X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

Personally, I've had about enough major competitions in Asia/Australia...hate the time differences....seems like those making the decisions are in love with that part of the world lately. Next Winter Olympics back to Bejing.
    Of course, it's a no brainer that the USA 4% of the world population should be accommodated ahead of the other 96%.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Personally, I've had about enough major competitions in Asia/Australia...hate the time differences....seems like those making the decisions are in love with that part of the world lately. Next Winter Olympics back to Bejing.
    In Beijing next year because of the greed of the IOC....

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

To be fair, the majority of the world's population live between about 5 and 10 hours ahead of UTC.
    But the ones who pay a huge portion of the bill is 5 hours behind UTC.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied

To be fair, the majority of the world's population live between about 5 and 10 hours ahead of UTC.

Leave a comment:

• SoCal45
    replied
    Originally posted by TWalsh View Post
    With LA hosting in 2028, and Brisbane in 2032, we might as well start the four city rotation of Summer Olympic sites. We can add London and Tokyo, and each site gets to host a Summer Olympic Games every 16 years! If you want to switch Brisbane with either Sydney or Melbourne, then that is fine with me. But a four city rotation in four different continents is a good idea that probably won't happen for a number of reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    August would be at least a bit warmer and not interfere with American football telecasts.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Mid 60's with low humidity? Are they crazy?????

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Given it is to the north of Sidney, the obvious question is what are its average July temperatures?
    Relevant data and links are here:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_040214.shtml

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Given it is to the north of Sidney, the obvious question is what are its average July temperatures?

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by El Toro View Post

I'd imagine they'd use the current course, maybe tweaked for future roadworks/security/grandstand reasons.
    I've spent a fair bit of time at the start/finish line over the past decade.

Well, the Alex Surf Club anyway...

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by rhizobium View Post

I've seen it mentioned multiple times that it'll be at Alexandra Headlands.
    Yes, but I couldn't find any lower level detail - not surprising 11 years ahead! Unless, something strange happens in the interim, I'd imagine they'd use the current course, maybe tweaked for future roadworks/security/grandstand reasons.

The travel time statement is definitely in relation to travel within each zone from athlete accommodation. Sunshine Coast zone is rated at 23 minutes max but average athlete travel time across all zones is expected to be19 minutes. The Sunshine Coast village is right in the middle of Maroochydore, so within walking distance of the marathon course.

Details on this and an hilariously balanced budget are in this bid process document (.pdf):

https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/...e-Response.pdf

Also, if anybody is interested in the IOC background shenanigans, a reasonably long article covering that is at GamesBids.com:

https://gamesbids.com/eng/robs-bidbl...ouldnt-notice/

Leave a comment:

• rhizobium
    replied
    Originally posted by El Toro View Post

That makes more sense, especially as the "Sunshine Coast" train line doesn't go anywhere near the actual coast! They'd have to build a new high speed rail service along the coast to get from the main village (app. Bowen HIlls station) to Maroochydore in 20 minutes.

Have they confirmed that OG course will be the SC marathon course? Anyway, here's a link to the current course they'll be using next month - note there's a big loop and two smaller loops:

https://www.sunshinecoastmarathon.co...nner-info/maps
    I've seen it mentioned multiple times that it'll be at Alexandra Headlands.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by rhizobium View Post

The 20 mins is from athlete accomodation to venues. Sunshine Coast will have its own mini-village so it's 20 mins max from that village to venues. No one was promising travel between cities would be 20 mins.
    That makes more sense, especially as the "Sunshine Coast" train line doesn't go anywhere near the actual coast! They'd have to build a new high speed rail service along the coast to get from the main village (app. Bowen HIlls station) to Maroochydore in 20 minutes.

Have they confirmed that OG course will be the SC marathon course? Anyway, here's a link to the current course they'll be using next month - note there's a big loop and two smaller loops:

https://www.sunshinecoastmarathon.co...nner-info/maps

Leave a comment:

• rhizobium
    replied
    Originally posted by AS View Post

Which they claim they'll claim they'll cut to about 20 mins with a public transport infrastructure upgrade. I'll believe that when I see it!
    The 20 mins is from athlete accomodation to venues. Sunshine Coast will have its own mini-village so it's 20 mins max from that village to venues. No one was promising travel between cities would be 20 mins.

Leave a comment:

• Steele
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

The marathons and race-walks will be held in the Sunshine Coast (an hour's drive north of Brisbane) - the course they usually use for the Sunshine Coast marathon is fairly flat.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X