Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it Rains, it Pours...

I never knew the reason behind that slogan until today.

https://historydaily.org/history-mor...-girl-umbrella

I’m so old that I remember when rice was added to salt shakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Django View Post
      I’m so old that I remember when rice was added to salt shakers!
      must depend on where you live; I'd still consider that a common occurence

Comment

I never heard of anyone doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

must depend on where you live; I'd still consider that a common occurence
          Yep. We have it at many restaurants around these parts.

Comment

When I was a little boy, I lived in humid New Jersey. Now, I live in Reno, where the air is dry, and there’s rarely any need for adding rice to the salt!

Comment

I vaguely remember some places here in the UK having a dried pea in the salt shaker when I was young. Don't seem to see it any more perhaps because many places use small paper sachets.

Comment

I've seen the rice in salt many times many places. Especially the closer you get to the Gulf.
                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Haven’t used a salt shaker in years. Feels classier to use a grinder (and it has the benefit of matching the pepper mill). Morton can sell you refills of coarse sea salt the proper size for your grinder, of course.

as for the slogan, I think I learned that fact some years back while falling down a google rabbit hole after just realizing that the Morton Salt name comes from the same guy who founded the Morton Arboretum (passed by that big building by the river and was like, oh yeah, that’s a Chicago company, duh…). Apparently the high school in Cicero is named for his father. Not sure if there’s any connection to the pumpkin capital of the world (in central IL where I’ve actually competed at for track meets) but that name probably has a different origin.

Comment

Fun reading. Especially enjoyed the time line of the girl with an umbrella art work over decades.
                    Yeah, some branches of my family routinely added rice to the salt shaker to absorb moisture.
                    Two things I noticed.... I didn't find any reference to iodized salt. My family was always careful to buy only iodized salt as a preventative measure because way in back days of my youth disfiguring goiters were fairly common place.
                    Then, too, in the bio of the author we discover that she owns a goat named Atticus!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
                      Haven’t used a salt shaker in years. Feels classier to use a grinder (and it has the benefit of matching the pepper mill). Morton can sell you refills of coarse sea salt the proper size for your grinder, of course.

as for the slogan, I think I learned that fact some years back while falling down a google rabbit hole after just realizing that the Morton Salt name comes from the same guy who founded the Morton Arboretum (passed by that big building by the river and was like, oh yeah, that’s a Chicago company, duh…). Apparently the high school in Cicero is named for his father. Not sure if there’s any connection to the pumpkin capital of the world (in central IL where I’ve actually competed at for track meets) but that name probably has a different origin.
                      From Nebraska, created Arbor Day. I belonged to the Morton Arboretum for many years. Lovely place. Lots of wood chips trails. Unfortunately a few high school cross country teams, like York, would train on them. It got so bad they banned running on the trails.

My only cross country win in high school was against Morton East High School.

Comment

They closed the Chicago plant in 2015..

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...mgi-story.html

Comment

Chicago gets very humid and we never had any problems with salt ...or used rice.

Comment

Not about the salt, it's about those shakers, some very cool shakers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGpvnvBDSmyEFO3qYRlhjf_518N8R_5hnjwQ&usqp=CAU.jpg
                            Last edited by Alcyallen; 11-20-2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

A bit off topic, but the subject line reminded me of a joke, apparently said by Groucho Marx to the mayor of a certain city in the South Bay area of L.A.

"When it rains in Los Angeles, it comes down in Torrance."

Comment

Working...
                              X