X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    I predict he will find winning easier on the west coast than in the SEC
    And he'll have better job security. Saban won a national championship in his 4th year at LSU. Les Miles and Ed Orgeron both won national championships in their 3rd year. Because of this LSU fans have gotten spoiled and patience is a foreign word to them.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-29-2021, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

And he'll have better job security. Saban won a national championship in his 4th year at LSU. Les Miles and Ed Orgeron both won national championships in their 3rd year. Because of this LSU fans have gotten spoiled and patience is a foreign word to them.
      He left because he knew he would be 2nd tier in the SEC at OK. Hopefully, he will be 2nd tier in the Pac 12 at USC

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
        Hopefully, he will be 2nd tier in the Pac 12 at USC
        Much as I HATE USC, they still have an inside track in the recruiting wars, IF they have a competent coach doing it. They can easily outdraw and other West Coast Team. Much like the University of Texas, they usually squander their name value.
        The teams that SHOULD win the recruiting wars every year are (from left to right, roughly)

USC
        Texas
        Oklahoma
        Notre Dame
        Ohio St
        Alabama
        Penn St (they should have first pick of the entire Northeast)
        Florida

Comment

• Never seen an offensive line play better than that Michigan line did Saturday, amazing performance, a....wow!

I was talking Georgia vs Ohio State....DUH!!!!

So Georgia vs............Notre Dame???

As we all know the media adores Notre Dame, all that history.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

College football has upped its considerable greed to new levels, to the point that Texas (3) and Oklahoma (4) are departing a conference that has bent to their whims for decades so they can make more money in the SEC. They may also get their royal asses kicked there, but hey—they can afford to build more stuff and hire more analysts, right? Isn’t that what fans want: the shiniest buildings and biggest staffs, instead of winning more games?

(Texas is on an even more nonsensical path. Unless the Longhorns can dramatically change its trajectory, they will be one of the worst three or four teams in the SEC upon entry.)

Riley doesn’t need that fool’s errand. He doesn’t need to butt heads with Alabama and Georgia and LSU and Texas A&M and Florida and Auburn. He’s a man with options, and he’s prepared to exercise them.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/2...lahoma-for-usc

Comment

• If Oklahoma slips are losing Riley and Texas doesn’t regain its footing, it would be a powerful dose of humility for the two schools that launched the latest realignment spasm. Mo’ money, mo’ problems could be a reality for the notorious Big 12 turncoats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Much as I HATE USC, they still have an inside track in the recruiting wars, IF they have a competent coach doing it. They can easily outdraw and other West Coast Team. Much like the University of Texas, they usually squander their name value.
                The teams that SHOULD win the recruiting wars every year are (from left to right, roughly)

USC
                Texas
                Oklahoma
                Notre Dame
                Ohio St
                Alabama
                Penn St (they should have first pick of the entire Northeast)
                Florida

LSU and Georgia both have more recruiting advantages than Oklahoma. Both states are larger and produce more blue chip talent than Oklahoma and LSU is the only Power 5 school in its state while Georgia only has to compete a half of a Power 5 school for talent, while Oklahoma has to compete with Oklahoma State. Even Alabama has to compete with Auburn in a state that's about the size of Louisiana.

Comment

• Local NBC channel has replaced regular programming (Jeopardy) today with a thirty-minute news conference re Riley's absconsion.
                  Bob Stoops, interim coach for a bowl game, and Saint Barry Switzer on hand to assure the Sooner faithful all is well.

Comment

LSU and Georgia both have more recruiting advantages than Oklahoma.
                    I assume you are right, being more plugged in than I, but I was talking about 'panache', as it were. Georgia and LSU are hot now, but the ones I listed have been around longer 'in the spotlight' and have more name cred over the long haul (at least in my 60 years of following CF).

Comment

• Story in The Athletic saying LSU is now making a big push to get Brian Kelly away from Notre Dame. Apparently Kelly was already approached early and said no, but LSU is coming back at him with another offer (read = more $)

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                        Story in The Athletic saying LSU is now making a big push to get Brian Kelly away from Notre Dame. Apparently Kelly was already approached early and said no, but LSU is coming back at him with another offer (read = more $)
                        He's the second best coach in college football behind Saban IMO, but I assumed he was immovable, but Scott Woodward, the Luca Brasi of college athletics, is known for making immovable coaches offers they can't refuse.

Comment

He's the second best coach in college football behind Saban IMO, but I assumed he was immovable, but Scott Woodward, the Luca Brasi of college athletics, is known for making immovable coaches offers they can't refuse.
                          That didn't take long - https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/statu...83496718274569

Tweet says that Brian Kelly will be announced tomorrow as the new LSU head coach

A wise man once told me, "Everybody has a price ... "

Comment

• Wow..... I didn't see that coming...

Comment

• Its a subscription site but now The Athletic is also confirming Kelly will be hired by LSU - https://theathletic.com/news/brian-k.../Fm1dz9JcG9Sn/

Comment

• Another interesting tweet about the situation - https://twitter.com/Matt_Fortuna/sta...88567480819715

Comment

Working...
                                X