Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Football

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

    All those other cycle races had in common were that they were part of the same sport but those other 14 games are part of the same league as the one where the incident occurred.
    That's a distinction without significance. If you're part of the UCI Pro Tour, you're part of the same fraternity of guys who race in the Tour de France whether you get called up for the Tour or not. Do you think football players who are on the taxi squad or were not activated last week were any less affected by Hamlin's collapse than players who were active. What about journeymen players who bounce back and forth from the NFL to the CFL?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

      That's a distinction without significance. If you're part of the UCI Pro Tour, you're part of the same fraternity of guys who race in the Tour de France whether you get called up for the Tour or not. Do you think football players who are on the taxi squad or were not activated last week were any less affected by Hamlin's collapse than players who were active. What about journeymen players who bounce back and forth from the NFL to the CFL?
      Well I would say that it is significant. Not least that the Pro Tour didn't exist in 1995. While there may have been other pro cycling races taking place the day after Casartelli's death, they would have each had completely separate organisation to the Tour de France. The other football games are part of a single competition run by the NFL. The CFL isn't relevant in this case as their season has already finished.

      While I don't doubt that both Casartelli's death and Hamlin's collapse would have an emotional effect on many pros in either sport who were neither team-mates or participating in the same race or game, that was not the point I was making.
      Last edited by Trickstat; 01-07-2023, 10:48 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
        [

        Well I would say that it is significant. Not least that the Pro Tour didn't exist in 1995. While there may have been other pro cycling races taking place the day after Casartelli's death, they would have each had completely separate organisation to the Tour de France. The other football games are part of a single competition run by the NFL. The CFL isn't relevant in this case as their season has already finished.
        UCI ~ NFL

        Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
        [While I don't doubt that both Casartelli's death and Hamlin's collapse would have an emotional effect on many pros in either sport who were neither team-mates or participating in the same race or game, that was not the point I was making.
        That's the point I was making. You're refuting my point, I never refuted yours.

        Comment


        • Another flashback from 2007.

          Digging Deep: The Legacy of Ryan Shay Ten Years After His Death at The Olympic Marathon Trials - LetsRun.com

          Of course, the difference with this case was that other runners didn't know during the race that Shay had collapsed.


          Comment


          • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

            The next day's stage was neutralized but the peleton allowed Lance Armstrong to go ahead at the end for the stage victory. This was Lance pre-cancer and pre-dominance. They allowed him to win because he was Casartelli's teammate and close friend. As he crossed the finish line he pointed to the sky remembering Casartelli.
            Not quite. Casartelli died on stage 15. Stage 16 was neutralized with all the riders crossing the finish line together. Erik Zabel won stage 17, which was a sprinter's stage into Bordeaux. Lance Armstrong won stage 18 after a long breakaway.

            Comment


            • Back to NFL Football!

              How 'bout dem Jags?!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Back to NFL Football!

                How 'bout dem Jags?!
                It's amazing how much better they are without a scumbag as a head coach. This is the same guy who misevaluated Joe Burrow. Looking back, I wonder how scottmitchell feels about him letting Burrow get out of Columbus.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                  It's amazing how much better they are without a scumbag as a head coach. This is the same guy who misevaluated Joe Burrow. Looking back, I wonder how scottmitchell feels about him letting Burrow get out of Columbus.
                  After his Season For the Ages at LSU, I'm a huge Joe fan and by extension, Cincy now.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                    It's amazing how much better they are without a scumbag as a head coach. This is the same guy who misevaluated Joe Burrow. Looking back, I wonder how scottmitchell feels about him letting Burrow get out of Columbus.
                    Yeah I try not to remember that it ever happened...so thanks for that.






                    But I'm a Burrow fan now.

                    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                      Not quite. Casartelli died on stage 15. Stage 16 was neutralized with all the riders crossing the finish line together. Erik Zabel won stage 17, which was a sprinter's stage into Bordeaux. Lance Armstrong won stage 18 after a long breakaway.
                      Oops, sorry - I mis-remembered!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                        Yeah I try not to remember that it ever happened...so thanks for that.






                        But I'm a Burrow fan now.
                        His Heisman Trophy ceremony was my favorite of all times, not only because of his speech which left tears in my eyes, but also how the Ohio State coaches and players savored the moment with him, despite the fact that he had just beat out 2 Buckeyes for the trophy. All the love he got in social media out of Columbus from former teammates and fans was the icing on the cake. 😎

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                          His Heisman Trophy ceremony was my favorite of all times, not only because of his speech which left tears in my eyes, but also how the Ohio State coaches and players savored the moment with him, despite the fact that he had just beat out 2 Buckeyes for the trophy. All the love he got in social media out of Columbus was the icing on the cake. 😎
                          Jazz - that should be "The Ohio State coaches and players ... "

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

                            Jazz - that should be "The Ohio State coaches and players ... "
                            😀

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                              Jazz - that should be "The Ohio State coaches and players ... "
                              Don't enable them. I root against them (and Bama) every chance I get. Goes back to their pre-game arrogance in the 71 Rose Bowl, when Jim Plunkett heshed their mouf!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Don't enable them. I root against them (and Bama) every chance I get. Goes back to their pre-game arrogance in the 71 Rose Bowl, when Jim Plunkett heshed their mouf!
                                Since you brought my all-time favorite QB who is decades into his snubbing:

                                Devin Hester was All-Decade, NFL 100 selection and the best at his role ever...100 years.

                                That's a HOF resume. He needs to get the call.
                                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X