Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 College Football

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    I don't see how a 12 team playoff would work. 6 games, 6 winners, three games, 3 winners, now what?
    4 games, 4 byes, 4 quarterfinals, 2 semifinals, 1 final

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
      4 games, 4 byes, 4 quarterfinals, 2 semifinals, 1 final
      Hmmm???? So, who/how decides which four teams get a gimmie?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
        I don't see how a 12 team playoff would work. 6 games, 6 winners, three games, 3 winners, now what?
        The NFL had a 12-team playoff from 1990 through 2019.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
          4 games, 4 byes, 4 quarterfinals, 2 semifinals, 1 final
          Similar to college basketball where the selection committee ranks the teams the ones ranked 1-4 get byes. "That's a matter for the committee."

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

            The NFL had a 12-team playoff from 1990 through 2019.
            I thought they used the 12-team format last year too. Isn't this the first year of the 14-team format?

            Comment


            • Uh, Huh. So, like now, the committee selects four top-ranked teams and adds an eight-team, two-game play-in.
              OK, more games. more $$$$$$$, and teams in the 5th rank bubble get a chance to advance. I still think it should be an eight-team field so everyone plays the same number of games. Sixteen teams are just too wieldy..

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                I thought they used the 12-team format last year too. Isn't this the first year of the 14-team format?
                Expanded postseason to 14 teams last season:

                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E...1_NFL_playoffs

                Expanded regular season to 17 games this season:

                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_NFL_season

                Comment


                • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  Uh, Huh. So, like now, the committee selects four top-ranked teams and adds an eight-team, two-game play-in.
                  OK, more games. more $$$$$$$, and teams in the 5th rank bubble get a chance to advance. I still think it should be an eight-team field so everyone plays the same number of games. Sixteen teams are just too wieldy..
                  Top four only sit out the first round.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                    Uh, Huh. So, like now, the committee selects four top-ranked teams and adds an eight-team, two-game play-in.
                    OK, more games. more $$$$$$$, and teams in the 5th rank bubble get a chance to advance. I still think it should be an eight-team field so everyone plays the same number of games. Sixteen teams are just too wieldy..
                    The SEC would only agree to expand to an 8-team format if there were no automatic bids and the PAC-12 refused to sign on to any format that didn't include automatic bids, so 8 teams was a no-go.

                    Comment


                    • No need to expand the playoffs. There were clearly only two strong teams this year. In the past Clemson, Ohio St., LSU, and OK have been competitive.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                        No need to expand the playoffs. There were clearly only two strong teams this year. In the past Clemson, Ohio St., LSU, and OK have been competitive.
                        I totally agree, it's very obvious the SEC simply plays another level of football, too much speed too many big dudes with speed. And that ain't going to change.

                        All we need are the top 4 teams.

                        Do hope to see USC get back to being relevant, if the Cali kids stayed home that would help.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                          No need to expand the playoffs. There were clearly only two strong teams this year. In the past Clemson, Ohio St., LSU, and OK have been competitive.
                          I don't recall any year in which there were more than 3 elite teams in the BCS/CFP era, and I don't consider Alabama elite this year. IMO Georgia was the only elite team this year.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post

                            I totally agree, it's very obvious the SEC simply plays another level of football, too much speed too many big dudes with speed. And that ain't going to change.

                            All we need are the top 4 teams.

                            Do hope to see USC get back to being relevant, if the Cali kids stayed home that would help.
                            I wouldn't go that far. Clemson isn't in the SEC and neither is Ohio State which has had more NFL draft picks since 2000 than any other school in the nation. FYI, Alabama got Jameson Williams, its best receiver, out of the transfer portal from Ohio State after Williams couldn't get on the field in Columbus because of all the 5-star athletes ahead of him on the depth chart.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                              I wouldn't go that far. Clemson isn't in the SEC and neither is Ohio State which has had more NFL draft picks since 2000 than any other school in the nation. FYI, Alabama got Jameson Williams, its best receiver, out of the transfer portal from Ohio State after Williams couldn't get on the field in Columbus because of all the 5-star athletes ahead of him on the depth chart.
                              Well since 2010


                              2021 NFL Draft: 10 Colleges that have produced the most draft picks since 2010
                              • #10 USC.
                              • #9 Florida State University.
                              • #8 University of Miami.
                              • #7 University of Georgia
                              • #6 Clemson University.
                              • #5 University of Oklahoma.
                              • #3 Louisiana State University.
                              • #2 Ohio State University.
                              • #1 Alabama
                              Notice the southern flavor there?


                              Gotta admit does Bama/Georgia have some big fast bad cats or what and a lot of them. That is unique to the SEC.

                              Wlliams reminds me of Anthony Carter, he glides.

                              With 8 or 12 teams we'd see more SEC teams in it, do we really need that?


                              Alcyallen
                              Senior Member
                              Last edited by Alcyallen; 01-12-2022, 04:50 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post

                                Well since 2010


                                2021 NFL Draft: 10 Colleges that have produced the most draft picks since 2010
                                • #10 USC.
                                • #9 Florida State University.
                                • #8 University of Miami.
                                • #7 University of Georgia
                                • #6 Clemson University.
                                • #5 University of Oklahoma.
                                • #3 Louisiana State University.
                                • #2 Ohio State University.
                                • #1 Alabama
                                Notice the southern flavor there?


                                Gotta admit does Bama/Georgia have some big fast bad cats or what and a lot of them. That is unique to the SEC.

                                Wlliams reminds me of Anthony Carter, he glides.

                                With 8 or 12 teams we'd see more SEC teams in it, do we really need that?

                                There are only 3 SEC teams on this list. The #4 team is missing. My guess is that it's Florida.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X