Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeremyp
    replied
    Unbelievable last 50 by Finke, U.S. in 800 free for gold. From 4th to 1st.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Can we look forward to seeing synchronized shot put someday? Synchronized diving is just so exciting!

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    The perfect storm for Retton, and the perfect storm (for the wrong reason) for Biles. Would things have been different if not for the pandemic? And is Sunisa Lee ready to step up to the spotlight, or is she one Olympics too early?

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
    Retton had perfect timing - a win at a time when every American could watch on live television, during the first Olympics in the US in a very long time, during a period when patriotism was riding high, and with a very TV-friendly personality.
    But I'll remain convinced that Szabo was the better gymnast that weekend.
    You forgot to add "six of the top eight gymnasts from the previous season were not competing and the seventh was injured." That left Szabo, who should have won. .

Leave a comment:

• cigar95
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    (Neither does Retton, for that matter.)
    Retton had perfect timing - a win at a time when every American could watch on live television, during the first Olympics in the US in a very long time, during a period when patriotism was riding high, and with a very TV-friendly personality.
    But I'll remain convinced that Szabo was the better gymnast that weekend.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

They make the horses watch videos of other horses dancing and prancing.

Just kidding, I have no idea.
    Well, we did not have electricity, so no videos,

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Watched some Equestrian. HTH do they teach a horse to dance/prance unnaturally and with no visible signal from the rider?
    They make the horses watch videos of other horses dancing and prancing.

Just kidding, I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Watched some Equestrian. HTH do they teach a horse to dance/prance unnaturally and with no visible signal from the rider? I rode horses from toddler to leaving the farm for the Army. A rare few smart ones could open barn/granary doors and gates and herd cattle but they only walked, trotted, cantered, or galloped..or bucked.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    ...Munich takes the cake for 'worst' - it was also the coming-out party for the Steroid Era.
    no, that was '64 and '68

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

Had Dianne Durham not been injured before the 1984 Trials, no one would be talking about Retton now, given that Durham won 4 events at the U.S. Champs (including the AA) the year before.
    See, silver lining. With Biles out, now someone else might be America's Sweetheart...or Russia' Sweetheart...or...

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Retton retired after the American Cup in spring of 1985. I don't know if that was the plan, or she realized she decided to quit because she couldn't compete with the world's best. Either way, it was a smart marketing move.

Comaneci had a growth spurt in 1977-78, and lost badly in the 1978 Worlds. She reinvented herself to win the Europeans in 1979, but then was forced to withdraw midway through the Worlds later that year due to a wrist injury. Yet she almost won the AA title in Moscow. She deserves a lot of credit for resilience, but I guess quitting was not an option under the Romanian system at the time.

Korbut didn't win anything except the "imagination" of TV audience, so she really does not belong in the conversation. (Neither does Retton, for that matter.)
    Had Dianne Durham not been injured before the 1984 Trials, no one would be talking about Retton now, given that Durham won 4 events at the U.S. Champs (including the AA) the year before.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Agreed.

It will still go down as one of the most 'fraught', but as mentioned above, Munich takes the cake for 'worst' - it was also the coming-out party for the Steroid Era.
    As far as the overall competition, Moscow was the worst Olympics in my lifetime.

For women's gymnastics in particular, LA was the absolute worst. Not even close.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

No. She already had that, after winning gold in 2016 and never losing a World Championship she entered. At the moment, she is where Nadia was in 1980. And by the way, Mary Lou retired after Los Angeles 1984 (or was it 1985 or '86?).
    Retton retired after the American Cup in spring of 1985. I don't know if that was the plan, or she realized she decided to quit because she couldn't compete with the world's best. Either way, it was a smart marketing move.

Comaneci had a growth spurt in 1977-78, and lost badly in the 1978 Worlds. She reinvented herself to win the Europeans in 1979, but then was forced to withdraw midway through the Worlds later that year due to a wrist injury. Yet she almost won the AA title in Moscow. She deserves a lot of credit for resilience, but I guess quitting was not an option under the Romanian system at the time.

Korbut didn't win anything except the "imagination" of TV audience, so she really does not belong in the conversation. (Neither does Retton, for that matter.)

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    It was five athletes who passed her before she dropped to the track. She physically could've finished but mentally likely couldn't take the defeat.sydney2004.png

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I disagree. Favor had been outperforming those other runners all year and she looked better than them in the rounds. Anyone who was paying attention knows that something mental happened, she didn't blow up. Go back and watch that race and you'll see that the other runners didn't pass her until after she cracked, not before. It was as strang as anything I've ever seen in an Olympic final.
    I disagree. She began to struggle after she was passed as any other runner who had run out of gas. She fell when about 8 runners went by her. They had just run a pretty quick 600-700m at that point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X