Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end of Blackberry phones

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The end of Blackberry phones

    Blackberry announced it is ending support for all Blackberry phones. The company continues with other product lines.

    I did not have a cellular phone when I married but my bride did. I got one about Y2K and it was handy on 9/11. Sometime about 2007-08, my wife and I got Blackberries and loved them. Now I could check and do email and get on the internet without getting on my desk computers.

    The introduction of the iPhone signaled the beginning of the end for the Blackberry phones. The iPhone had more bells and whistles: cameras, calculators, compasses, and zillions of apps. Still, the BlackBerry phones hung around for a while and were popular in some parts of the world, notably the Caribbean. My company went all-iPhone in 2011 which is when I converted.

    I will always be fond of my Backberry phone which was a forerunner of the current smartphones. Let us toast them -soon to be gone but not forgotten.

  • #2
    i still miss my Nokia flip phone

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gh View Post
      i still miss my Nokia flip phone
      Someone gave me a smartphone a few years ago but I still carry my flip phone in my glove box.

      Comment


      • #4
        I miss physical keyboards. Virtual keyboards suck. RIP Blackberry.

        Comment


        • #5
          [QUOTE=gm;n1733951]I miss physical keyboards. Virtual keyboards suck. RIP Blackberry.[/QUOTnE]
          Amen. I was one of the last bberry users and, in fact, until very recently, still kept mine on my night table as an alarm clock. Much louder than the one on my iPhone.

          Comment


          • #6
            I remember being on a trip to, I think, an Under 20 Champs (Worlds or Euros) in the 2000s and one of our group had one. I was very impressed when he was able to use it to resolve a query about a 60s sprinter whose name some coaches couldn't think of.

            Comment


            • #7
              Android is what killed Blackberry. iPhone is in the luxury market segment, which didn't have that much of an effect on the cheaper Blackberry models, which made up most of BB's sales globally. The flood of sub-$100 Android phones around the world is what destroyed Blackberry's global market share.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                Android is what killed Blackberry. iPhone is in the luxury market segment, which didn't have that much of an effect on the cheaper Blackberry models, which made up most of BB's sales globally. The flood of sub-$100 Android phones around the world is what destroyed Blackberry's global market share.
                I recall it a bit differently. When iPhone was introduced, Blackberry ruled the luxury market segment, and was seen in the hands of the elites of corporations, government (Obama) and entertainment/popular culture (Kardashian). The iPhone App store (and Blackberry's slowness to react to it) started a very swift erosion of their market share.

                Die hard Blackberry users (a group which included me) tried hard to resist the iPhone. The rise of Android phones gave such users a different path out and indeed took whatever remaining market share existed after iPhone became dominant.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

                  I recall it a bit differently. When iPhone was introduced, Blackberry ruled the luxury market segment, and was seen in the hands of the elites of corporations, government (Obama) and entertainment/popular culture (Kardashian). The iPhone App store (and Blackberry's slowness to react to it) started a very swift erosion of their market share.
                  What you're saying is true of the US market. But outside the US and UK, the cheaper BB models were dominant in most of the rest of the world. Cheap Androids took away that global market share.
                  Last edited by 18.99s; 01-07-2022, 02:29 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

                    What you're saying is true of the US market. But outside the US and UK, the cheaper BB models were dominant in most of the rest of the world. Cheap Androids took away that global market share.
                    Yes, in the UK, I associated Blackberrys with business people and other professionals who presumably had upmarket models. The person I mentioned in my earlier post was a lawyer, for example.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X