Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Charlie Watts, 80

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, who helped them become one of the greatest bands in rock 'n' roll, has died at the age of 80.

"It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts," a statement said.

It said he was "a cherished husband, father and grandfather" and "one of the greatest drummers of his generation".

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58316842

End of an era...

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-22200496

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        End of an era...
        Absolutely.

Comment

When the Beatles lost John Lennon, any chance of a Beatles reunion was lost!
          Same exact feelings about the loss of Charlie Watts, the greatesst rock and roll drummer ever!
          Not one Rolling Stones song would be as iconic, historic, beautiful, sensuous, and send the listener to Rock and Roll Heaven without the drumming of Charlie Watts.

His music will live on as long as there is recorded sound, and something to play it on.
          I can't imagine the emotions Mick,and Keith and Ronnie (and Bill, in absentia) are feeling now.

Rest in Peace, Charlie
          And thank you for the music.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            Same exact feelings about the loss of Charlie Watts, the greatesst rock and roll drummer ever!.
            No need to gild the lily - CW was a great drummer, but RnR GOAT is widely acknowledged as John Bonham of LedZepp.

Comment

This hits me almost as much as the loss of Dusty Hill. Two of my all time favorites. But I have already informed my leadership at work that I plan on taking off three days each for the eventual losses of Joe Perry and Angus Young.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                I have already informed my leadership at work that I plan on taking off three days each for the eventual losses of Joe Perry and Angus Young.
                Nice. I feel that way about Keith Richards (who, of course, will never die - he's already fully preserved in drugs and alcohol), and Jimmy Page. I was also stunned when EVH went.
                While I understand that Jimi was the best with an axe, those two were responsible for more iconic, huge, hits than he was.

Comment

Charlie Watts:

“I don’t like drum solos,” he once said. “I admire some people that do them, but generally I prefer drummers playing with the band. The challenge with rock’n’roll is the regularity of it. My thing is to make it a dance sound – it should swing and bounce.”

If it was not mentioned above, Charlie had pulled out of the Stones fall tour which they are about to start and was and likely is being replaced by Steve Jordan.

Comment

How do you replace Charlie Watts?
                    Simple answer, you can't!
                    EVERY song, EVERY album, EVERY concert, it's been Watts behind the drums!!
                    Bill Wyman was replaced, but even as a huge Stones fan, I can not tell you who replaced him!!
                    The Stones are unique in that they've been an ongoing band for 58 years!
                    And Watts has been their ONLY drummer.
                    I hate to say it, but I think the Stones that are left should end the band, and do solo work or whatever!
                    (The Who are the same--not the same without Keith Moon and John Entwistle!!
                    However great Roger and Pete are together, they are NOT The Who!!)

I've begun listening to my favorite Stones albums again, in tribute to Charlie Watts.
                    Listen to his drumming on Get Off of My Cloud!
                    THAT is why Charlie Watts can NOT be replaced!!
                    aaronk
                    Last edited by aaronk; 08-25-2021, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                      This hits me almost as much as the loss of Dusty Hill. Two of my all time favorites. But I have already informed my leadership at work that I plan on taking off three days each for the eventual losses of Joe Perry and Angus Young.
                      Did you take a leave of absence when Malcolm died four year ago?

Comment

From NYT Obituary

There was one time, however, when Mr. Watts famously chafed at being treated like a hired hand rather than an equal member of the group. In 1984, Mr. Jagger and Mr. Richards went out for a night of drinking in Amsterdam. When they returned to their hotel around 5 a.m., Mr. Jagger called Mr. Watts, waking him up, and asked, “Where’s my drummer?” Twenty minutes later, Mr. Watts showed up at Mr. Jagger’s room, coldly furious, but shaved and elegantly dressed in a Savile Row suit and tie.

“Never call me your drummer again,” he told Mr. Jagger, before grabbing him by the lapel and delivering a right hook. Mr. Richards said he narrowly saved Mr. Jagger from falling out a window into an Amsterdam canal.

“It’s not something I’m proud of doing, and if I hadn’t been drinking I would never have done it,” Mr. Watts said in 2003. “The bottom line is, don’t annoy me.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/24/a...gtype=Homepage &section=Obituaries

Comment

Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post

Did you take a leave of absence when Malcolm died four year ago?
                          I took a single day of mourning, and wore a black armband.

Comment

From Wikipedia:

In 1984, [Max] Weinberg [of the E Street Band—and bandleader for Conan O'Brien's talk shows] published The Big Beat: Conversations with Rock's Greatest Drummers, a series of interviews conducted over two years with drummers from various eras, including [Ringo] Starr, [Levon] Helm, D.J. Fontana, Charlie Watts, Dino Danelli, Hal Blaine and others. The book captured drummers revealing more about their musical approaches than they normally did to the press and was thus considered an important addition to the rock literature.
                            The foreword of the second publication:

Max has hit me up for a few words on what I think it takes to be a great drummer. Well, if you look at the musicians in this book you'll see that they all have one overwhelming characteristic in common. All of these guys have their own distinctive voice—that sound that from the very first backbeat you know it's them. It ranges from Charlie Watts' laconic two and four to Dave Clark's drum-corps formalism; from Bernard Purdie's soulful precision to Levon Helm's country slip and slide. All of these men are featured players in creating the sound of their bands. As much as Mick's voice and Keith's guitar, Charlie Watts' snare sound is the Rolling Stones. He's a great example of the kind of power and character a great drummer can bring to his band, deepening not only the physical force of the music, but also the depth of emotion and heart the songwriter gets out of his characters. When Mick sings, "It's only rock 'n' roll but I like it," Charlie's in the back showing you why! All these players share this gift plus the incredible emotional flexibility to set up in the back of the bandstand—behind the egomaniacs and show-offs out front. But I guess all these guy's figured that one out.

So, Max, take it away, and in the words of the greatest bandleader of all time, James Brown, "Give the drummer some!"

Bruce Springsteen
                            Los Angeles, California
                            May 1991
                            Davidokun
                            Last edited by Davidokun; 08-26-2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
                              From Wikipedia:

The foreword of the second publication:

from Bernard Purdue's soulful precision
                              I read the book years ago and it was pretty good. I assume the online editor fell asleep on this one as the assumption here is this should be Bernard Purdie.

Comment

Working...
                              X