Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets not leave out the "something to talk about" factor. Likely this sorts out on its own.

Comment

• Note that Cincinnati finished #3 in the final BCS rankings in 2009 and would have made the playoffs had the 4-team format been in place then. They also didn't have any one-loss teams ranked ahead of them. Under the old system it was harder for one-loss Power 5 teams to jump the best undefeated Group of 5 teams (eg. Utah, Boise State, TCU), which is why I suppose the powers-that-be decided that the BCS had to go.
      Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-03-2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
        Note that Cincinnati finished #3 in the final BCS rankings in 2009 and would have made the playoffs had the 4-team format been in place then. They also didn't have any one-loss teams ranked ahead of them. Under the old system it was harder for one-loss Power 5 teams to jump the best undefeated Group of 5 teams (eg. Utah, Boise State, TCU), which is why I suppose the powers-that-be decided that the BCS had to go.
        The only way Cincinnati can get in is to be undefeated. So lets say Ohio State wins out. That means Michigan State has a loss so does Cincinnatti remain behind them? I doubt it. If MSU beats OSU, OSU is out with 2 losses. If Alabama beats Georgia it makes it much tougher for Cincinnati as both Georgia and Alabama would be in leaving only two other spots. I think Cincinnati should become big Ohio State and Georgia fans as I think they would be in under that scenario. Geprgia, Ohio State, Oregon and Cincinnati if all win out. I don't think where Cincinnati is ranked at the moment is that big of a deal.

Comment

• Cincinnati dreaming

1. MSU crunch OSU
          2. UM beats OSU
          3. PSU beats UM
          4. Georgia crunches Alabama
          5. Notre Dame wins with convincing wins
          6. WSU wins out denying UO playing Pac12 title
          7. Oklahoma loses a game

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
            Lets not leave out the "something to talk about" factor. Likely this sorts out on its own.
            There will be even more talk when College Gameday brings the circus to Cincinnati this Saturday for the first time in history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
              Cincinnati dreaming

1. MSU crunch OSU
              2. UM beats OSU
              3. PSU beats UM
              4. Georgia crunches Alabama
              5. Notre Dame wins with convincing wins
              6. WSU wins out denying UO playing Pac12 title
              7. Oklahoma loses a game
              8. Wake Forest loses a game.

Comment

• Even among our local sports radio talking heads deep in the heart of SEC country, the sentiment seems to be that the Committee did Cincinnati wrong and Alabama is ranked too high. The thinking is that the rankings should reflect what you've done throughout the first 2 months of the season, not how much NFL talent you have or whether you would be favored over another team on a neutral field. What does your resume look like thus far? Among the undefeated top 10 teams Cincinnati has the 2nd best win of the season behind Michigan State. Oregon has a better win but it also has a loss. Neither Alabama nor Ohio State have a better win and both have a loss. There's a chance that Alabama and Ohio State will have better wins over the next month but you're not supposed to give teams credit for what you think they might do in the future. Nor should Cincinnati's underperformances against Navy and Tulane be used to justify their ranking because every team except Georgia has underperformed at least once this season.

Comment

Even among our local sports radio talking heads deep in the heart of SEC country, the sentiment seems to be that the Committee did Cincinnati wrong and Alabama is ranked too high. The thinking is that the rankings should reflect what you've done throughout the first 2 months of the season, not how much NFL talent you have or whether you would be favored over another team on a neutral field. What does your resume look like thus far? Among the undefeated top 10 teams Cincinnati has the 2nd best win of the season behind Michigan State. Oregon has a better win but it also has a loss. Neither Alabama nor Ohio State have a better win and both have a loss. There's a chance that Alabama and Ohio State will have better wins over the next month but you're not supposed to give teams credit for what you think they might do in the future. Nor should Cincinnati's underperformances against Navy and Tulane be used to justify their ranking because every team except Georgia has underperformed at least once this season.
                  ....and if Georgia played the same game vs. Clemson today that they did at the beginning of the season we'd probably look at that game as an underperform for them.

Comment

• I agree with what jazzy said. But do they take into account single significant wins that much higher over the composite of the season? That seems to be the case as Kentucky is still ranked fairly high, despite several of their wins being unspectacular.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

....and if Georgia played the same game vs. Clemson today that they did at the beginning of the season we'd probably look at that game as an underperform for them.
                      I guess their offense underperformed but their defense may be so good that they don't need an offense and it was their defense that scored to only touchdown of that game.

Comment

• The circus has begun in Cincinnati. What a spectacle! Based on the scenes so far this may go down as the College Gameday GOAT. I hope Cincinnati doesn't mess around with Tulsa today and lives up to the hype. All their games need to end in 2nd round knockouts from here on out. By the way, what would the vibe be like in Ohio if the dominoes fell the right way and the Bearcats and the Buckeyes both made it into the CFP?

Comment

• Over the last decade colleges have paid coaches over $500 million to go away.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ion-dead-money

Comment

The circus has begun in Cincinnati. What a spectacle! Based on the scenes so far this may go down as the College Gameday GOAT. I hope Cincinnati doesn't mess around with Tulsa today and lives up to the hype. All their games need to end in 2nd round knockouts from here on out. By the way, what would the vibe be like in Ohio if the dominoes fell the right way and the Bearcats and the Buckeyes both made it into the CFP?
                            Wow!
                            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Over the last decade colleges have paid coaches over $500 million to go away.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ion-dead-money
                              Just another symptom of the insanity in college football...

Comment

• Wake drops from the unbeaten

Comment

Working...
                                X