Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surrendering To Metric (NOT the Metric vs. Imperial Argument AGAIN!)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    There's a few events now where, when it's listed in Imperial, I have no idea if it's good or not. Like wLJ, wJT, wSP, w/m HT

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      I wouldn't bet on that...
      What reason (other than to troll) would cause someone to open a pointless, overly rehashed thread?

      Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
      Whatever. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      I hear ya, bro.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        What reason (other than to troll) would cause someone to open a pointless, overly rehashed thread?



        I hear ya, bro.
        The metric threads are fascinating....there is always some delusional soul who thinks that if Americans only learned metric.....

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          The metric threads are fascinating....there is always some delusional soul who thinks that if Americans only learned metric.....
          That adds nothing to what this thread is actually about (aka trolling). Start one with the above thought.

          Comment


          • #20
            Things are pretty flat where I'm located, but there is a somewhat long uphill stretch of road near my work that's included on one of my frequent lunchtime walking routes. I've noticed that there were some numbers and letters spray painted at pretty consistent intervals along near the edge of the road going up it reads "START", "110", "220", "330", "440", and lastly "F" (this is a little closer the 440 than the other markings are to each other, but at that point you're approaching a busy street). Every year or two, I see them repainted as the marks tend to fade and disappear over time.

            I can't be certain what the strange markings mean, and I've never actually seen anyone running on that road during my walks, but we do have a few high schools in the area with cross country teams in a state that still runs 3 miles instead of 5K, and I occasionally see the local university's distance crew jogging on a trail that connects to that road.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              That adds nothing to what this thread is actually about (aka trolling). Start one with the above thought.
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                The metric threads are fascinating....there is always some delusional soul who thinks that if Americans only learned metric.....
                It should be noted that many Americans (perhaps an increasing number) were born in other countries and were beyond infancy when they came to the US. Those Americans did not have to learn metric--it's their native language.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                  It should be noted that many Americans (perhaps an increasing number) were born in other countries and were beyond infancy when they came to the US. Those Americans did not have to learn metric--it's their native language.
                  The 6 of my grandchildren who are in 4th grade or up seem well-versed in it also. As we know, most HS and all college meets now measure in it, but

                  I say again

                  This is not a metric VS. imperial thread - it's just my coming to terms with the inevitability of USA T&F going to it, sooner than later.
                  I was actually surprised to realize that even I, a dyed-in-the-wool-card-carrying-Imperial-Stat-nerd, now have greater familiarity with Met marks than Imp marks.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by tandfman View Post

                    It should be noted that many Americans (perhaps an increasing number) were born in other countries and were beyond infancy when they came to the US. Those Americans did not have to learn metric--it's their native language.
                    True....but they still have to learn the imperial system...and that isn't changing anytime soon.

                    https://hbr.org/2009/10/a-metric-of-...competiti.html

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      “When will the U.S. be entirely converted?” he said. “Not for seven or more generations, if ever.”

                      The U.S. customary system might have one foot in the grave. But the other is alive and kicking.

                      https://www.wsj.com/articles/will-th...of-11628242201

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        The 6 of my grandchildren who are in 4th grade or up seem well-versed in it also. As we know, most HS and all college meets now measure in it, but

                        I say again

                        This is not a metric VS. imperial thread - it's just my coming to terms with the inevitability of USA T&F going to it, sooner than later.
                        I was actually surprised to realize that even I, a dyed-in-the-wool-card-carrying-Imperial-Stat-nerd, now have greater familiarity with Met marks than Imp marks.
                        USTAF is already on metric....doesn't mean the fans are....all the announcing for the field events at Hayward this year was imperial....that isn't changing anytime soon.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          “When will the U.S. be entirely converted?” he said. “Not for seven or more generations, if ever.”
                          Total BS.
                          If a generation is 30 years, it will be 1 generation. But it won't be by mandate; it'll just happen as more and more things casually go metric for efficiency's sake, like Coke in a 2-liter bottle.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Righto! That will do it...

                            After World War II, international consumers of Coca-Cola requested more options when purchasing the beverage. Up until the mid 1950’s, Coca-Cola was sold in a 6.5-ounce glass contour bottle. This finally changed when Coca-Cola began producing bigger sizes in 1955 and eventually metal cans in 1960. By 1977, the company began producing its first plastic 2-liter bottles.

                            https://www.interexchange.org/articl...ory-coca-cola/

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              Righto! That will do it...
                              ?!
                              It was an example, not a fiat to change.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                                The metric threads are fascinating....there is always some delusional soul who thinks that if Americans only learned metric.....
                                I love it when Atticus & Conor start arguing. It's so entertaining.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X