Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are we going to get rid of the internal combustion engine? I doubt in my lifetime. I tried American cars, but I want something that's going to last, be dependable, and not cost a lot of money. That's why I own two Japanese cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
      When are we going to get rid of the internal combustion engine?
      If 'they' wanted to, it could happen in my lifetime. There seem to be a lot of deep-pocket, well-connected ‘theys’ that don’t seem too interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
        When are we going to get rid of the internal combustion engine? I doubt in my lifetime. I tried American cars, but I want something that's going to last, be dependable, and not cost a lot of money. That's why I own two Japanese cars.
        That's the great thing about American cars... I only need ONE
        :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by gm
          That's the great thing about American cars... I only need ONE :lol:
          Yeah, but you need to replace it about three times as often as the rice burners. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
            Originally posted by bad hammy
            Originally posted by tandfman
            And in the price range and the kind of car we were talking about, he suggested that we take a look at the new Cadillacs, which he said were quite well made. We may just do that, although we had been thinking about an Acura, which friends of ours drive and recommend.
            In that price range, stick to Acura or Lexus. Cads will not last.
            Ditto. Also, when I bought my last car 18 months ago I went onto www.edmunds.com. Put in the specs and the local dealers email you offers. When I did it I assumed I was wasting my time, however, went to lunch, came back and found 4 offers all well below sticker price. Saved time dealing with car salesmen assholes. Definately recommend it.
            Thank you for that tip. I may try it. I'm normally gun shy about such web sites. At least in the insurance field, you can be sure that your input will result in a flood of phone calls from agents. But if they do this by e-mail, it may be worth looking at.

For the record, the last three cars that I purchased were all Toyotas. My kids totalled the Cressida and the Camry (without personal injury, fortunately) and I'm now driving an Avalon. It's got 90,000 miles on it and I like the car, but I must say that every year or so, it does require a major repair/maintenance item. I still find them more reliable than the GM cars I've preferred among American cars.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
              Yeah, but you need to replace it about three times as often as the rice burners. :wink:
              I've been driving Pontiac Montana minivans for years, replacing them roughly every 120,000 miles. I thought it wasn't too bad.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                We bought our last toyota corrolla second hand. We used it for 8 years and sold it as a 12 year old with about 180,000 on the clock for $1400 (in SF, so price is a bit inflated). We paid $5000 for it (in CT). We never had to do any major repairs.

We currently have a camry (2001 model) and have had no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                  I've been driving Pontiac Montana minivans for years, replacing them roughly every 120,000 miles. I thought it wasn't too bad.
                  That is not bad - it is pretty good. Glad it works for you.

Actually, I've never kept a car long enough to get to 120,000 miles. I am working under a new philosophy (inflated Bay Area home price induced) with the current Toyota Tacoma – ride it until it dies. So far only 40,000 miles in a little over four years. I hope to get another 16 years or so out of it (cross fingers). I figure if the Taliban guys riding around in the dirt and sand are driving 20 year old Toyota pick ups, I should be able to keep this one going that long.

Comment

Buy and hold is a great strategy for vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                      That is not bad - it is pretty good. Glad it works for you.

Actually, I've never kept a car long enough to get to 120,000 miles. I am working under a new philosophy (inflated Bay Area home price induced) with the current Toyota Tacoma – ride it until it dies. So far only 40,000 miles in a little over four years. I hope to get another 16 years or so out of it (cross fingers). I figure if the Taliban guys riding around in the dirt and sand are driving 20 year old Toyota pick ups, I should be able to keep this one going that long.
                      Pshaw... you don't see any 50-year-old Japanese cars on the streets of Havana, do ya? Or on the country roads of the USA? When I see an old farmer driving a '56 Toyota pickup around with hay in the back, I might change my mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X