X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

The house I grew up in the 1960s cost my parents $18,000.
    my parents bought our house in 1954 for $8000. They were rather amused when I drove up in my new BMW in '78 and told them it cost more than the house had.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Starting a duplicate thread because you don't remember the previous one is a sign of .... never mind
    That's why I enjoy Easter so much more now - I can hide my own eggs.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    The Kent Theater in the Bronx charged 20 cents for a TRIPLE feature--that was 1958 or 1959!
    My first apt (Feb 1964) in Panorama City (LA) was $105 per month--nicely furnished studio, large walk in closet, bath, kitchen, and swimming pool!
    Minimum wage on my first job (summer 1962) was $1.25/hour.
    Bought a brand new 1965 Mustang convertible (red and black) in August of '65, cost $3289!!
    A pack of Topps baseball cards (early to mid-50's) was a dime (??), and had 15 cards and a large piece of bubble gum!
    Loaf of white bread was a quarter!!

And on and on!

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Starting a duplicate thread because you don't remember the previous one is a sign of .... never mind.

Prices I Remember - Track & Field News Forums (trackandfieldnews.com)

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    The more I fight it, the more I am overwhelmed by it. The cost of things from my childhood is still very vivid in my mind. Lonewolf has more horror stories. AAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!
    Yeah, I could regale you with examples of how cheap some things were in the Great Depression of the (19)30s. The sobering fact is, no one had any money to buy those bargains. True, technical innovations get cheaper with time but inflation tends to keep the overall relative cost of stuff vs wages fairly constant.
    In 1955, my 1000 Sq Ft, GI Bill house cost $10,018. Sixty-seven years later, right on schedule with the 10.2 inflation calculator, those houses are selling for $100 K to $105 K.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    I remember a guy in college, circa late 50's saying : "When I graduate I'm going to get a job that pays me $10,000." My first car a brand new Karman Ghia: $1900. And in the Army when I left in 1969 my pay was: $375 monthly. Of course my apartment in Italy was $75 a month. My college trip to Europe. $389.00 round trip: Icelandic Airlines.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Ours too ....bought in 1955....

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    1960 was indeed the year to which I refer, and according to the US Inflation Calculator (www.usinflationcalculator.com), we currently sit at approx 922% inflation from then, so here are 'corrected' costs.

Movie $3.22, Popcorn 92¢. Losing.
    Gas $1.84/gal. Losing
    McDonald’s burger $1.38, fries 92¢, coke 92¢. =Value Menu
    Comic Book 92¢. Losing.
    Popsicle 64¢. Losing.
    Candy bar 46¢. Losing.
    Bubble gum 9¢. Losing.

Meanwhile, some things are much cheaper now (and better), like TVs!!

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I remember those prices...also everyone made a lot less.

For the country as a whole, the average (median) income of families in 1960 was $5,600; but, for families headed by persons 65 years and over, the average was only $2,900, according to estimates released today by the Bureau of the Census, Department of Commerce.

https://www.census.gov/library/publi...o/p60-037.html

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I remember those prices...also everyone made a lot less.

For the country as a whole, the average (median) income of families in 1960 was $5,600; but, for families headed by persons 65 years and over, the average was only $2,900, according to estimates released today by the Bureau of the Census, Department of Commerce.

https://www.census.gov/library/publi...o/p60-037.html
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-02-2021, 11:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    started a topic True Geezerhood

True Geezerhood

The more I fight it, the more I am overwhelmed by it. The cost of things from my childhood is still very vivid in my mind. Lonewolf has more horror stories.

Movie 35¢, Popcorn 10¢
    Gas 20¢/gal
    McDonald’s burger 15¢, fries 10¢, coke 10¢
    Comic Book 10¢
    Popsicle 7¢
    Candy bar 5¢
    Bubble gum 1¢

AAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!
Working...
X