Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Olympic Athlete (At Least So Far)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Olympic Athlete (At Least So Far)

Although early in the Olympics I have an athlete that won my heart, at least right now. She is Hend Zaza from Syria. She is the youngest athlete at the Tokyo Games at 12 years old and she is a table-tennis player. Feel bad for her because she lost in her first game. If anybody wants to do a commercial featuring Olympic athletes they can use her as an inspiration for pre-teens especially. She has to have her parents' permission, of course, because she is still a minor, even in Syria.

The Olympics, in my humble ( ? ) opinion, do not start until Friday.

Having said that, I just saw a horse in the Equestrian Dressage that had great charisma ! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Brandon McNulty, American, 6th in the men’s road race, a second out of bronze. Just finished his first Tour de France last weekend, 23 years old, was not afraid to attack and take the race by the horns on the last climb and to the finish

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
        The Olympics, in my humble ( ? ) opinion, do not start until Friday.
        Agreed.

We flipped through a few of the "sports" last night. Lasted about a minute with each before snoozes took over.

Comment

She doesnt open her Games until tonight, but mine is already cyclist Chloe Dygert, who will be favored for gold in Tuesday's road time trial, and next week's team pursuit on the track. Not sure what her role will be in tonight's road race, but she certainly could bring home a medal there depending on what the US team strategy is.

Really quite amazing. considering the horrific crash she suffered in last September's world championships(photo not for faint of heart)

https://nypost.com/wp-content/upload...y=80&strip=all

She rebounded to win the US Pro championship last month, clocking 30:11 for the rolling 23.2 kilometer course, an almost unbelievable 28.6 MPH avg after what happened just last fall.
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Dang!!!!!!!! That looks serious.

Comment

Apart from the Jamaicans, I'm rooting for USA weightlifter Martha "Mattie" Rogers, now in her first Olympics after missing the team by 1 spot in 2016.

She had an unusual route to this Olympics. First, in 2018 they announced the elimination of her 69kg (152 lbs) weight class for Tokyo 2020, forcing her to choose between going down to 64kg or up to 76kg. That 12kg gap (26.5 lbs) is the biggest gap between weight classes in the women's program.

She chose to go up to 76kg, until... a back injury forced her miss a number of important competitions where she could have racked up enough rankings points to qualify in that weight class. But then she and her coach figured out that she might be able to qualify if she moved up in weight class yet again to 87kg (192 lbs), where there are fewer women performing at the elite level. She gained some more weight, competed in the necessary remaining competitions, and qualified!

87kg is the upper limit of the weight class, and she's never actually weighed that much; she expects to compete at around 81kg (179 lbs), and will probably be the lightest lifter in her weight class. And almost surely the only one who has to force-feed and bulk up to reach her competition weight, rather than the usual weight cut that lifters do.

Comment

Mattie Rogers did gymnastics and cheerleading for several years before starting Olympic-style lifting in her late teens; here she is using those skills for a handstand challenge which she saw Simone Biles do (removing sweatpants using only her feet).

video: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-3VMurB8fU/
                MattieRogers-handstand.png

Comment

I've never paid attention to any Olympic sport other than T&F and I don't intend to start now.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    I've never paid attention to any Olympic sport other than T&F and I don't intend to start now.
                    I think T&F is the main focus of most on this forum but interesting stuff happens elsewhere, especially if you have any national loyalty.
                    The US women 2-1 8th inning win over Aus last night was a nail-biter. First time I have seen the runner on 2nd, one out to start extra innings.

Comment

This OG's version of the USA mDream Team just got beat by France!!

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        That's pretty much my view, too.

Baseball/softball? Not a chance.

Comment

Ahmed Hafnaoui, 18 year old, slowest qualifier in 400 free, wins it for Tunisia. Next favorite any of those wonderful horses strutting their stuff in dressage. The riders get the medals the horse gets....extra oats?? Lowest on my list: skateboarding. Might help if I knew what was good and what wasn’t. U.s. loses to France in Basketball. Merde alors.
                          Last edited by jeremyp; 07-25-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Hands down, the winner of the women's road cycling race! She showed an amazing strength and resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                              Hands down, the winner of the women's road cycling race! She showed an amazing strength and resolve.
                              And the least favorite is silver medalist Annemiek van Vleuten, who crossed the line thinking she won, and is now whining if there had been race radios allowed she would have.

There are no strings on me

Comment

Working...
                              X