30 TD/26INT
    83.0 Passer rating

Big Ben

63 comp %
    5,757 yards
    34/28
    86,4 passer rating

Hmmmm?
    Bradshaw did that 57% in an era when they threw passes downfield, rather than the screen passes that make up 80% of today's passing game - the West Coast offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

That's the nuanced contextual take, so it won't land. 🤷‍♂️
      What won't land is Terry Bradshaw being better than Big Ben when it's very obvious he wasn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

AlcyAllen/Brutal/Texas - I wish I was as smart as you. You always seem to know all the answers. Its amazing how smart you are. We should all be proud to bask in the glow of your superior intelligence.

Care to expain to me the Dunning-Kruger effect?
        Not about smarts it's all about experience, things ya learn over time, stuff like...

don't spit into the wind
        always tell her her hair looks WOW!
        always check for the TP before sitting down
        change that oil

These NFL teams want to win and don't care what you did if you can help them win. Antonio Brown is a dynamic player one who can make a dramatic difference day one. I would bring him in if possible, if he's cool with it which he'd have to be. Pretty sure the playoffs get his best behavior.

Funny thing about his days with Big Ben who was out of Miami of Ohio, Brown out of Central Michigan, yep....The MAC Attack.

Don't think most get just how great his numbers are, already a Hall of Fame career.
        Last edited by Alcyallen; 01-05-2022, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post

Not about smarts it's all about experience, things ya learn over time, stuff like...

don't spit into the wind
          always tell her her hair looks WOW!
          always check for the TP before sitting down
          change that oil

These NFL teams want to win and don't care what you did if you can help them win. Antonio Brown is a dynamic player one who can make a dramatic difference day one. I would bring him in if possible, if he's cool with it which he'd have to be. Pretty sure the playoffs get his best behavior.

Funny thing about his days with Big Ben who was out of Miami of Ohio, Brown out of Central Michigan, yep....The MAC Attack.

Don't think most get just how great his numbers are, already a Hall of Fame career.
          Wow! You're amazing. You're so smart - and so experienced. I bet the girls just swoon over you when they meet you.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Wow! You're amazing. You're so smart - and so experienced. I bet the girls just swoon over you when they meet you.
            I need the wife to read that one, she just grinned.

Been married for 40 years , last time the girls swooned was around 1980, I still remember it, ha~~~~~ I was a dancer, loved to dance and could, my James Brown impersonation won more than one talent show.
            Last edited by Alcyallen; 01-05-2022, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Not sure how we can keep Big Ben out of the Top 10 All Time. Why would we want to to begin with?

He won a couple Superbowls, multi time pro bowler, top 7ish when it comes to stats, so why not a top 10er? Longevity at the top, it's all there.

Comment

don't spit into the wind

I agree that Ben will make the Hall of Fame, but it won't be in his 1st year of eligibility. But he's not close to being top 10 all-time - neither is Bradshaw, really.

I do agree with you about the above advice, so I'm going to follow it and not debate with you about Big Ben.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

I agree that Ben will make the Hall of Fame, but it won't be in his 1st year of eligibility. But he's not close to being top 10 all-time - neither is Bradshaw, really.

I do agree with you about the above advice, so I'm going to follow it and not debate with you about Big Ben.
                  There aren't 10 NFL QB's who out stat Big Ben, and how many won more Superbowls and out stated him? The guy has the numbers, really not 10 others with better ones.

Long career of putting up Hall of Fame numbers.

Comment

• This is some hard-core blunt obstinate obtuse behavior.

A total lack of era context analysis.

bambam1729 The Dunning-Kruger effect is one of the most fascinating human phenomenons to me and we're seeing a textbook case being displayed in technicolor glory.
                    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

This is some hard-core blunt obstinate obtuse behavior.

A total lack of era context analysis.

bambam1729 The Dunning-Kruger effect is one of the most fascinating human phenomenons to me and we're seeing a textbook case being displayed in technicolor glory.
                      Well in his era Bradshaw faced inferior defenses than what Big Ben saw, he was less revered having only three pro bowls to Big Bens six. Bradshaw surrounded by Hall of Famers everywhere while Big Ben wasn't.

I saw both play many times, Big Ben without question the better QB. Put Bradshaw on any other team and we aren't talking about him now. Can't say that about Big Ben.

Comment

• Who here really thinks Don Hutson is putting up the numbers he did in his era? Think the cornerbacks he faced back then were anywhere close to what Jerry Rice faced, see how it works?

Do think Jim Brown at 6-2 230 could play today but no way he is averaging over 5 yards a carry.

Only old timer where the era just doesn't matter, Bob Hayes. He could blow by these guys today just like he did in his day.
                        Last edited by Alcyallen; 01-05-2022, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• When comparing athletes from different era, I think most would agree that there is no team sport for which stats are as irrelevant as they are in the NFL because no sport has been affected by rule changes, equipment improvements and technology as much as the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                            When comparing athletes from different era, I think most would agree that there is no team sport for which stats are as irrelevant as they are in the NFL because no sport has been affected by rule changes, equipment improvements and technology as much as the NFL.
                            The most obvious factor is the difference in the athletes involved. Back in 85 the Frig at 320 was an oddity, right now Alabama and Georgia have about 40 300 pounders between them, NFL lines averaging over 300 pounds. HS kids 300 pounds,

The athletes of today are far superior to what we saw back in the day and once upon a time.

Comment

The most obvious factor is the difference in the athletes involved. Back in 85 the Frig at 320 was an oddity, right now Alabama and Georgia have about 40 300 pounders between them, NFL lines averaging over 300 pounds. HS kids 300 pounds,

The athletes of today are far superior to what we saw back in the day and once upon a time.
                              That may be true but it's also irrelevant since athletes from any era benefit from the same medicine, nutrition and strength and conditioning programs as their peers. For example, Usain Bolt would have run a lot slower than 9.58 if he had born in 1913 and Jesse Owen's would have run a lot faster than 10.3 if he had been born in 1986.

Comment

While I agree, the majority of TV/radio sports talking heads also are afflicted. I just saw the ALL Madden biopic on Fox and there was a guy who actually did know what he was talking about. Tony Romo is the best now and will often call plays just before they happen, and then explain why it did or did not work.

What we're seeing in this thread is somebody who has convinced himself that his opinion outweighs everyone else's. While he obviously does know a great deal of data and empirical evidence, he assumes that makes him better prepared than others to make judgments, while he is clearly unaware that they are just opinions, not 'rational facts'.

Comment

Working...
                                X