Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta (?!)

Facebook ceased to exist today. Now it's Meta. Good luck (semi-sarcasm).

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/28/tech/...nts/index.html

The video was so comical I thought it was a joke. But it is real. Zuckerberg is so bizarre.

Comment

I wish I could tell you this is ironic. But earlier today, irony passed away after a massive cardiac event from which it did not recover.

https://mobile.twitter.com/carolecad...05979443810315

Comment

The facebook app remains.

Comment

Anyone remember when BankAmericard was the parallel card to MasterCard, and then BankAmericard changed their name to a weird ... Visa ? People panned the new name but it's still here 50 years later !

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
            Anyone remember when BankAmericard was the parallel card to MasterCard,
            Blast from the past. I had one, issued in San Franciso in 1971, as a penurious sophomore in college. It had a limit of $500! I'm sure I only qualified because I was in NROTC. Didn't change to Visa till 5 years later.

Comment

Google's parent company is Alphabet. This Facebook move appears to be something similar -- Facebook the social media platform will continue to be called Facebook, while its continued existence is under the umbrella of a parent company with a silly name that most people don't know about.

Comment

I remember individual store credit cards (Sears-Pennys) and oil company cards in the late 50s but I also had some kind of multi-use credit card with a small annual fee. it was a big deal when free cards came out.

Comment

Any one remembers a basketball player formerly known as Ron Artest?

Metta Sandiford-Artest - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Blast from the past. I had one, issued in San Franciso in 1971, as a penurious sophomore in college. It had a limit of $500! I'm sure I only qualified because I was in NROTC. Didn't change to Visa till 5 years later.
                    I never did get one of those credit cards in college but my story of how I got my American Express card is better still. Still have the card today.

November 1975 I qualified for the PGA Tour - I had no credit cards yet so applied for and got a VISA card - no problem. I was now the touring pro at John's Island Club in Vero Beach, Florida, where I had worked for 2 winters after college and the members there were sponsoring me - it was a very exclusive club and mostly the members' second club for the winter. A few weeks after getting thru Q school, I was playing with 3 of the members, one of whom I had not met previously. On the 9th tee he asked me how I was going to pay for things while traveling and I told him I had just gotten a VISA card to use. He then asked me why not American Express, and I had to sheepishly tell him they had rejected me - I had no salary or no guaranteed income.

He then said, "Bill, when we finish playing, give me your full name and address. I'll order you a card tomorrow." I asked him, "How you gonna do that?" He replied, 'I'm the CEO."

It was before FedEx but I had an American Express before the end of the week.

Comment

Dad worked for American Express for decades and when the Amex card came out friends kept asking if he could help them to get one. They were relatively hard to get.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                        He then said, "Bill, when we finish playing, give me your full name and address. I'll order you a card tomorrow." I asked him, "How you gonna do that?" He replied, 'I'm the CEO."
                        HA! Knowing the right people helps.
                        The school I taught at was very expensive and half of the city's rich people sent their kids there (the other half went to our cross-town rival).

Context: My son was in the midst of moving home after college to find a job.

One day, I needed a ride home from a school soccer match I had just coached. The star was a stud striker and his dad offered me a lift.
                        Trying to make small-talk, I told him about my son and he asked what my son did. I told him 'computers' (this was 2001). He said he could use him in his business and he'd give him a job (no interview or resume-reading?). I said that I would get my son in touch with him. Today my son is a Senior Vice President there (probably making three times my top salary). The dad was the President of Citicards, all of Ciitigroup's credit cards.

Comment

That is great.

Comment

Working...
                          X