Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brave New World, Etc

This is the current buzz topic concerning my alma mater, UCSB: Dormzilla!!!
    The geniuses who now run the campus are going forward with a proposed 11-story dorm with tiny windowless single student rooms arranged into "houses" of 8 students who would share one bathroom. Total of 4,500 kids in one dorm. Linked article below says it would be the largest dorm on earth (whooppee!!) It's a vanity project of Warren Buffet's nearly 100-year old right hand man.He designed it (not an architect) and is donating $200 million to kickstart it... UC will have to ante up the remaining billion-plus bucks :-)
    The old dude says the tiny rooms will encourage students to gather in common areas enclosed in the middle of the building to "interact and collaborate"... apparently he doesn't think UCSB students have much of a social life :-)
    https://www.independent.com/2021/10/...csb-mega-dorm/

All you need is wifi, electricity and a bed . . .

Comment

I would not like to be in a windowless building with 4500 people, with or without electricity and wifi. And, eight people with one bathroom is about seven too many.

Comment

even prisons have windows

Comment

Getting the permits for an 11-story building from both the Santa Barbara County supervisors AND the California Coastal Commission (UCSB campus is on the ocean) could prove daunting. But maybe Nebraska billions can overcome California ideals.
          Still, I think this plan would be more acceptable for Cal State-Bakersfield.
          J Rorick
          Last edited by J Rorick; 10-30-2021, 06:15 AM.

Comment

When I was in college in Southern Illinois and living in the dorms the only time I spent there was sleeping. Rest of the day running, eating and studying in the library.. And I had a single one year.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
              This is the current buzz topic concerning my alma mater, UCSB: Dormzilla!!!
              The geniuses who now run the campus are going forward with a proposed 11-story dorm with tiny windowless single student rooms arranged into "houses" of 8 students who would share one bathroom. Total of 4,500 kids in one dorm. Linked article below says it would be the largest dorm on earth (whooppee!!) It's a vanity project of Warren Buffet's nearly 100-year old right hand man.He designed it (not an architect) and is donating $200 million to kickstart it... UC will have to ante up the remaining billion-plus bucks :-)
              The old dude says the tiny rooms will encourage students to gather in common areas enclosed in the middle of the building to "interact and collaborate"... apparently he doesn't think UCSB students have much of a social life :-)
              https://www.independent.com/2021/10/...csb-mega-dorm/
              Horrible idea! It will encourage further isolation. When fire stations transitioned from open dorms to individual dorms we experienced a sharp decline in comradery and "family" time. Guys go to their rooms and watch tv or goof off on their phones. I for one did not allow a TV in my room, and I share it with young guys on other shifts who share that desire.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
              X