Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies 2022

I feel like I'm writing an obituary for someone who is on life-support . . . but movie-theater movies (as opposed to the streaming kind) have long (100+ years) occupied a central position in American (World!) culture, like pop music, pro sports, and TV. The death knells have been ringing increasingly loudly since the pandemic started in March 2020. The box office has been understandingly anemic and Hollywood has been hesitant in greenlighting the tentpole, big-budget films.

Today, therefore, is a red-letter day. The first $BILLION movie released in the past 21 months has arrived. It's a Marvel one, of course, but Spider-Man: No Way Home has much to commend it, chief among which is its meta/recursive/self-referential motif (not unlike the new Matrix motive, which is all that to the max - are we sensing a trend?).

Perhaps my oft-expressed misgivings toward the genre are premature?

And, 2022 will mark the 50th Anniversary re-release of the greatest movie ever made: The Godfather!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
      And, 2022 will mark the 50th Anniversary re-release of the greatest over-rated movie ever made: The Godfather!!
      FIFY.

Comment

Maybe because I have never read a comic book I have zero interest in movies based on fictitious characters.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
          Maybe because I have never read a comic book I have zero interest in movies based on fictitious characters.
          I have read many comic books, however, I too cannot stand those movies based on comic books. The only exception would be Batman (1989) with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

Comment

There goes Shakespeare, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Austen, Bronte(s), Dumas, yada, yada...

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

FIFY.
              very classy how the someone can and does change what someone says....junk site!!
              Last edited by SoCal45; 12-27-2021, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I've seen: Belfast. Quite good, but basic story about a family. James Bond, No Time To Die, car chases galore. Both in the Theater. Saw Power Of The Dog, on Netflix, will get an Oscar nomination, slow but intense. Will watch Maggie Gyllenhaal's Directorial Debut this Friday on Netflix: "The Lost Daughter," with one of my favorite actresses Olivia Coleman.
                Plan to see "Liquid Pizza" in Theater this week. Would like to see "West Side Story" but wife hates musicals.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                  Plan to see "Liquid Pizza" in Theater this week.
                  Licorice Pizza? I can't tell if that's any good. Lemme know what you think.

Comment

Does your bias stretch into literature also? My brother is a social scientist and tries to avoid reading fiction, and as far as I know generally avoids fiction movies also. He feels there is too much non fiction that he would rather spend his time on. I do not agree with him.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

There goes Shakespeare, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Austen, Bronte(s), Dumas, yada, yada...
                      Not necessarily, I have actually read all of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S View Post
                        Does your bias stretch into literature also? My brother is a social scientist and tries to avoid reading fiction, and as far as I know generally avoids fiction movies also. He feels there is too much nonfiction that he would rather spend his time on. I do not agree with him.
                        I am not biased against comic books. When I was comic book age in the 1930s, comic books were a rarity in rural SW Oklahoma. In the 90 year interim, I have accumulated (and read) a personal library of a couple of thousand books on virtually every conceivable subject, with, on reflection, the possible exception of science fiction. I saw some of the Star War movies but was never a Trekkie. Hmmm???..there may be a trend there.

Comment

Just finished “Don’t Look Up“ on Netflix. Brilliant and hilarious but also sobering. Modern day Dr. Strangelove.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                            Just finished “Don’t Look Up“ on Netflix. Brilliant and hilarious but also sobering. Modern day Dr. Strangelove.
                            It sure looked like a vanity project to me. DiCaprio and Lawrence and Blanchett and Chalamet and Ariana and Streep were too busy hamming it up and eating scenery to take it as anything but camp.

Comment

Camp is not necessarily bad or irrelevant... Dr. Strangelove is a prime example.

Comment

Working...
                              X