Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas, Oklahoma to SEC talk

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Wow! Arizona and ASU in the Big 10?

    That is some expansion...odd but makes sense.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-24-2021, 01:23 AM.

    Comment


    • #32
      But who would the Pac 12 get...Boise State?..staying at 10 doesn't seem viable

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by KevinR View Post
        Got it. My only knowledge of that type of arrangement was coaching my son's soccer team years ago. For some reason, the organizers would put us in the first tier one season (we would have no wins), then place us in the third tier (undefeated). Never figured out we were second tier only. That went on for 4 seasons.
        The National Capital Soccer League (Northern Virginia and suburban (DC) Maryland) in the late 80s, early 90s was a nightmare. 50 teams in each age division, Under-10 to Under -19, ten teams per division, simply called Div 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Bottom 2 teams in each division were relegated each season (fall or spring) and top 2 teams were promoted. NINE YEAR OLDS in this cutthroat arrangement and you can imagine what the parents were like!!! It was gawdawful, but if your kid was good, that's what you had to do.

        Comment


        • #34
          Why doesn’t the Power 5 merge into one conference and be done with it. The ACC can become the Rast Division, the SEC the South, the Big 10 the North, the the PAC-12 the West. And the Big-12 is done for anyway.
          Last edited by Halfmiler2; 07-24-2021, 01:29 PM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Meanwhile....

            SEC has been in serious contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State. Not clear if this will materialize, but they have their eyes on a true 20 team MEGA conference. OU and Texas just the start.

            https://mobile.twitter.com/JackMacCF...78701135384579

            Comment


            • #36
              Swinney believes Oklahoma and Texas to SEC is just the beginning

              https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...mpression=true

              Comment


              • #37
                I find it hard to believe the news here coming right after athletes can accept endorsements is a coincidence.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Texas, Oklahoma officially notify Big 12 they will be leaving conference

                  The door for the Longhorns and Sooners to head to the SEC is now open.

                  https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/te...ng-conference/

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Never knew that Texas was in the precursor to the SEC. I guess they're going back "home" to a degree...

                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe...ic_Association

                    The original members were Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Johns Hopkins, North Carolina, Sewanee, Vanderbilt, and Virginia.[16][17] Virginia and North Carolina soon dropped out, even before the inaugural 1895 season.[18][19]

                    Central (Eastern Kentucky), Clemson, Cumberland, Kentucky, LSU, Mercer, Mississippi A&M (Mississippi State), Southwestern Presbyterian University, Texas, Tulane, and the University of Nashville joined the following year in 1895 as invited charter members.[20][21] The conference was originally formed for "the development and purification of college athletics throughout the South".[22]

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      I find it hard to believe the news here coming right after athletes can accept endorsements is a coincidence.
                      Totally agree. In fact, 'Bama QB Bryce Young (with no starts in college, yet) has earned nearly $1M already from NIL licensing. It will be interesting to see how both of these factors play out in the coming decade.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        Meanwhile....

                        SEC has been in serious contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State. Not clear if this will materialize, but they have their eyes on a true 20 team MEGA conference. OU and Texas just the start.

                        https://mobile.twitter.com/JackMacCF...78701135384579
                        Trying to visualize what the Conference Track Meet would look like. Swimming? Gymnastics?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Meanwhile....from Columbus...

                          Ohio State needs Big Ten to outflank SEC by joining forces with ACC/Notre Dame


                          https://www.dispatch.com/story/sport...ge/8067692002/


                          Comment


                          • #43
                            If this becomes a battle across the Mason-Dixon Line, I feel the outcome might be different this time around.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Was hoping this wouldn't happen. Nothing against Texas and Oklahoma. But I miss the old conferences. There's talk here that the SEC wants to make it a 20-team league. As a writer here said, that's not a conference anymore. That's an association. Cooter, that's interesting about the old conference. This is all being led by money of course. I guess this couldn't come at a better time for me since I'm losing interest in college sports because of the money.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by BillVol View Post
                                Was hoping this wouldn't happen. Nothing against Texas and Oklahoma. But I miss the old conferences. There's talk here that the SEC wants to make it a 20-team league. As a writer here said, that's not a conference anymore. That's an association. Cooter, that's interesting about the old conference. This is all being led by money of course. I guess this couldn't come at a better time for me since I'm losing interest in college sports because of the money.
                                I think this is the first step of football breaking away from the NCAA. It's already less than useless for top tier football. One rumor I've heard is 2 20-team conferences. Those two conferences will form their own football association. All other sports stay under the NCAA umbrella. If that happens, I'd look for the SEC to grab FSU, Miami, NC, and Clemson. Big 10 would grab USC and Oregon, ND, and probably Ok St, KU, etc.

                                There's also the long rumored 4 16-team conferences for 64 teams in the semi-pro league.

                                Who knows how it'll shake out but it will in the next two years for sure.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X