Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Marcus Freeman reportedly getting the Notre Dame gig.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
      DC Marcus Freeman reportedly getting the Notre Dame gig.
      That was the ESPN Talking Heads' consensus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        As of last night, it was many sources. As of this morning it was many more sources.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

While coaches reap ever-larger contracts, athletic directors worry about the specter of basic employment rights for athletes. It's all part of one of the most egregious grifts in US society today. College sports. Our latest, for @latimes
          https://mobile.twitter.com/nkalamb/s...43474814795781

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus
            Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

As of last night, it was many sources. As of this morning it was many more sources.
            It all rests in the hands of Father John Jenkins who won't make his decision until he returns from a more important business trip at the Vatican.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

It all rests in the hands of Father John Jenkins who won't make his decision until he returns from a more important business trip at the Vatican.
              I wish Coach Freeman all the luck in the world. Going from a DC to the head coach at an institution such as ND is a bigger jump than it would be at many other schools. Much more management issues than teaching technique to a freshman CB.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I wish Coach Freeman all the luck in the world. Going from a DC to the head coach at an institution such as ND is a bigger jump than it would be at many other schools. Much more management issues than teaching technique to a freshman CB.
                The white smoke is rising from the golden dome and it will become official today. As you've said, this is a really big job for a 35-year-old with no head coaching experience. and I wish him luck.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...friday-morning

Comment

• This is pretty good if you're able to read it - https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/0...mpaign_3313427

Comment

• Thus the sport is awash in dead money owed to fired coaches. A recent analysis by ESPN found that $402.3 million in dead money was spent to fire football coaches between January 2010 and January ’21. Auburn led the way, firing two coaches who had been to two national championship games, with one (Gene Chizik) bringing a title back to the Plains. The other (Gus Malzahn) received a record $21.45 million buyout from the school last December.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                      This is pretty good if you're able to read it - https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/0...mpaign_3313427
                      Thanks for sharing. The best part of the story is that Brian Kelly's agent tried to blackmail Notre Dame but got nowhere with them. I'm glad to see they haven't for forgotten the lesson of Charlie Weiss, but the insanity won't stop until either all the big-time programs learn their lesson or the college presidents get together and institute rules governing coaches' salaries and contracts.

Comment

• Excellent article.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. The best part of the story is that Brian Kelly's agent tried to blackmail Notre Dame but got nowhere with them. I'm glad to see they haven't for forgotten the lesson of Charlie Weiss, but the insanity won't stop until either all the big-time programs learn their lesson or the college presidents get together and institute rules governing coaches' salaries and contracts.
                          Kelly is pretty odious...but many knew that already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Kelly is pretty odious...but many knew that already.
                            I've never heard that word used to describe him but when hiring college football coaches, how "odious" a coach is is as relevant as how attractive he is. It's also notable that 2 agents, Jimmy Sexton and Trace Armstrong, seem to represent the lion's share of the college coaches.
                            Last edited by jazzcyclist; 12-03-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

The problem is the presidents probably can't do that - its restraint of trade issues or some such legal thing. But they can't set a salary cap as far as I know, but again I am far from a lawyer.

Comment

• Utah vs Oregon for the Pac12 title on at 5pm tonight

Obviously conference title games all over the place tomorrow

Michigan vs Iowa
                                Georgia vs Bama

the must sees

Comment

Working...
                                X