Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Tusk View Post

One played for "America's Team" at the height of their popularity, the other bounced around "mid-market" teams and was not plastered across everyone's TV every Sunday. This is a useful tool that shows just how far down the totem pole Aikman is among HOF QBs: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm
    Since the conversation occasionally drifted in this thread to QB rankings, I thought bringing up Aikman as possibly the poster boy for riding the coattails of a teams performance was appropriate.

Noted philosopher Warren Sapp said of Johnson to Michael Irvin..."I'll take my guy. Check the stats".

Comment

• Raiders TE Darren Wallers great grandpa jazz/blues legend Fats Waller

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Since the conversation occasionally drifted in this thread to QB rankings, I thought bringing up Aikman as possibly the poster boy for riding the coattails of a teams performance was appropriate.

Noted philosopher Warren Sapp said of Johnson to Michael Irvin..."I'll take my guy. Check the stats".
        I've long considered Aikman the most overrated QB ever.

Ken Anderson is by far the most underrated.
        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Aikman is like the Derek Jeter of the NFL. Really good player who benefitted from playing a high profile position, surrounded by immense talent, on the most popular franchise when they won several titles. Jeter is a notch above Aikman, but is the closest analogue that came to mind immediately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Tusk View Post

Aikman is like the Derek Jeter of the NFL. Really good player who benefitted from playing a high profile position, surrounded by immense talent, on the most popular franchise when they won several titles. Jeter is a notch above Aikman, but is the closest analogue that came to mind immediately.
            Almost perfect comparison. Aikman wasn't bad...he was a capable QB inserted into a perfect scenario for his skill set.

Comment

[Just as an aside - no hijack intended!]
              I always thought Yogi Berra was the most under-rated (by the general public) MLBer. He was laughed off for his Yogi-isms and the cartoon bear, and while some of his 18 All-Star Game selections may have been from his popularity, his 3 MVP trophies were legit. MLB knew who he was, but the fans mostly just liked his personality.

Comment

Pretty close nothing really dramatic other than Aikman's SB wins which is about team.

Aikman

6 time pro bowler
                61.5 comp %
                165/141 td/int
                81.6 passer rating

Anderson

4 time pro bowler 1 time All Pro
                197/160

I have no doubts if Anderson was a Cowboy he has the same if not more success that Aikman had. Only player I can think of out of Augustana Ken Anderson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post

Pretty close nothing really dramatic other than Aikman's SB wins which is about team.

Aikman

6 time pro bowler
                  61.5 comp %
                  165/141 td/int
                  81.6 passer rating

Anderson

4 time pro bowler 1 time All Pro
                  197/160

I have no doubts if Anderson was a Cowboy he has the same if not more success that Aikman had. Only player I can think of out of Augustana Ken Anderson.
                  Again...era context. Nearly identical passing stats, but Anderson's era was way harder on passers. Also Anderson was an incredibly good runner.

Comment

Again...era context. Nearly identical passing stats, but Anderson's era was way harder on passers. Also Anderson was an incredibly good runner.
                    I get the era thing but also with that comes better defenses which Aikman faced. But, do agree Aikman is overrated with Anderson needing more props. Yeah Anderson had good wheels, he could motor. I can see a 4.6 40.

Comment

• Genetics

JJ and TJ Watt:

Just a handful have led the NFL in sacks twice. Both have.

Only a handful have had 20+ sacks. Both have.

At their combines both had 37" verticals!

JJ multiple Defensive Player of the Year. TJ sure to join him.

Who are the best brothers in league history?

Ronde and Tiki Barber - Both HoF caliber. Tiki quit 2 years too soon to get the call.

Manning brothers - Eli's case is...interesting. He was a regular season compiler and played long enough to be high on stat leader board. 2 SB rings in epic fashion. .500 regular season.

Kelce brothers - Both are tracking very nicely to the HoF. Travis still needs a couple productive seasons.

The Watts - JJ HoF for sure. TJ has a ways to go but is tracking nicely.

Sterling and Shannon Sharpe - Concussions kept Sterling from getting there before Shannon.

Clay and Bruce Matthews - Bruce is in and growing up in Ohio in the 80s I can't think of a reason Clay isn't in as well.

I know there have been many other brother combos, but off the top of my head I can't think of any more where both (or more) HoF talents.
                      Last edited by scottmitchell74; 01-13-2022, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post
                        RIP Don Maynard,
                        As a kid I always thought the single-bar face mask was so cool. Now I view it as insanely risky.

Comment

I know there have been many other brother combos, but off the top of my head I can't think of any more where both (or more) HoF talents.
                          I'd throw in the Pouncy bros (13 ProBowls, 8 for Maurkice and 5 for Mike) and Clay (4 ProBowls, 62 sacks) & Bruce ( HoF, 14 ProBowls) Matthews.

HM: Randall (VC's dad!) & Sam Cunningham
                          Last edited by Atticus; 01-13-2022, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

As a kid I always thought the single-bar face mask was so cool. Now I view it as insanely risky.
                            I'm with you, single face mask was cool. And....dangerous.

Comment

Genetics

JJ and TJ Watt:

Just a handful have led the NFL in sacks twice. Both have.

Only a handful have had 20+ sacks. Both have.

At their combines both had 37" verticals!

JJ multiple Defensive Player of the Year. TJ sure to join him.

Who are the best brothers in league history?

Ronde and Tiki Barber - Both HoF caliber. Tiki quit 2 years too soon to get the call.

Manning brothers - Eli's case is...interesting. He was a regular season compiler and played long enough to be high on stat leader board. 2 SB rings in epic fashion. .500 regular season.

Kelce brothers - Both are tracking very nicely to the HoF. Travis still needs a couple productive seasons.

The Watts - JJ HoF for sure. TJ has a ways to go but is tracking nicely.

Sterling and Shannon Sharpe - Concussions kept Sterling from getting there before Shannon.

Clay and Bruce Matthews - Bruce is in and growing up in Ohio in the 80s I can't think of a reason Clay isn't in as well.

Just some NFL brothers....

Gale and Ron Sayers......one season, other bro Roger a world class sprinter
                              Walter and Eddie Payton
                              Mario and Michael Bates...Olympic 200m bronze
                              Art and Benny Malone
                              Cam and Cedrick Newton
                              Derek and David Carr
                              Rocket and Quadry Ismail
                              Matt and Tim Hasselback
                              Last edited by Alcyallen; 01-13-2022, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Last night Buffalo played a perfect offensive game, 7 possessions and 7 touchdowns. Their only miscues were 2 missed extra points.
                                Last edited by jazzcyclist; 01-16-2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X