Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Count me in. Appalachian, 62, happily married. Competed at most distances from 70 yards to marathon (mostly 400m/400mh). Male (just checked to make sure). Native Kentuckian now living in Alabama. Two children, three grandchildren, two guitars and a banjo. Finalist in HS State 400m, but no longer run much (due to drop foot resulting from a REALLY bad landing in the long jump at 40 years old). Joined the board in 2005 under the name Kevin Richardson, but I lost my password and started over again. Cock-eyed optimist, hopeless romantic, registered Democrat, and undying fan of Athletics.

Comment

1. Tuariki Delamere, aged 69
      2. Looking forward to being 70 in December as I get to use the 4kg shot
      3. WSU 1970-74, LJ & TJ, as John Delamere, MBA at Long Island University 75-76
      4. Kiwi
      5. Father = Maori, Mother = Caucasian English (raised culturally as Maori)
      6. Took on father's name of Tuariki at request of tribal elders
      7. Married 48 years - Wife from Hart High, Newhall, CA - same as = Fred Debarnadi
      8. 1 x daughter, 2 x sons, 8 x grandchildren
      9. Lived in NZ, USA (8 years) Samoa (3 years) and Nauru (1 year)
      10. US Army 1974-78. Stationed at USMA, West Point
      11. Currently Immigration Consultant - intend to retire when I drop dead
      12. Radical cystectomy 2019
      13. Overly opinionated
      14. Ex-politician, former Cabinet Minister
      15. First job on WSU graduation - brakeman for Magic Mountain roller coaster.
      16. 1999 APEC prevented by USSS from using bathroom while William Jefferson in there. Was hoping to verify Monica's claims
      17. Favourite "live" athletic moment - Dick Tayler 1974 CG at Christchurch 27:46
      18. Funniest athletic moment (1) Brian Oldfield picking up little old lady's car at gas station on ITA tour outside Edinburgh
      19. Funniest athletic moment (2) Same ITA tour. Scottish police stopping our 2 buses to recover a dozen silver knives, forks and spoons souvenired by some of our athletes the previous evening dinner at Holyrood Palace
      20. Funniest athletic moment (3). Stepping out of elevator at 1973 NCAAs, Baton Rouge finding a bunch of drunken throwers playing darts with javelins in the dorm hallway.

Comment

Louisville native, now in Colorado. 59 y.o.. UNC BA 1984, Duke MD 1988, then internal medicine residency in Denver. Mile and 880 in HS, not good enough to run DI after that. First track memory Munich OG age 10, Pre, Wottle, Viren, Ryun, Shorter. We got inspired and ran solo time trials around the block (7/8 mile). Next memories, Oldfield 75' ITA throw, then Bayi's mile WR. Subscriber since May 1976, eighth grade. Favorite issue might still be the '76 Olympic issue. After running career ended, 12 years of climbing (rock, ice mountains). Now a ton of biking. Hip arthritis diagnosed this April truly has ended any running, too painful. Uninstalled MrsDrJay 1.0 in 2008, kept crashing my operating system. Waited patiently for release of new version, MrsDrJay 2.0 which I installed 2018-19. Highly compatible with my operating system. She's a former body builder, still a workout junkie, now into biking. Went to the OT this year, her first major track meet, she had a really good time. She got to flex/pose with Ryan Crouser outside the Wild Duck after he threw his WR, peed in a cup and did his interviews. Now she has seen the same number of WRs as me (2). I have two great kids, 21 and 19. Plan to slow down work some in 2022, hope to have a little more time to be a better T&F fan.

My first post. May 2004, at the height of the Alan Webb hysteria:

Back Issues and .......Alan Webb

05-29-2004, 01:03 PM
        My first post on the message board--am I required to do an Alan Webb post first, kind of like a rite of initiation? If so, let me know and I'll come back and do one.

I hope this an OK use of the board. I have all the TAFNEWS back issues since April 1976 except Jan/Jul/Aug 1978, Dec 1981, and Feb/Mar 1982. Let my subsription lapse (what was I thinking?) twice and the others just came up missing. Anyone know how I might get those back issues? No luck on ebay.

(eventually got those back issues.)
        Last edited by DrJay; 10-22-2021, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Doesn't everyone know Becca is rainbowgirl?

Comment

Posters reveal themselves in bits and pieces over the years. Gives insight into their opinions. My mini-resume would probably be rejected as spam.,

Comment

Some memorable names from that old thread... MJD, squackee, several others no longer around these parts (AFAIK).

I'm Gavin Murgatroyd, deposed rush chairman of the Alpha Beta Chippy frarority (we take all who are willing to join), class of '84.

Comment

A related thread.

