will make that list if we allow the winter games. As does Japan. And France.

Heck, in that case, I realize that the US has three different winter games cities itself.

Okay let's forget the winter games, they make it too easy.
    And Canada. Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

The marathons and race-walks will be held in the Sunshine Coast (an hour's drive north of Brisbane) - the course they usually use for the Sunshine Coast marathon is fairly flat.
      Did not know they were doing that but yes, the SC course is pretty flat.

But for non-Australians, even if they decided to hold it in Brisbane itself, the city is situated on a river floodplain, so there's enough flat land near the river as used in the 1982 CWG marathon won by De Castella. The only hills were nicely place at ~35-38 km to break the field up before the flat run back to the finish.

One of the earlier proposed marathon routes finished in the athletics stadium until somebody pointed out that a rise of 60m between 41-42km might be a bit harsh for the runners!

Comment

The marathons and race-walks will be held in the Sunshine Coast (an hour's drive north of Brisbane) - the course they usually use for the Sunshine Coast marathon is fairly flat.
        Which they claim they'll claim they'll cut to about 20 mins with a public transport infrastructure upgrade. I'll believe that when I see it!

Comment

With LA hosting in 2028, and Brisbane in 2032, we might as well start the four city rotation of Summer Olympic sites. We can add London and Tokyo, and each site gets to host a Summer Olympic Games every 16 years! If you want to switch Brisbane with either Sydney or Melbourne, then that is fine with me. But a four city rotation in four different continents is a good idea that probably won't happen for a number of reasons.
          Last edited by TWalsh; 07-22-2021, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWalsh View Post
            With LA hosting in 2028, and Brisbane in 2032, we might as well start the four city rotation of Summer Olympic sites. We can add London and Tokyo, and each site gets to host a Summer Olympic Games every 16 years! If you want to switch Brisbane with either Sydney or Melbourne, then that is fine with me. But a four city rotation in four different continents is a good idea that probably won't happen for a number of reasons.
            I made that suggestion God knows how many years back. Hosting should rotate between continents. If Seoul or Beijing wants to bid against Tokyo, so be it, but the decision is mostly made within that continent and Tokyo would be the default. Trouble is Europe would not like this rotational system at all.
            Last edited by Vault-emort; 07-22-2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post

Which they claim they'll claim they'll cut to about 20 mins with a public transport infrastructure upgrade. I'll believe that when I see it!
              It would need to be a supertrain to achieve that since driving at 100k/hr takes an hour on the highway.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post

The 20 mins is from athlete accomodation to venues. Sunshine Coast will have its own mini-village so it's 20 mins max from that village to venues. No one was promising travel between cities would be 20 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by rhizobium View Post

The 20 mins is from athlete accomodation to venues. Sunshine Coast will have its own mini-village so it's 20 mins max from that village to venues. No one was promising travel between cities would be 20 mins.
                    That makes more sense, especially as the "Sunshine Coast" train line doesn't go anywhere near the actual coast! They'd have to build a new high speed rail service along the coast to get from the main village (app. Bowen HIlls station) to Maroochydore in 20 minutes.

Have they confirmed that OG course will be the SC marathon course? Anyway, here's a link to the current course they'll be using next month - note there's a big loop and two smaller loops:

https://www.sunshinecoastmarathon.co...nner-info/maps

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

That makes more sense, especially as the "Sunshine Coast" train line doesn't go anywhere near the actual coast! They'd have to build a new high speed rail service along the coast to get from the main village (app. Bowen HIlls station) to Maroochydore in 20 minutes.

Have they confirmed that OG course will be the SC marathon course? Anyway, here's a link to the current course they'll be using next month - note there's a big loop and two smaller loops:

https://www.sunshinecoastmarathon.co...nner-info/maps
                      I've seen it mentioned multiple times that it'll be at Alexandra Headlands.

Comment

Originally posted by rhizobium View Post

I've seen it mentioned multiple times that it'll be at Alexandra Headlands.
                        Yes, but I couldn't find any lower level detail - not surprising 11 years ahead! Unless, something strange happens in the interim, I'd imagine they'd use the current course, maybe tweaked for future roadworks/security/grandstand reasons.

The travel time statement is definitely in relation to travel within each zone from athlete accommodation. Sunshine Coast zone is rated at 23 minutes max but average athlete travel time across all zones is expected to be19 minutes. The Sunshine Coast village is right in the middle of Maroochydore, so within walking distance of the marathon course.

Details on this and an hilariously balanced budget are in this bid process document (.pdf):

https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/...e-Response.pdf

Also, if anybody is interested in the IOC background shenanigans, a reasonably long article covering that is at GamesBids.com:

https://gamesbids.com/eng/robs-bidbl...ouldnt-notice/

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

I'd imagine they'd use the current course, maybe tweaked for future roadworks/security/grandstand reasons.
                          I've spent a fair bit of time at the start/finish line over the past decade.

Well, the Alex Surf Club anyway...

Comment

Given it is to the north of Sidney, the obvious question is what are its average July temperatures?

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                              Given it is to the north of Sidney, the obvious question is what are its average July temperatures?
                              Relevant data and links are here:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_040214.shtml

Comment

Mid 60's with low humidity? Are they crazy?????

Comment

Working...
                                X