This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

How about if Michigan and Oklahoma State both lose? We'd have Georgia, Cincinnati, Notre Dame and ??? Do Alabama and Oklahoma St and Oregon all get points at 11-2 for making the conference championship game? And who amongst them is the choice?
    Houston are not likely to be a walk in the park next weekend for Cincinnati. I hope they don't blow it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Like hedge funds they make money by covering both sides of the bet....

Bettors like the action because, within limits, the unpredictable action of college football.
      Predicting sports outcomes may not be as precise as rocket science but setting the lines isn't as random as rolling a pair of dice either. In the case of Michigan and Michigan State, I would point to the cornerback play. Michigan's cornerbacks looked like the type of players who will be playing on Sundays, forcing Stroud to make perfect throws to move the ball through the air. You never saw Ohio State's receivers running wild in Michigan's secondary like they did against Michigan State. And as NotDutra mentioned, homefield advantage made a difference too. I also think Jim Harbaugh learned from his mistakes and abandoned the 2-quarterback system that he employed against the Spartans. As a result of all of these factors, after Michigan punted on their first possession of the 2nd quarter, they scored a touchdown on every possession of the game thereafter,. Ohio State simply had no answer for their running game.

As for Georgia, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't a giant among pygmies after looking at how mediocre the rest of the SEC is. Their best conference win of the season is over a 4-loss, #25-ranked Arkansas team, and in their only notable non-conference game, they barely got by a down Clemson team, winning 10-3, with their defense scoring their only touchdown. That Clemson team routed South Carolina yesterday, the same South Carolina team that's recently beat SEC opponents that Alabama struggled with. The bottom line is that Alabama's ranking is highly inflated IMO, and so is the perceived strength of the SEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Houston are not likely to be a walk in the park next weekend for Cincinnati. I hope they don't blow it.
        Next week is the first round of a 12 team playoff. There will be a lot of pressure on Cincinnati in a "win and you're in" game. Let's see how they handle it.
        NotDutra5
        Last edited by NotDutra5; 11-28-2021, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• The top 10 of the latest Coaches Poll:
          • Georgia
            Alabama
            Michigan
            Cincinnati
            Oklahoma State
            Notre Dame
            Ohio State
            Ole Miss
            Baylor
            Oregon

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
            The top 10 of the latest Coaches Poll:
            • Georgia
              Alabama
              Michigan
              Cincinnati
              Oklahoma State
              Notre Dame
              Ohio State
              Ole Miss
              Baylor
              Oregon
            Auburn blew a chance to make this year really, really different than any in the last decade. With Clemson and the Buckeyes eliminated, they could have kicked out Alabama as well! That game was excruciating to watch at the end.
            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• I did not have a dog in that fight but the last two minutes of the Alabama/Auburn fiasco was agony to watch. I could have won that game for Auburn.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                I did not have a dog in that fight but the last two minutes of the Alabama/Auburn fiasco was agony to watch. I could have won that game for Auburn.
                I can hear lonewolf in that huddle, yelling, " Just give ME the ball !!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                  I can hear lonewolf in that huddle, yelling, " Just give ME the ball !!!"
                  Well, maybe. I don't remember if I ever shared the extent of my football experience, so indulge me.

I attended a rural high school in SW Oklahoma that recessed for cotton harvest in October and November and did not play football. I went directly into the Army upon graduation from Okla A&M, fresh off the track season, just in time for the 4th Army track meet. The Fort Hood, CG, a sports guy, presented the awards. Upon my fourth or fifth visit to the awards stand, he inquired into my athletic history, particularly football. I told him why I had never played football. Undaunted by my unintimidating 5-9, 160# physique, he suggested I report to the First Division football team and passed the suggestion on to my Company Commander.
                  So, the following Monday I reported for football. On Tuesday, we convened for practice in shorts, no pads, tossed the football around, ran a lot of sprints, On Wednesday, we determined that Eugene ???, a just-graduated West Point half back, and I were the two fastest on the Fort Hood team. On Thursday, someone remembered the little "police action" going on in Korea and they needed an Engineer officer to go over there and build a bridge.
                  Thus ended my gridiron glory.
                  lonewolf
                  Last edited by lonewolf; 11-28-2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma to become USC head football coach, sources say

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ch-sources-say

Comment

• Napier leaving Louisiana-LaFayette for U. of Florida.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                        Napier leaving Louisiana-LaFayette for U. of Florida.
                        I thought I had posted this story already but evidently it didn't go through. Scott Woodward better come through big time now that he's let Napier get away.

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2...mlkzmVpV4_xZS0

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          Meanwhile...

Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma to become USC head football coach, sources say

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ch-sources-say
                          Rumor has it that Riley wasn't happy about Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 for the SEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                            Napier leaving Louisiana-LaFayette for U. of Florida.
                            Gators have fallen down the SEC totem poll recruiting wise. One reason for Mullen's failure. We'll see if Napier...with some SEC pedigree...can change that.

Comment

Rumor has it that Riley wasn't happy about Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 for the SEC.
                              I predict he will find winning easier on the west coast than in the SEC

Comment

Not surprised....recruiting would have been a nightmare. And the schedule....

Comment

Working...
                                X