Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surrendering To Metric (NOT the Metric vs. Imperial Argument AGAIN!)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Day 1 of DL final.
    mSP: two excellent, three very good.
    wSP: one very good, one good.
    wHJ: three top, one very good.
    mLJ: two good.
    wLJ: one excellent, one very good, two good.
    Either the standards are uneven, or wSP and mLJ had really poor competitions.
    Any single competition, even of this high-caliber, can't cover a statistical range evenly.

By almost any expectation, the results of each event were as my model (based on an entire season) described above.

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    Day 1 of DL final.

I don't think those of us who got used to Lewis, Powell, Myricks, or more recently Echevarría and Manyonga can recalibrate to the current crop. The event is without doubt down.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Day 1 of DL final.

mSP: two excellent, three very good.
    wSP: one very good, one good.
    wHJ: three top, one very good.
    mLJ: two good.
    wLJ: one excellent, one very good, two good.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Same as a 25'11 and 26' jump.
    The point is that the "benchmark" moves depending on whether you use metric and imperial. 8m is longer than 26ft, and 8.50 is shorter than 28ft.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    26' 2 1/2" seems to be a lot further than 7.99m

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Like Bill Walton saying 6'11" was tall and 7' was a freak.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    So a 7.99 jump won a DL. That sounds pathetic. But if the winning mark had been 8.01, that would look a bit more respectable. This is entirely an illusion. The different between 7.99 and 8.01 is exactly the same as the difference between 8.01 and 8.03. But going over a certain round number somehow makes the mark look more important.
    Same as a 25'11 and 26' jump.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    So a 7.99 jump won a DL. That sounds pathetic. But if the winning mark had been 8.01, that would look a bit more respectable. This is entirely an illusion. The different between 7.99 and 8.01 is exactly the same as the difference between 8.01 and 8.03. But going over a certain round number somehow makes the mark look more important.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Obviously people here really, REALLY enjoy the MvI argument, because it was not the original premise of this thread AT ALL, yet we're right back to it!

Leave a comment:

• Merner521
    replied
    And on these threads I always like to point out that track never really did go to metric. It simply converted the true imperial specifications over to metric equivalents. What are our favorite events this year? Yeah. Men's shot put, 400m hurdles (both M/W), and W-triple jump. A shot weighs 7.26 kilograms. that's a strange number. Men's 400 hurdles are set at a height of 0.914 meters, and women's at 0.762. A standard TJ runway (and track lane, for that matter) is 1.22m wide. And why three jumps - shouldn't it be 10 jumps?

Also, if you peruse the WA facilities manual, you'll see lots of references to degrees, but none to radians. Come on, that's the equivalent of timing races with a sun dial!

Leave a comment:

• Merner521
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    The U.S. customary system might have one foot in the grave. But the other is alive and kicking.
    Don't you mean 30 centimeters in the grave? Either way, sounds like it will be quite a while until imperial is two meters under...

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
    I love it when Atticus & Conor start arguing. It's so entertaining.
    Ha! I kinda like it too! All in good spirit, I hope.

Leave a comment:

• The Klingon
    replied
    Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

LOL!!!!

Leave a comment:

• J Rorick
    replied

The metric threads are fascinating....there is always some delusional soul who thinks that if Americans only learned metric.....

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Righto! That will do it...
    ?!
    It was an example, not a fiat to change.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X