Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Don Everly

Don Everly, whose soaring harmonies and aggressive rhythm guitar work as part of the Everly Brothers duo with his younger brother, Phil, influenced generations of rock performers, died Aug. 21 at his home in Nashville. He was 84.

The brothers’ personal relationship was less harmonious than their music. Their relentless performing over 30 years magnified their sibling rivalry and simmering resentments. They endured long periods when they sang together but wouldn’t talk to each other.

When interviewers could get them in the same room, Mr. Everly, the more gregarious of the two, tended to dominate the conversation. They also fractured on politics, with Phil a conservative and Don a liberal.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...e5d_story.html

Saw them in Salt Lake City circa 1980's. They tried to sing new songs but the audience screamed for the oldies, so they obliged.One of my faves in the 50's.
    jeremyp
    Last edited by jeremyp; 08-22-2021, 08:13 PM.

Phil Everly died a few years ago. So perhaps they are now singing together again in Heaven. Are there better reasons to believe in Heaven?

Comment

Own all their early stuff, a must have for any fan of rock and roll. The best duo we have. Ah....had.

Can put them in that rockabilly genre.
      Alcyallen
      Last edited by Alcyallen; 08-23-2021, 12:52 AM.

Comment

They were also clearly influential on acts like The Beatles and The Beach Boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
          They were also clearly influential on acts like The Beatles and The Beach Boys.
          I always saw the Beachboys as a barber shop pop rock roll band.

Comment

I could take or leave Don and Phil....didn't turn them on and didn't turn them off I guess you could say....and maybe that has to do with one summer's volunteer work as a young teen. I worked for Catholic Charities summer camp for (at the time referred to as) the Mentally Retarded. I took a 45 minute bus ride with counselors and campers to the camp every morning for two months. Those with Down Syndrome tend to like to sing....a lot. One song repeated over and over during that season was "Bye, Bye, Love". Not a bad song but not 5 to 10 run throughs every day for 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
              I always saw the Beachboys as a barber shop pop rock roll band.
              Have you listened to Pet Sounds? The Beatles said it was the inspiration for much of their later work.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                One song repeated over and over during that season was "Bye, Bye, Love". Not a bad song but not 5 to 10 run throughs every day for 2 months.
                I would still prefer that to any Beatles song

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post

I would still prefer that to any Beatles song
                  Bye Bye Love was a great song! Better than any Beatles song? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

Bye Bye Love was a great song! Better than any Beatles song? Nope.

I very carefully did not say it was better.

Music isn't quantifiable, as far as I know!

Comment

I like Bye Bye Love, but my favorite Everly Bros. song is Wake Up Little Suzy.

Comment

I like them both. My fave? I dunno. And I'm not about to spend any time thinking about that.

Comment

Bye Bye Love and Wake Up Little Susie were their first 2 hits. They had plenty of quasi hits after that but those first 2 were the whoppers.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                            I like Bye Bye Love, but my favorite Everly Bros. song is Wake Up Little Suzy.
                            I think it's Susie not Suzy.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

I think it's Susie not Suzy.
                              I would have been OK on Jeopardy.

Comment

Working...
                              X