Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man dies after bat bite; Illinois’ first human rabies case in more than half-century

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw one case of rabies in my entire life. In Arizona half a century ago, an 8-year old boy was bitten by a rabid skunk. He died.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Speaking of medical expenses: This may be small potatoes but I just got the bill for my ER trip for a separated shoulder. Radiology $972, Emergency/Urgent Care $3542, Medication $42, Therapy $474, Total $5030. Three hours in ER. I don't know what the Therapy was. I assume Radiology is X-Ray.
      Moral: Don't trip. If you do, don't put your arm/hand out to break your fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
        I saw one case of rabies in my entire life. In Arizona half a century ago, an 8-year old boy was bitten by a rabid skunk. He died.
        Rabies, if you actually develop it without a vaccine, is still almost uniformly fatal. Survivors are rare enough to be case reports in medical journals.

Comment

a few years back I got bitten while giving a peanut to an eager squirrel, which immediately panicked me.

my doc said the basic rule of thumb was that only meat-eating critters transmit rabies and passed on any shots.

Comment

When we went to Nepal in the 70s we got a prophylactic rabies shot.

Comment

Remind me to never get rabies.

Comment

I had one - a bat- in a spare bedroom last year. How it got in there IDNK? But it zipped by my ear and then began circling around while I grabbed club and shut the door, and began swinging at it. This went on for a few min's until I thought 'what if I connect-am I going to have Bat guts in this room'. There was an Air C. in the window,couldn't open it.

It finally stopped and rested on a window frame and I got a container over it. I brought it out to the streetlight and let it out in the road where it hobbled and flew off. No bites but it got close enough for me to hear its wings.

Comment

Reminded me of my dad's last hospital stay in 1993. He survived the hospital long enough to receive a genormous bill that included $9000 for Occupational Therapy. Although it was covered by insurance, he spent the final months of his life successfully protesting the charge. A plain-spoken man, his expletive-laced demand was, " I'm 90 years old and dying, WTF occupation are they preparing me for? "

Comment

Australia doesn't have rabies, which is a lyssavirus, but it does have Australian bat lyssavirus (ABLV) which also appears to be universally fatal. https://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...321-2giom.html

Australians are at risk of rabies by travelling to at risk locations, particularly Bali in Indonesia, which is close to Australia and where rabies is spreading. A lot of people still don't get the rabies vaccine when travelling for some reason but it's only $200 and there's a cheap test $40 test to ensure you immune system responds strongly enough.

If the vaccine works, and you get bitten, you don't need the expensive rabies immunoglobulin (RiG). There's two types of RiG, human and equine. The human one is much more expensive but has less allergic reactions, so is used in richer countries, the rest of the world uses the cheaper equine version for those that can afford it, which most can't, so they just die.

The reason for the expense is that the RiG is not manufactured, rather it has to be sourced from human or equine blood and extracted and purified, a very time consuming and thus expensive process. There is nearly always a worldwide production shortage.

Comment

Working...
                    X