Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    That may be the biggest news of the Games so far. Biles was over-hyped and that enormous pressure has to be let off somewhere (if that indeed that was the problem).
    May be? Come on man.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
      May be? Come on man.
      OK, it is to Joe and Jane Sixpack.
      The much bigger news so far for me is the Austrian bike lady, and the USA mBasketball and wSoccer losses!
      The Biles story is just sad in so many ways.

Comment

It remains to be seen if this was a brief panic moment (given the troubles the team had on Sunday), or this was the beginning of a Ronda Rousey repeat. She was so used to winning, that when she lost for the first time, it broke her so bad that soon enough she left the UFC.

Simone felt that the state she was in today would have cost the U.S. a medal. If she stays for the individual all-around, let's see if she can clear her head and do what she has always done, and come away with a medal, if not win once again. But will she bring the new routines with her, or hold back? That may depend on what she does on the first apparatus.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          OK, it is to Joe and Jane Sixpack.
          The much bigger news so far for me is the Austrian bike lady, and the USA mBasketball and wSoccer losses!
          The Biles story is just sad in so many ways.
          Aye, for the Austrian biker. They practically penned the win in for the Dutch; but when she didn't come back to the peloton, panic set in as the kilometers wound down.

Comment

Just now my wife was on a Zoom call with her coworkers and some idiot made some comment about how Biles was a "quitter". Do not know how she worded it, but my wife shut that crap down immediately.

Comment

Biles not sure she will continue.
              https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...-medical-issue

Won't NBC feel special if she stops?

Comment

The pressure/pain that has been put on this young woman is unconscionable. It is one thing to be lauded as the GOAT of your profession but the anxiety must be suffocating when the world expects perfection every time you perform. I hope she is well compensated.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  The pressure/pain that has been put on this young woman is unconscionable. It is one thing to be lauded as the GOAT of your profession but the anxiety must be suffocating when the world expects perfection every time you perform. I hope she is well compensated.
                  I don't see Biles as a victim. It seems to me that she embraced the fame and celebrity, she was no shrinking violet.

Comment

I have to dare ask, is this shaping into the worst, or most black-eyed Olympics, ever?

Naomi out
                    Simone out
                    USA hoops gonna be out! (I'll call it!). If Pop gets fired in the middle of the Games, it's really gonna look bad!
                    Pandemic, with no fans

I know, some of you might put Munich up there, due to the hostage crisis. Horrific, but that was off the field. But on-field, have the Games been this embarrassing? OK, Ben Johnson caught in Seoul was big, but that was one event! Big event, but one event! There's at least four bad ones, this year!
                    Last edited by einnod23; 07-27-2021, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23 View Post
                      I have to dare ask, is this shaping into the worst, or most black-eyed Olympics, ever?

Naomi out
                      Simone out
                      USA hoops gonna be out! (I'll call it!). If Pop gets fired in the middle of the Games, it's really gonna look bad!
                      Pandemic, with no fans

I know, some of you might put Munich up there, due to the hostage crisis. Horrific, but that was off the field. But on-field, have the Games been this embarrassing? OK, Ben Johnson caught in Seoul was big, but that was one event! Big event, but one event! There's at least four bad ones, this year!
                      I guess for folks who have bought into the NBC narrative, the Olympics are a catastrophe but most of the world don't see it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                        I guess for folks who have bought into the NBC narrative, the Olympics are a catastrophe but most of the world don't see it that way.
                        Agreed.

It will still go down as one of the most 'fraught', but as mentioned above, Munich takes the cake for 'worst' - it was also the coming-out party for the Steroid Era.

Comment

I don't see Biles as a victim. It seems to me that she embraced the fame and celebrity, she was no shrinking violet.
                          Indeed....Already won once....should have quit when she was on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Indeed....Already won once....should have quit when she was on top.
                            But THIS was to be her Olga, Nadia, and Mary Lou party!

Comment

Well, until yesterday, she had made a strong argument for being on top. Number one ranked gymnast, and performing a number of feats no one had ever tried in competition. It is impossible for us to know what was going on inside her head. The tragedy of it is that it all transpired on the largest stage imaginable.

Comment

Yep, none of those things listed bother me in the least. I love upsets.

Comment

Working...
                                X