Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man dies after bat bite; Illinois’ first human rabies case in more than half-century

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man dies after bat bite; Illinois’ first human rabies case in more than half-century

An elderly Lake County man recently died of rabies after being bitten by a bat — the first human case of the disease in Illinois in 67 years, health officials said Tuesday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the diagnosis Tuesday after laboratory testing. The man died earlier this month, about 30 days after awakening to find a bat on his neck. McHenry County Coroner Michael Rein identified the man as Thomas Krob, 87, of Spring Grove, in a Tuesday evening news release.

The bat was captured, health officials said, and tested positive for rabies. The man was advised to seek treatment, but declined to do so, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health.

It was the first reported case of a human contracting rabies in Illinois since 1954, state health officials said.

He was bitten in mid-August and began experiencing symptoms a month later, including neck pain and headache, difficulty controlling his arms and difficulty speaking, authorities said.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...uma-story.html

There's a Darwin case for you.
    Presumably anti covid vaxer as well

Comment

If you won't take a shot for rabies probably the most fatal disease known....

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
        Could be dementia or other age-related mental decline, given that he let this happen and he was 87:

https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2...hile-sleeping/ (non-paywalled article)
        Wildlife experts also found a bat colony in the man’s home, which is in unincorporated Spring Grove in Lake County.

Comment

Not necessarily so. My in-laws have become incredibly difficult to deal with when it comes to medical care however they have and had no problem getting their Covid and flu vaccines. If you have not been through it, and I'm involved in the elder care industry at least peripherally, their situation and likely the bat bite guy are not unusual situations.

Comment

Rabies treatment is extremely expensive, it is possible that was a factor in him declining it.

Comment

If he was 87, he would probably beget no more offspring in any case...

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                Rabies treatment is extremely expensive, it is possible that was a factor in him declining it.
                I find it hard to believe that was the reason in Illinois....it is the first case in 67 years.

Otoh.....you could be right.

Vox learned of McNamee’s bat incident during a running, months-long investigation into emergency room costs. Readers from across the country have contributed more than 1,000 bills to Vox’s emergency room bill database. In reviewing those bills, I kept coming across something I didn’t expect to see: readers with significant medical debt from rabies treatment.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/pol...mpression=true
                Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-03-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

PVP thanks for the heads up.....I had no idea....It's obscene.
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-03-2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Rabies in Cook County...

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-0232_article

Comment

As a child, I remember rabies being the number 1 public health scare of the 1970s in the UK. I think we had a death early in the decade and there were posters prominently displayed in ports in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                        As a child, I remember rabies being the number 1 public health scare of the 1970s in the UK. I think we had a death early in the decade and there were posters prominently displayed in ports in particular.
                        It was feared, that's for sure. Expats couldn't bring their pets in without a very long quarantine period.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post

If he was 87, he would probably beget no more offspring in any case...
                          Tauriki was obviously basing his comment on his own, umm, "active lifestyle"!

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Tauriki was obviously basing his comment on his own, umm, "active lifestyle"!
                            If only. But having had a radical cystectomy, such an active lifestyle is sadly relegated to the field of dreams.

Comment

Back in the bad old days, my dad had to get a course of multiple rabies shots in his abdomen after a dog bite. He never really liked dogs after that for some reason.

Thankfully the injection process is much streamlined now.

Comment

Working...
                              X