X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    It's occurred to me that college basketball doesn't have as many iconic rivalries as college football, at least not that I can think of. Besides Duke-North Carolina and Kentucky-Louisville, what other rivalries are there?
    Wisconsin-Marquette is not too bad.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by donley2 View Post

I would possibly offer up Kansas vs Kansas State, but it has been so lopsided over the last 30 years or more it is hard to really say it belongs.
    Yeah, that's not a rivalry that's most folks are aware of outside the state of Kansas. Even Indiana-Purdue is a reach since Purdue has never won a national title and has only been to 2 Final Fours on its history, though I'm sure they've had many epic battles for the conference championship.

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    It's occurred to me that college basketball doesn't have as many iconic rivalries as college football, at least not that I can think of. Besides Duke-North Carolina and Kentucky-Louisville, what other rivalries are there?
    I would possibly offer up Kansas vs Kansas State, but it has been so lopsided over the last 30 years or more it is hard to really say it belongs.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied

Indiana - Purdue .

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    bambam or Steve, any idea if the two have ever been seeded in the same region in the last 40 years?
    If I'm reading this correctly it is once...in 2004. Good article as to why:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-duke-no...200846780.html

Leave a comment:

• midwestfan
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Regardless of the outcome, an excellent first season for Hubert Davis! Really wish we had Brady Manek for another year.
    You can't say that Coach Davis landed as a new coach for one year. He played or was an assistant under Roy Williams for 323 games over13 yers and was in 2 Final Four situations and 1 NCAA Championship with Roy Williams. Don't think he is getting some off camera help and assistance from Coach Williams somehow/somewhere. UNC has 18 players on roster and only 3 are Freshman, the rest have played under Roy Williams with Coach Davis in the huddle.

Coach K has only 15 men on roster with 5 Freshman never being with Coach K until this year.

Nova has 14 on their roster with 4 Freshman and 4 graduated seniors and 2/14 out of the line up with injuries.

Kansas has 23 on roster with 5 "Super Seniors", 3 juniors and 2 seniors all very experienced under Coach Self (only 4 Freshman)

LET the Better Coach's experience and style win.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    bambam or Steve, any idea if the two have ever been seeded in the same region in the last 40 years?

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    A friend of mine found this in a 1995 Sports Illustrated article, I do not have the link:

The two schools have never met in an NCAA championship game, although it is bound to happen one of these days. [Dean] Smith is on record as saying he would not mind such a match up but Krzyzewski--could he possibly do anything else?--disagrees. He recounts how once, after a North Carolina victory over Duke, a gang of students followed his eldest daughter, Debbie, through the halls of her junior high school in Durham, bumping and taunting her to tears. Even teachers joined in, writing "Go Heels!" in the margins of papers before returning them to her. "I can live with losing to any school," Krzyzewski says. "But what would happen in this area peoplewise if one of us beat the other in the championship game I would not wish on anybody, it would be so horrible."

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Duke and UNC both got to the Final 4 only once before, in 1991, here in Indy. UNC lost to Kansas in the first game, then Duke pulled off the upset of the decade, beating undefeated UNLV.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    This game is the best of the tournament, and could be the best of the year. Two traditional rivals, just a bit of fireworks between them this season. UNC has been playing out of their minds lately, but I would never count out Duke in this year.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    It's pretty amazing that they've never met in the tournament considering the fact that Louisville and Kentucky have met 6 times in the NCAA tournament. Also, note that Coach K is 50-49 against the Tarheels, so this game will decide whether he goes out with a winning record against them.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Regardless of the outcome, an excellent first season for Hubert Davis! Really wish we had Brady Manek for another year.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Then I'll quote you something I once heard K say to the team on the bus coming back from the Elite Eight in 1989 - he was telling them to get some rest in the next 2 days - he was giving them 2 days off before resuming practice and leaving for Seattle for the Final 4. He told not to fool around and party - if they did he would hear about, he said, and then "If you don't think they taught me to kill up at West Point, just try me!"
    Ha! And I agree, this about as blue blood a Final Four I can recall. Villanova is a Junior Blue Blood for sure.

For those who have only a passing interest, know that UNC and Duke have never met in the NCAA tourney. Yet UNC has played Arkansas six times since 1990. I suspect UNC and Duke may never have been placed in the same region, don't know for sure, so could only meet if they both won out to the Final Four. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Duke. ;-(

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Absolutely, we will - one way or the other. But of course, Duke is gonna win 😁
    I'll second that emotion !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X