Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 College Basketball

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I was pissed watching ESPN FUBAR it, I imagine Duke fans were livid. I can’t recall a college hoops first game of a doubleheader that didn’t run over into the second game.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by DrJay View Post
      I was pissed watching ESPN FUBAR it, I imagine Duke fans were livid. I can’t recall a college hoops first game of a doubleheader that didn’t run over into the second game.
      I watched ESPN all day and nite because of the day it was, starting with College Game Day at 1000. The Purdue-Indiana game was the really ridiculous one. I bet the last 5 minutes of that game took 45 minutes to play. The refs kept going to the monitors to review plays and spent several minutes there each time. Add in the mandatory coaching timeouts every other play and the free throws and it just dragged on and on.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

        ESPN spent a good part of the last month promoting Coach K's last game including Gameday from Cameron and numerous references to various forms of "what's it going to be like when he walks out on the court for the last time and we'll be there to cover it". Much was made of the returning former players showing up to greet him prior to the game.

        So what happens?

        The Kansas/Texas game is right before it and I thought to myself that they are cutting it close with that game leading right into the Duke/NC game. Sure enough, as college basketball games can sometimes devolve into...we had officials reviews of too many plays and then...overtime! This pushed ESPN to show the ceremony at Duke in a little box with no sound while the Kansas game was occurring. The odd thing is they never switched the Duke game to one of the other ESPN platforms until after the tipoff although it was available on either the app or ESPN+. Anyone without those didn't get to see it.

        It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if ESPN didn't spend all the time they did promoting it and then not showing it. It was a fairly predictable situation that could have been avoided.

        That said....the Kansas/Texas game was a great game.
        Thanks for the info. I was on the road when the game started so I caught the first half on the radio and the second half on ESPN not knowing what happened earlier. You're right, they did promote the hell out if it over the last month, and I caught Coach K on PTI on Friday. You would think that this game would have been worthy of moving to ABC like they do for their weekly showcase college football games, which would have eliminated the possibility of a run-over.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by DrJay View Post
          Sucks to lose like that but have some class:

          https://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/...259110913.html
          Kryzyzewski’s “handshake” with Hubert Davis wasnt exactly warm and fuzzy either. Normally head coaches stop and share a few words. Not last night lol.
          There are no strings on me

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

            The Kansas-Texas game ran long and then went into overtime. Typical college basketball game - 2 minutes left, so you know it will take another 30 minutes to finish the game.
            Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

            The Purdue-Indiana game was the really ridiculous one. I bet the last 5 minutes of that game took 45 minutes to play. The refs kept going to the monitors to review plays and spent several minutes there each time. Add in the mandatory coaching timeouts every other play and the free throws and it just dragged on and on.
            Reminds me of something Dan Jenkins wrote back in the 80s. He had previously sworn off pro basketball, but was persuaded to give it another try. His report on the experience began something like this: "During the first two hours of the last 23 seconds of the game..."

            Comment


            • #51
              There needs to be a time clock on official reviews. If you cant make a decision within one minute the call on the court stands.
              There are no strings on me

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

                Reminds me of something Dan Jenkins wrote back in the 80s. He had previously sworn off pro basketball, but was persuaded to give it another try. His report on the experience began something like this: "During the first two hours of the last 23 seconds of the game..."
                Found it. Corrected quote:

                I was determined to watch the entire game, though I knew what that would mean. It would mean watching the first two hours that lead up to the real game, which is the last 23 seconds, and it would then mean watching the two hours that it takes to play the last 23 seconds.
                Source: Playboy, Volume 35, Number 6, June 1988, Sports, Dan Jenkins, "Hoop-de-doo".

                Comment


                • #53
                  I have 2 questions about the Duke/NC game:

                  Was there an intro of all the former Duke players, out on the court, before the game ? The post-game ceremonies were fully covered on ESPN but as we all saw ( or did not see! )anything pregame and the initial minutes of the game were preempted by the prior game's OT.

                  Just as the post-game stuff was going to start, K grabbed the mike and talked briefly of something being "unacceptable." Was he criticizing the fans for some poor behavior, or was he criticizing his team's performance ? The sound was not good at first and I missed the very start of his remarks.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                    I have 2 questions about the Duke/NC game:

                    Was there an intro of all the former Duke players, out on the court, before the game ? The post-game ceremonies were fully covered on ESPN but as we all saw ( or did not see! )anything pregame and the initial minutes of the game were preempted by the prior game's OT.

                    Just as the post-game stuff was going to start, K grabbed the mike and talked briefly of something being "unacceptable." Was he criticizing the fans for some poor behavior, or was he criticizing his team's performance ? The sound was not good at first and I missed the very start of his remarks.
                    I don't think they introduced each player (there was something like 96 of them) but we'll never know since ESPN didn't show it after promoting it for a month.

                    The post game began with Coach K grabbing the Mike and improvising. He even said "this isn't supposed to be part of the program" as the video they were going to show actually started and then was very quickly stopped to let him speak. He was clearly, to me, referring to his team's performance in the game.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                      I have 2 questions about the Duke/NC game:

                      Was there an intro of all the former Duke players, out on the court, before the game ? The post-game ceremonies were fully covered on ESPN but as we all saw ( or did not see! )anything pregame and the initial minutes of the game were preempted by the prior game's OT.

                      Just as the post-game stuff was going to start, K grabbed the mike and talked briefly of something being "unacceptable." Was he criticizing the fans for some poor behavior, or was he criticizing his team's performance ? The sound was not good at first and I missed the very start of his remarks.
                      He said the team's performance was unacceptable. Carolina scored 55 points in the second half. One of the worst defensive performances I've ever seen from a Duke team - or just an incredible Carolina offensive performance. We just couldn't stop them. We didn't play that poorly offensively but when the other team scores on every possession its hard to win.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Juwan Howard should not receive any further suspension for his punching a player. He should be fired because he sucks as a coach!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                          Not a good look for Coach Howard. Can't have the coach start the fights. Particularly based on the bs reason for it. No hint at remorse for such action after the game. Not the first time he's done this. Probably should say goodbye.

                          https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...assistant-loss
                          I will give Coach Howard his coaching card back after yesterday.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Here, I'll get this on the proper thread...."Holy moly! That was one of the most exhausting Carolina games I’ve ever watched."

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              This tournament has been insane! My bracket is barely on life support, at this point. The fact that St. Peters, a school with a smaller student population than my kids' high school, is rolling (over the entire state of Kentucky......) is amazing. This parity is definitely showing itself, this month.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                                This tournament has been insane! My bracket is barely on life support, at this point. The fact that St. Peters, a school with a smaller student population than my kids' high school, is rolling (over the entire state of Kentucky......) is amazing. This parity is definitely showing itself, this month.
                                So much fun! Yeah, my bracket is mostly inanimate meat. But it's fun!

                                Feel weird rooting for Coach K.
                                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X