Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    What is an Amis?
    aka Murkans. Those people who think they're Exceptional, but can't seem to agree on much of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      aka Murkans. Those people who think they're Exceptional, but can't seem to agree on much of anything.
      Oh.
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I think NBC did quite a disservice to skateboarding. They showed the bottom three guys in the qualifying during the prime time. (They also showed the top qualifier.) When I saw a French guy completing a clean run, I thought that was the "norm." But then a South African and a Canadian had total disasters. It was such a turn off I chose not to watch the medal round.

NBC didn't betray my expectation when they skipped one of the semifinals of women's 100 fly (with two Americans) to show the interviews of Kalisz's and Litherland's families. Human interest stories over actual competition. That's their golden formula. Torri Huske's and Claire Curzan's families should be outraged.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
          I think NBC did quite a disservice to skateboarding. They showed the bottom three guys in the qualifying during the prime time. (They also showed the top qualifier.) When I saw a French guy completing a clean run, I thought that was the "norm." But then a South African and a Canadian had total disasters. It was such a turn off I chose not to watch the medal round.

NBC didn't betray my expectation when they skipped one of the semifinals of women's 100 fly (with two Americans) to show the interviews of Kalisz's and Litherland's families. Human interest stories over actual competition. That's their golden formula. Torri Huske's and Claire Curzan's families should be outraged.
          The skateboarding "performances" yesterday fully confirmed my feeling that the "sport" does not belong in the Olympics. In the finals many of the athletes failed to perform the "moves" 60-80% of the time and, according to the announcers, were still in contention for a medal. Can you imagine an archer, for example, missing the bullseye 80% of the time, or a pole vaulter failing to clear a height 60% of the time. Skateboarding is difficult, the athletes are very talented and dedicated. The sport, as currently conceived, simply does not belong in the OGs...and there are quite a few others like 3 on 3 basketball and rock climbing.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

they sure rushed through the men's gymnastics team finals tonight...I think they are saving up the time for the women tomorrow...what on earth would they do if both the men and women were gold medal favorites?

Comment

Skateboarders are apparently fearless and do some amazing tricks (about 50% of the time) but we saw the demo and it is not an Olympic-worthy sport. Their medical bills must rival those of rodeo cowboys.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                Skateboarders are apparently fearless and do some amazing tricks (about 50% of the time) but we saw the demo and it is not an Olympic-worthy sport. Their medical bills must rival those of rodeo cowboys.
                I' was very surprised to see they are not wearing helmets. Where's the Mom Lobby?

Comment

Interesting - my wife is watching the gymnastics now, after watching the "main feed" live this morning with the NBC commentators. And she notes that some of the commentary on the network broadcast was added after the fact, as the same announcers were actually covering another routine while these were going on.
                  During the live coverage, they actually covered all the teams. On the network broadcast, so far it's strictly USA and ROC but with the same announcers.
                  I'm sure this isn't new. (The NBC commentary on Mike Powell's 8.95 being one example I can think of.)
                  Last edited by cigar95; 07-28-2021, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X