How Many Countries Represented on Forum? - Track & Field News Forums (trackandfieldnews.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Tuariki Delamere, aged 69
                  I love that there are many pictures of you on the interweb, so I can see who the d*ckhead is that I am arguing with 😁 I don't know much about the New Zealand First party....centre right?
                  Last edited by Wiederganger; 10-22-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Oh, the humanity! On that thread in my initial 'name', I posted:

Only to later move to another name and then, later, another.
                    tafnut = Atticus, with a Marlow in between, as I'm sure almost everyone who has been here since those days already knew.
                    You know what, I did not know! I always wondered where tafnut went to! How funny.

My first name was 'Steve' something or other I think. Then I was banned (probably dope talk, probably a confrontational tone) then went to Gabriella. When the platform was upgraded, I had to create Gabriella2, it didn't want to let me carry it over. I was then banned again for defending Koko on unfounded accusations of anorexia (must say, that ban REALLY riled me and actually upset me. I took a few weeks off). Wiederganger was then born.

I don't like to post too much personal information on here as you never know who will do what with it, but I am British English, with some French and Dutch heritage. White male, in my 40's now. I briefly studied at Cambridge Uni (i.e I dropped out) before taking a year off and graduating elsewhere. Broadly speaking, I work in Tech & Comms, but my role is way too complicated to explain. I reside in the UK.

I have met Mump & Flump from here, and we have become friends. They are every bit as boisterous in real life, but oh-so generous and knowledgeable too. They kindly let me stay at their home, pre trip to Gotzis back in 2015, and they can name every World and Olympic medalist going back to Jesus Christ. There was also a previous poster IAD73 who I'm not sure posts anymore, but we became very good friends, although we've not seen each other for a while. He is super knowledgeable too, such that when he was about 11 he won a competition to go to Roma 87, and he gave Peter Matthews a run for his money on stats. I have also met andygt (London 2017) who is as obsessed by UKR in real life as he is on here 😀

See, now I'm outing others to divert from talking about me!

I used to compete at county level in the sprints and LJ when I was aged 12 to 16. Back then, we had colts (11-13 I think) Junior Boys (14-16) and then Youths (16-18) and junior men (18-21) and Seniors (21+). I stopped competing when I went into the Youth category - there can be a big difference between someone that has just turned 16 to an 18 yr old, and I went from always finishing top 3, to 7th and 8th. And these guys were men, whereas I was a skinny drainpipe. It was really disheartening, and I gave up. My 20s were then all about sex, drugs and rock n roll, and fitness only came back into my life properly around aged 30. Now in my 40's, the mid life crisis has crept in and there is still a target to run in a Masters event next summer with the aim 'not to come last'. And just to have fun. Fitness for me now isn't about aesthetic, as it was in my early 30s, or even just about fitness, I need a challenge of sorts. My last one was sub 7 in the 2km indoor row. I did it. Now onto the next!

My first fan memories are from 83 and I remember not understanding why the GDR and USSR tracksuits read DDR and URS. In 86 I was exposed to Drechsler, and she became my obsession for many years. 87 was the first time I purchase Athletics Weekly & Athletics Today. My first real Olympics as a fan was 88, still probably my favourite ever.

Modern technology is great and makes athletes accessible. But in some ways I yearn for the old days when they were enigmatic and Godly. When we had to wait a week for printed results, and we had to search tiny text in the International Results section to find there was some Bulgarian you'd never heard of set a world lead at some random meet in Stara Zagora, or that an old GDR stalwart had been brought out of retirement in Potsdam, 2 weeks before the Olympics.

I love these boards as there is a good mixture of current chat, and reminiscing. At one point, many years ago, they were too US centric, but over the years more non American posters have joined and contributed, and it makes for a better forum.
                    Last edited by Wiederganger; 10-22-2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Is any regular poster under 40? I really hope so but I kind of doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                        I'm Gavin Murgatroyd, deposed rush chairman of the Alpha Beta Chippy frarority (we take all who are willing to join), class of '84.
                        Nice try. I happen to know it's Geoffrey Monmouth, 3rd Viscount of Nebbishton.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Nice try. I happen to know it's Geoffrey Monmouth, 3rd Viscount of Nebbishton.
                          giphy.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

I love that there are many pictures of you on the interweb, so I can see who the d*ckhead is that I am arguing with 😁 I don't know much about the New Zealand First party....centre right?
                            NZ First?
                            Yes, was centre right.
                            Today?
                            Hopefully extinct.

Arguing with you?
                            Don't recall any with you.
                            Your indepth knowledge is too much for me to argue.
                            😂😂😂😂

Several years I used to argue with 26mi235.
                            Sent to naughty boy corner twice by GH for that

Aaronk used to be good for debate when he was at his most passionate a few years ago.

Atticus is always good for debate as I think he is probably even more opinionated than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                              Atticus is always good for debate as I think he is probably even more opinionated than me.
                              I should know better than to argue with someone crazy enough to do a flip LJ!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post
                                Is any regular poster under 40? I really hope so but I kind of doubt it.
                                I'm 47. It's weird, at work I'm in the 95th% in age but around here I bet I'm more like 5th%.
                                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
                                X