X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

Reminds me of something Dan Jenkins wrote back in the 80s. He had previously sworn off pro basketball, but was persuaded to give it another try. His report on the experience began something like this: "During the first two hours of the last 23 seconds of the game..."
    Found it. Corrected quote:

I was determined to watch the entire game, though I knew what that would mean. It would mean watching the first two hours that lead up to the real game, which is the last 23 seconds, and it would then mean watching the two hours that it takes to play the last 23 seconds.
    Source: Playboy, Volume 35, Number 6, June 1988, Sports, Dan Jenkins, "Hoop-de-doo".

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    There needs to be a time clock on official reviews. If you cant make a decision within one minute the call on the court stands.

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

The Kansas-Texas game ran long and then went into overtime. Typical college basketball game - 2 minutes left, so you know it will take another 30 minutes to finish the game.
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

The Purdue-Indiana game was the really ridiculous one. I bet the last 5 minutes of that game took 45 minutes to play. The refs kept going to the monitors to review plays and spent several minutes there each time. Add in the mandatory coaching timeouts every other play and the free throws and it just dragged on and on.
    Reminds me of something Dan Jenkins wrote back in the 80s. He had previously sworn off pro basketball, but was persuaded to give it another try. His report on the experience began something like this: "During the first two hours of the last 23 seconds of the game..."

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Sucks to lose like that but have some class:

https://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/...259110913.html
    Kryzyzewski’s “handshake” with Hubert Davis wasnt exactly warm and fuzzy either. Normally head coaches stop and share a few words. Not last night lol.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

ESPN spent a good part of the last month promoting Coach K's last game including Gameday from Cameron and numerous references to various forms of "what's it going to be like when he walks out on the court for the last time and we'll be there to cover it". Much was made of the returning former players showing up to greet him prior to the game.

So what happens?

The Kansas/Texas game is right before it and I thought to myself that they are cutting it close with that game leading right into the Duke/NC game. Sure enough, as college basketball games can sometimes devolve into...we had officials reviews of too many plays and then...overtime! This pushed ESPN to show the ceremony at Duke in a little box with no sound while the Kansas game was occurring. The odd thing is they never switched the Duke game to one of the other ESPN platforms until after the tipoff although it was available on either the app or ESPN+. Anyone without those didn't get to see it.

It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if ESPN didn't spend all the time they did promoting it and then not showing it. It was a fairly predictable situation that could have been avoided.

That said....the Kansas/Texas game was a great game.
    Thanks for the info. I was on the road when the game started so I caught the first half on the radio and the second half on ESPN not knowing what happened earlier. You're right, they did promote the hell out if it over the last month, and I caught Coach K on PTI on Friday. You would think that this game would have been worthy of moving to ABC like they do for their weekly showcase college football games, which would have eliminated the possibility of a run-over.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    I was pissed watching ESPN FUBAR it, I imagine Duke fans were livid. I can’t recall a college hoops first game of a doubleheader that didn’t run over into the second game.
    I watched ESPN all day and nite because of the day it was, starting with College Game Day at 1000. The Purdue-Indiana game was the really ridiculous one. I bet the last 5 minutes of that game took 45 minutes to play. The refs kept going to the monitors to review plays and spent several minutes there each time. Add in the mandatory coaching timeouts every other play and the free throws and it just dragged on and on.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    I was pissed watching ESPN FUBAR it, I imagine Duke fans were livid. I can’t recall a college hoops first game of a doubleheader that didn’t run over into the second game.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    What happened?
    The Kansas-Texas game ran long and then went into overtime. Typical college basketball game - 2 minutes left, so you know it will take another 30 minutes to finish the game.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

What happened?
    ESPN spent a good part of the last month promoting Coach K's last game including Gameday from Cameron and numerous references to various forms of "what's it going to be like when he walks out on the court for the last time and we'll be there to cover it". Much was made of the returning former players showing up to greet him prior to the game.

So what happens?

The Kansas/Texas game is right before it and I thought to myself that they are cutting it close with that game leading right into the Duke/NC game. Sure enough, as college basketball games can sometimes devolve into...we had officials reviews of too many plays and then...overtime! This pushed ESPN to show the ceremony at Duke in a little box with no sound while the Kansas game was occurring. The odd thing is they never switched the Duke game to one of the other ESPN platforms until after the tipoff although it was available on either the app or ESPN+. Anyone without those didn't get to see it.

It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if ESPN didn't spend all the time they did promoting it and then not showing it. It was a fairly predictable situation that could have been avoided.

That said....the Kansas/Texas game was a great game.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    ESPN pulling a bit of a "Heidi game" on the Coach K festivities.
    What happened?

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Sucks to lose like that but have some class:

https://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/...259110913.html

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    ...the Coach K festivities.

Think North Carolina didnt want this game bad? They didnt sub in the 2nd half. At all.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    ESPN pulling a bit of a "Heidi game" on the Coach K festivities.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    The transfer portal has made things a lot more level at the top.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Paper this morning noted that last Saturday was the first time in the history of the AP Poll that the top 6 teams all lost on the same day.
    And 7 of the top 10

Leave a comment:

Working...
X