Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    As jazzy said, Ford gave up on the play and was nearly behind Wilson and could have simply pushed him out of bounds without garnering a penalty.
    So why didn't he? Sportsmanship, which was the big sticking point with Pickett's play. Wilson was clearly being just as 'deceptive' as Pickett, and I have no problem with either play, but clearly officials will look for this in the future or LBs WILL "light 'em up" on the line, even as QBs are slowing down and 'clearly' going out of bounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      So why didn't he? Sportsmanship, which was the big sticking point with Pickett's play. Wilson was clearly being just as 'deceptive' as Pickett, and I have no problem with either play, but clearly officials will look for this in the future or LBs WILL "light 'em up" on the line, even as QBs are slowing down and 'clearly' going out of bounds.
      The difference is that the ONLY reason a player ever slides is to give himself up but that's not the case with slowing down. Players also slow down to fake out defenders and set up blocks. Punt returnsers routinely slow down.and defenders know they have to stay with the play. It wasn't clear what Wilson's intent was from what I could see. I hope this helps you out.
      Last edited by jazzcyclist; 12-27-2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
        It wasn't clear what Wilson's intent was from what I could see.
        Ha! That's exactly what I said about Pickett's 'slide'. It looked like a juke to me.

Comment

Ha! That's exactly what I said about Pickett's 'slide'. It looked like a juke to me.
          But what was unique is that it was a fake slide, not just a simple fake meant to evade defenders. Look at the way Pickett dragged his foot on the turf. The fact that the powers-that-be acted so swiftly to change the rule indicates that they didn't see Pickett's move as an ordinary fake.

Comment

The fact that the powers-that-be acted so swiftly to change the rule indicates that they didn't see Pickett's move as an ordinary fake.
            The fact that the powers-that-be acted so swiftly to change the rule indicates that they thought that if another QB tried a fake-slide, he'd be hospitalized.

Comment

The fact that the powers-that-be acted so swiftly to change the rule indicates that they thought that if another QB tried a fake-slide, he'd be hospitalized.
              You say that like it's a bad thing. Shouldn't NCAA officials make rules and rule changes based on player safety? Also, doesn't the non-reaction of the NFL indicate that there was nothing wrong with Wilson's move? Why do you think you're the only one who sees these plays as the same?
              Last edited by jazzcyclist; 12-28-2021, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Why do you think you're the only one who sees these plays as the same?
                My guess is that I am not as emotionally invested in the game as fans (short for fanatics), who get reeeeeeally defensive about the sanctity of their game. I just see it is as a game.

Comment

My guess is that I am not as emotionally invested in the game as fans (short for fanatics), who get reeeeeeally defensive about the sanctity of their game. I just see it is as a game.
                  It's ironic that you see yourself as the disinterested spectator considering the fact that you keep bringing up the Pickett play.

Comment

• I have only been watching football for about 80 years, long before the advent of movies, TV, instant replay, etc. Now we see bad calls, no calls in every game. I am confident this is not a new thing. Makes me wonder how we ever finished a game and accepted the result.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      I have only been watching football for about 80 years, long before the advent of movies, TV, instant replay, etc. Now we see bad calls, no calls in every game. I am confident this is not a new thing. Makes me wonder how we ever finished a game and accepted the result.
                      For most of those 80 years sliding wasn't a thing, it is only recently that football has been turned into a wussy game. Even into the early part of the 21st century, plays like this were considered good clean football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhtqhwK2er0

Comment

It's ironic that you see yourself as the disinterested spectator considering the fact that you keep bringing up the Pickett play.
                        Being disinterested does not mean uninterested. I find this discussion VERY interesting. I bring up Pickett's play, because I see both his and Wilson's play as heads-up thinking on-the-run (literally). I do see problems in the future if safety issues are not addressed.

Comment

For most of those 80 years sliding wasn't a thing, it is only recently that football has been turned into a wussy game. Even into the early part of the 21st century, plays like this were considered good clean football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhtqhwK2er0
                          All true. Football is a violent game involving larger-than-average humans. It is amazing that any player finishes a game uninjured. You can pass rules intended to minimize injury in certain circumstances but you cannot legislate immunity from harm. Despite the best intentions of all involved, there are going to be injuries. The object of the game is to advance or detain the football. If you can't hit them low or high, how ya gonna stop em?
                          My point is, imo, faking a slide is no more deceptive or "unfair" than any other strategy in playcalling and a defensive player should pursue a ball carrier until the carrier is down or out of bounds. If the pursuer erroneously assumes what the carrier is going to do and eases up, shame on him.

Comment

My point is, imo, faking a slide is no more deceptive or "unfair" than any other strategy in playcalling and a defensive player should pursue a ball carrier until the carrier is down or out of bounds. If the pursuer erroneously assumes what the carrier is going to do and eases up, shame on him.
                            I think the reason why the fake slide was outlawed is because referees expect defenders to pull up as soon as the quarterback begins his slide and not wait until the quarterback is actually on the ground. Too many times I've seen defensive players get called for personal fouls and targeting when they waited too late to pull up and their momentum made incidental contact with the quarterback unavoidable. I wouldn't have a problem with fake slides if incidental contact with the quarterback is permitted, but I'm sure quarterbacks wouldn't like that interpretation of the rule.

Comment

It is unfair because the defense is required to pull up and not make contact when the QB slides. The defense cannot continue until the player is down or out of bounds once the player goes into the slide.

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with fake slides if incidental contact with the quarterback is permitted, but I'm sure quarterbacks wouldn't like that interpretation of the rule.
                                The whistle shouldn't blow till his butt is on the ground. Once it is, all the defender has to do is touch him and the play is over. If the defender is airborne when the whistle blows, it should be a fair hit.

Comment

Working...
                                X