Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

I am with Lonewolf on this.

And as you have no idea what has gone on behind the scenes for Biles over the past 10 years or so, your comments are in particular bad taste.

And given the evilness of Larry Nassar and Steve Penny, nothing would surprise me, in terms of how Biles may have been victimised, thus leading to the mental issues that finally she was unable to cope with.

IMO, what has happened to Biles, is a great failing of the US sporting system in not having available systems to help monitor the mental health of its elite athletes.
    You are correct.

"Envy (from Latin invidia) is an emotion which occurs when a person lacks another's superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it.[1]"

Rich, famous, female athletes cannot make public claims regarding mental illness. They couldn't have come that far if they really weren't superwomen. They cannot be trusted if they say such things. And God forbid if a man did the same thing. Well, here's the bright side: There is hope for people with mental illness. I don't know what hope there is for the jealous and they don't count anyway. I work with some of the most economically marginalized people in the world and all their attendant challenges. Some of them, even with a needle in their arm, are a thousand times more likeable than these sharp-shooting snipers in sideline trenches, always on the ready for the next easy target. Down in the mud with a gun and their keyboard. Ubermensch not, little schadenfreude snot.
    Last edited by 1.609; 07-29-2021, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post

5th. And those idiot announcers didn't notice his finish until the last five meters. I'm shouting "look at Finke".
      Yep. I saw him coming from the last turn. The m/s graphics are a great help.

Comment

• Good for Suni Lee. I'm reminded of a quote from 30 Rock, "when a big one falls, four little ones move up." Something close to that. Biles is an obvious GOAT, yet someone else has Gold. Yohan Blake can relate to Suni Lee.
        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Lee was simply flawless. In her current form Biles would have done well to beat Andrade for silver and likely would have been 3rd.
          There are no strings on me

Comment

• The Tokyo Olympic organizing committee on Thursday reported 24 more COVID-19 cases associated with the games, the highest daily count since infections began being compiled from the start of this month.

The 24 cases, bringing the cumulative total to 193, include three athletes from overseas in Tokyo for the Olympics, which opened last Friday following an unprecedented one-year postponement due to the coronavirus pandemic. The committee said the three were all staying in the athletes' village.

American pole vaulter Sam Kendricks, a two-time world champion, will not be competing after testing positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee said in a tweet. The Australian track and field team are temporarily self-isolating after coming into brief contact with him.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...hour-span.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
              On a similar tack, I remember a few Olympics back (it might have been Sydney in 2000), reading a newspaper article by the British-based American writer Bill Bryson. He had spent a day moving around venues watching a number of sports but it wasn't until about the fifth one that he saw a sport he had ever tried himself. It was table tennis and he watched the number 1 ranked woman. He soon realised that he would probably only manage to return about 1 in 10 of her serves. It then dawned on him that the exponents of the other sports he had previously seen must have been of a similarly outstanding level but his unfamiliarity with their sports meant that he was unable to appreciate it.
              Well put. As far as table tennis is concerned, it is even worse than that. I won a couple of very small titles when in school/college. Many years later, playing a (Chinese) student working towards a Ph.D., I could not return even one of his serves - all with vicious spin on them. If I recall, I lost about 21-5, all my points coming on my serves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                The Tokyo Olympic organizing committee on Thursday reported 24 more COVID-19 blahblahblahblah...
                Dude, you have your own thread for this drivel. Keep it there. This thread is about the competitions.

There are no strings on me

Comment

• Olympics: Katie Ledecky validates Simone Biles' struggles (yahoo.com)

Katie Ledecky and Simone Biles are two different people who feel different things, and before we talk about what they have in common, inescapable pressure of their own necessary creation, we must acknowledge this.

“I would never want to speak for Simone, or say that I know what she's feeling,” Ledecky said here Wednesday. “Because none of us do.”

“But, I understand it,” she continued, and then she offered wisdom from a world that only a few human beings have ever visited.

Comment

• And again, it must be repeated, that Simone is in a much more dangerous sport, at an age (24) when most have retired (with the very rare exception, of course, of Oksana Chusovitina, the very last of the old Soviet gymnasts, her career spanning 5 calendar decades). Once again, one need only to read and/or watch what happened to Sang Lan, when one experiences a split-second distraction.
                    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 07-29-2021, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Luka's busting up box-and-ones and double-teams; nearly triple-doubling against an old, but still good, Spanish squad with the Gasol brothers, Rudy Fernandez and Ricky Rubio. Folk talking smack about sending the rest of Slovenia to Dallas! (LOL!)

Comment

• Modern pentathlon coach who struck horse sent for training (yahoo.com)

A German modern pentathlon coach who struck a horse at the Olympics was ordered Monday to undergo training on animal welfare before she can work again at major competitions.

TV footage from the Olympics last month showed Kim Raisner leaning over a fence to strike Saint Boy, which refused to jump fences in the show jumping round.

Comment

Working...
                        X