Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cigar95
    replied
    Interesting - my wife is watching the gymnastics now, after watching the "main feed" live this morning with the NBC commentators. And she notes that some of the commentary on the network broadcast was added after the fact, as the same announcers were actually covering another routine while these were going on.
    During the live coverage, they actually covered all the teams. On the network broadcast, so far it's strictly USA and ROC but with the same announcers.
    I'm sure this isn't new. (The NBC commentary on Mike Powell's 8.95 being one example I can think of.)
    Last edited by cigar95; 07-28-2021, 03:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Skateboarders are apparently fearless and do some amazing tricks (about 50% of the time) but we saw the demo and it is not an Olympic-worthy sport. Their medical bills must rival those of rodeo cowboys.
    I' was very surprised to see they are not wearing helmets. Where's the Mom Lobby?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Skateboarders are apparently fearless and do some amazing tricks (about 50% of the time) but we saw the demo and it is not an Olympic-worthy sport. Their medical bills must rival those of rodeo cowboys.

Leave a comment:

• SoCal45
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    I think NBC did quite a disservice to skateboarding. They showed the bottom three guys in the qualifying during the prime time. (They also showed the top qualifier.) When I saw a French guy completing a clean run, I thought that was the "norm." But then a South African and a Canadian had total disasters. It was such a turn off I chose not to watch the medal round.

NBC didn't betray my expectation when they skipped one of the semifinals of women's 100 fly (with two Americans) to show the interviews of Kalisz's and Litherland's families. Human interest stories over actual competition. That's their golden formula. Torri Huske's and Claire Curzan's families should be outraged.
    they sure rushed through the men's gymnastics team finals tonight...I think they are saving up the time for the women tomorrow...what on earth would they do if both the men and women were gold medal favorites?

Leave a comment:

• SoCal45
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    I think NBC did quite a disservice to skateboarding. They showed the bottom three guys in the qualifying during the prime time. (They also showed the top qualifier.) When I saw a French guy completing a clean run, I thought that was the "norm." But then a South African and a Canadian had total disasters. It was such a turn off I chose not to watch the medal round.

NBC didn't betray my expectation when they skipped one of the semifinals of women's 100 fly (with two Americans) to show the interviews of Kalisz's and Litherland's families. Human interest stories over actual competition. That's their golden formula. Torri Huske's and Claire Curzan's families should be outraged.
    The skateboarding "performances" yesterday fully confirmed my feeling that the "sport" does not belong in the Olympics. In the finals many of the athletes failed to perform the "moves" 60-80% of the time and, according to the announcers, were still in contention for a medal. Can you imagine an archer, for example, missing the bullseye 80% of the time, or a pole vaulter failing to clear a height 60% of the time. Skateboarding is difficult, the athletes are very talented and dedicated. The sport, as currently conceived, simply does not belong in the OGs...and there are quite a few others like 3 on 3 basketball and rock climbing.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    aka Murkans. Those people who think they're Exceptional, but can't seem to agree on much of anything.
    Oh.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    What is an Amis?
    aka Murkans. Those people who think they're Exceptional, but can't seem to agree on much of anything.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

What is an Amis?
    A pair of fairly famous authors -- Kingsley & son Martin

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I think that the NBC Master Oly Plan is predicated on that idea. Amis are tired of Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc., and want their idle time to be occupied by something 'new', yet familiar. They watched the OG with their parents and find it 'comforting' to watch now. That, and the FOMO Effect, in which they don't want to miss something that other people are talking about.
    What is an Amis?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    That doesn't mean I'm switching channels to find it to watch just that I'll watch it.
    I think that the NBC Master Oly Plan is predicated on that idea. Amis are tired of Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc., and want their idle time to be occupied by something 'new', yet familiar. They watched the OG with their parents and find it 'comforting' to watch now. That, and the FOMO Effect, in which they don't want to miss something that other people are talking about.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Some of the more niche sports are interesting but it is going to be individual taste. For instance....I've never gotten the showjumping or anything that has to do with what amounts to watching a horse jump over things. I also don't find volleyball all that interesting whether it is the clothed version or unclothed version. Skateboarding I can watch as some of the X-Games aspects of the Olympics I've found ok to watch. That doesn't mean I'm switching channels to find it to watch just that I'll watch it.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Watched some skateboarding. You don't have to watch long to see it all. They either fall or they don't. These guys are no doubt skilled and athletic but, like any subjectively judged sport, the nuances are lost on the uninformed. But, if you are looking for a train wreck/injury, this is for you. I don't know how they walk away from some of the crashes/falls.
    I watched 'highlights' of the men's street comp. There are some cool tricks, but, as you say, most of them are falling down, and it's not very interesting after you've seen the tricks.

Of course . . . that's also what everyone says about the HJ!
    To each his own.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Watched some skateboarding. You don't have to watch long to see it all. They either fall or they don't. These guys are no doubt skilled and athletic but, like any subjectively judged sport, the nuances are lost on the uninformed. But, if you are looking for a train wreck/injury, this is for you. I don't know how they walk away from some of the crashes/falls.

Leave a comment:

• The Klingon
    replied
    Skateboarding??? Seriously!!!!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Leave a comment:

Working...
X