• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Reports Says Top 10 Cars Are Japanese

The latest rankings

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

Re: Consumer Reports Says Top 10 Cars Are Japanese

Are the US car manufacturers going the way of the British ones? Who will buy GM, Toyota or Honda?

Comment

After owning a Chrysler whose transmission needed replacing at 50,000 I've been firmly in the Japanese camp for the last 8 years. Strangest incident though was the seat back collapsing as I pulled forward - driving while laying down proved to be quite a challenge (when the dealer told me it was no longer under warranty and I'd have to pay for a new electric seat, I pulled a law dude and vigorously pointed out I had been "traumatised" - they replaced it...).

Comment

Re: Consumer Reports Says Top 10 Cars Are Japanese

Originally posted by Daisy
        Are the US car manufacturers going the way of the British ones? Who will buy GM, Toyota or Honda?
        ??? Honda had five of the top 10 cars! Now, ironically, they were all made in America. As is my (most excellent) Toyota Tacoma pickup. So what it comes down to is that we can assemble cars with the best, but cannot engineer them. That we have to go to Japan for.

Comment

I'd rather have a German car. The Porsche Carrera or Targa would be fine. Mercedes 600? Yeah, OK. (but NEVER an Italian car! - even the Lamborghini or Ferrari)

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
            I'd rather have a German car. The Porsche Carrera or Targa would be fine. Mercedes 600? Yeah, OK. (but NEVER an Italian car! - even the Lamborghini or Ferrari)
            German cars = electrical problems. Pick up the Consumers Reports car issue and check it out. Pain in the ass when under warranty, an expensive pain in the ass afterwards. That goes for BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, VW and Audi. Their electrical guys all come from the same school.

But (and it is a big one) they are wonderful cars to drive - very fun (assuming you buy a stick - don't waste any time or money on an auto).

Comment

I heard this a while back. Dunno if this is true but if it is, it's one of the basic problems.

Toyota & GM share a facility that makes the Matrix & Vibe respectively. The plant is GM's highest rated plant in the world for quality and Toyota's lowest.

I know we'll never own anything other than Toyota..unless it's a Lexus.

/Proud owner of a '05 4Runner & '05 Tacoma

Comment

I had a Datsun (Japanese for lemon) many many moons ago, and all I can say is -- NEVER JAPANESE AGAIN! Their cars are crap in my experience.

I do like Volvo, VW and other European makes, though.

To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                  I had a Datsun (Japanese for lemon) many many moons ago, and all I can say is -- NEVER JAPANESE AGAIN! Their cars are crap in my experience.
                  If you've only had a Datsun how would you know that Toyota or Honda are crap?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                    I had a Datsun . . . .
                    A Datsun??? They've been Nissan for almost 30 years. I understand 'once burned twice shy', but if you want value for your money and a car that will last damn near forever without anything besides routine maintenance, the Japanese, especially Honda and Toyota (and their upscale brethren), cannot be beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                      Originally posted by gm
                      If you've only had a Datsun how would you know that Toyota or Honda are crap?
                      One makes mediocre lawnmowers and the other can be summed up by the first three letters of its name.

Hey, if people can have low opinions of U.S. automakers without trying every one, I can have 'em of the Japanese.

Comment

The thread is kind of sickening. Not having a vibrant auto industry should be regarded as a national security threat. It hurts both workers, comsumers and the country at a number of levels.
                        Maybe the next administration will do something about it,even if it means getting involved in the industry's affairs.

Comment

How can the administration (no matter which color) make auto-plant workers care about their product? That's where the problem lies. Everybody in America thinks they deserve a great wage for minimal effort.

The foreign marques are better simply because they have more motivated workers. But don't worry, they'll "catch up" with us in that department as they have everywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by gm

I do like Volvo, VW and other European makes, though.

To each his own.
                            I've owned two Toyota's and one Lexus. They are superb cars. My present Solara is fully loaded, totally reliable, has great performance, a virtually silent engine and is as fast as hell for a car in it's class. Cost slightly under $30,000. Until I win the lottery I doubt if I'll buy anything but Japanese again (then I'll buy a Bentley )

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              How can the administration (no matter which color) make auto-plant workers care about their product? That's where the problem lies. Everybody in America thinks they deserve a great wage for minimal effort.
                              I am not in total agreement here. All of Honda’s top-ten CR picks were made in America. So are many Toyotas (including mine) and Nissans. These cars are well-built, by Americans.

That said, I’d agree that there is evidence that the Ford, GM and Chrysler auto-plant workers may not be up to the same standards. But all three companies have other problems too. You cannot expect an auto-plant worker to make a Lexus when the engineers are designing Ford Pintos. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Comment

Working...
                              X