Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shani Davis -- Beats Hedrick again in Holland / Attitude

Davis just won first in Heervenveen in the 1000. He is the true star of American speedskating. To those who wrote earlier about Shani's "attitude" in the Olympics: You misunderstand entirely. I have known Shani for many years. There is a lot of nobility and pride there. Dignity. He was called "selfish" and "unpatriotic" by Hedrick, and the press grabbed on and wouldn't let go. They badgered him, slandered him. Look at what Selena Roberts wrote in the NY Times. That stung, hard. People called him "n..... traitor" on his website. He was hurt, angry, and frustrated, and just wanted to bite his tongue, and not talk to the press -- it was a losing game for him. He was especially angry at Bob Costas and NBC in general (hence his lack of desire to talk to Miss NBC) -- for good reason.

The press has more integrity than Shani Davis :?:

Mohammed Ali invented "attitude". They called him a traitor too. If Shani Davis has it too, fine with me. Colin Powell took a hit for the team, as Colbert reported. Shani Davis wouldn't. If Colin Powell had attitude, he would not be a nobody in American politics now. He was once actgually regarded as a man with integrity.

If you're interested, I'll send links with the facts regarding the horrible job the USOC, USSpeedskating, and the press did on Shani.
    Speedskater

Re: Shani Davis -- Beats Hedrick again in Holland / Attitude

Originally posted by peterswenson
    If you're interested, I'll send links with the facts regarding the horrible job the USOC, USSpeedskating, and the press did on Shani.
    I'm interested. By the way, look back at the Davis thread. i think you'll find quite a few were in favor of Davis.

Comment

Re: Shani Davis -- Beats Hedrick again in Holland / Attitude

He was especially angry at Bob Costas and NBC in general (hence his lack of desire to talk to Miss NBC) -- for good reason.
      And the reason???

I've never heard of anyone being mad at Costas.

Comment

How about his mother ? She's taking quite a beating too. At best, she does not appear to be a sweetheart.

Comment

For starters, check out his website, shanidavis.org. You'll find some interesting links and controversy.

I just saw Sports Illustrated on Shani. Correction, please!: Shani Davis NEVER "pulled out" of the team pursuit. Same mistake got repeated by the NYTimes, well after the facts were out. He was never IN it. He was invited to join a week before, and declined. This is typical of the sloppy journalism I've seen. There's a difference between pulling out of something you committed to and declining an invitation at the last moment -- when you never trained for the event, much less with the team members involved. This is not splitting hairs.

Blame should also go to USSpeedskating, which remained silent. Their rules were that the deadline for applying to enter an event was in December 2005. Davis did not enter; had he joined in Torino he would have bumped someone who had made the deadline. Maybe there would have been a grievance against him later if he had opted in. Blame goes to the USOC and ISU for the absurd decision to have the team pursuit take place in between individual events. That was a bad set up. What if it had taken place right before Hedrick's best event ( 5000)? Hedrick would probably not gotten his gold. Shani was, therefore, absolutely correct to decline the opportunity, and the US team BENEFITED. I have heard that other countries fielded weak teams for the very reason Shani declined the invitation (HE DID NOT PULL OUT -- Hear this, sports journalists?).

Finally, dukehjsteve, let's talk about Shani Davis, not his mother. Why do you want to talk about her? What difference does her personality make to you? Get over it maybe?

Why not talk about Joey Cheek, for example, who defended Shani's decision? And the many, many more speedskaters who think Hedrick was out of line, a real blowhard.
          Speedskater

Comment

[quote="peterswenson
            Finally, dukehjsteve, let's talk about Shani Davis, not his mother. Why do you want to talk about her? What difference does her personality make to you? Get over it maybe?

Hey, off my case, man. Don't be so defensive. I'm just repeating what I have read. Figure since you know Shani you might know something about his mother as well. But I sure note that you have deftly decided not to talk about her.

For the record I have nothing but good things to say/think abour Shani.

Media just LOVES to look for / create fights, etc.

Comment

Chicago media made a big deal about their hometown boy being the first African-American gold medalist, and then felt obligated to report the big meltdown afterward with Costas.

"I had to go to the bathroom", (his explanation) made him sound like a petulant child.

Poor guy probably won't have a bigger day in his life, and why he felt the need to act like a spoiled child on his big day mystified a lot of people.

Defend his actions all you want, dude. The guy tarnished himself and probably blew a lot of outside income opportunities. Davis will fall off the map quickly, and will probably have a hard time adapting to the real world once he leaves his mother's womb. If she ever allows him.

Comment

Blame goes to the USOC and ISU for the absurd decision to have the team pursuit take place in between individual events. That was a bad set up.
                Is there any reason to think the USOC had something to do with the scheduling of the team pursuit?

Comment

You know little of what you're twittering about, Debbie. Most knowledgeable people think Shani did the right thing, and most people with any depth can empathize with someone who's been slandered by the press and a fellow teammate. Sure, he could have come across better in that interview. That was anger speaking. He possibly regrets it -- who knows, I don't. Question is: Why the hate from you, though? Where's that coming from? I actually know the guy, and think he's anything but spoiled, so you know why I come to his defense.

Twittering: I believe you will be proved wrong as regards Shani dropping off the map. Shani is a champion once again today in Holland. But if he does drop off the map, as you predict, given your extensive knowledge, I guess that will make you feel good. What does that say about you?
                  Speedskater

Comment

But if he does drop off the map, as you predict, given your extensive knowledge, I guess that will make you feel good. What does that say about you?
                    That I am a good prognosticator!

Comment

Dukehjsteve: I've gotten tonguelashings from Cherie's mom, and I survived, and remain a friend. She's tough. And she's been the most important person in Shani's life. I understand his loyalty. And if it works, don't fix it. In any case, the discussion should be about Shani and the facts.

Tandfman: You're right, that's a good question. What officials were responsible for the scheduling?
                      Speedskater

Comment

That I am a good prognosticator!

Good grief. Why are you so shallow?
                        Speedskater

Comment

That question was directed at Twittering. I love the name she chose for itself![/quote]
                          Speedskater

Comment

i think this feud screwed both of them up for the 1500

( chad - outstanding sea-level wr holder, shani - previous "man")

where both got b*!?£$%^d by the italian

Comment

That question was directed at Twittering. I love the name she chose for itself!
                              [/quote]

Correction: "herself"
                              Speedskater

Comment

Working...
                              X