Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Winter Olympics

We're a month out now and a new player in sports data-management has arrived with a prediction of the medal table: Gracenote:

VMT-Olympics2022-1-10-010422.png

I will be interested to see if they can do individual event picks too - and for summer.

Gracenote is hardly new, Atticus. They've been around since about 2000 - their original name was Infostrada, which was a much more appropriate name.

Comment

Gracenote has been around since 1993. They acquired Infostrada Sports in 2015. Part of an expansion from music data into video and sports data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracenote

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
        Gracenote has been around since 1993. They acquired Infostrada Sports in 2015. Part of an expansion from music data into video and sports data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracenote
        Yes, but the Gracenote sports statistics section is just Infostrada renamed as a division of Gracenote. I don't think Infostrada was around in 1993, but not really certain when they started. I had some discussion with them in the early 2000s about working with them but it never went anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Yes, but the Gracenote sports statistics section is just Infostrada renamed as a division of Gracenote.
          Where did I write that it wasn't?

Comment

Gracenote is hardly new, Atticus. They've been around since about 2000 - their original name was Infostrada, which was a much more appropriate name.
            My bad; their twitter feed sure made it sound new and exciting!

Comment

Yes, but the Gracenote sports statistics section is just Infostrada renamed as a division of Gracenote. I don't think Infostrada was around in 1993, but not really certain when they started.
              From a little poking around the web, it appears that Infostrada Sports, a Dutch company, was founded in 1995.

From the wiki link referenced above, Gracenote was acquired by Sony in 2005, who sold it to Tribune Media in 2014.

In early 2017, (after it acquired Infostrada Sports), Gracenote was sold by Tribune Media to Nielsen Holdings, which explains why, in the medal table pictured in the OP, the Gracenote logo includes the words "A Nielsen Company."
              Last edited by wamego relays champ; 01-07-2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

American skater gives Olympic spot to friend (yahoo.com)

Erin Jackson, ranked #1 in the world, slipped in the trial and finished 3rd.
                But her teammate Brittaney Bowe qualified for three races, so she gave up her spot in 500m to Jackson.

Comment

With all due respect to Kara Lawson, the USA Basketball team might have a strong contender for the "toughest team to make" claim.

Elizabeta Tuktamysheva, the reigning World silver medalist, will not make the Olympic team, in spite of not losing to a non-Russian skater all season. She was 2nd behind Valieva (the newly crowned European champion) in two GP events this season. She finished 7th in the Russian Nationals behind Valieva, Trusova (the World bronze medalist last year) and Scherbakova (the reigning World champion), and three junior skaters who are too young to compete in the Olympics.

But she is not alone. Kostornaia (2020 European champion), Khromykh (2nd to Scherbakova in one GP and 3rd to Valieva and Tuktamysheva in another), Usachova (2nd to Trusova in GP) have not lost to any non-Russian skater this season, either. Every one of them could have won a medal in Beijing, and they have all beaten every non-Russian contender from Europe, Japan and the US.

Comment

Beijing to offer Olympic tickets to 'selected' spectators (yahoo.com)

Only “selected” spectators will be permitted at next month's Beijing Olympics because of the coronavirus pandemic, organizers said Monday.

Beijing had already announced that no fans from outside the country would be permitted at the events, and had not offered tickets to the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                      American skater gives Olympic spot to friend (yahoo.com)

Erin Jackson, ranked #1 in the world, slipped in the trial and finished 3rd.
                      But her teammate Brittaney Bowe qualified for three races, so she gave up her spot in 500m to Jackson.
                      I've met both of them at inline skate races. They're good people. Bowe's the best in the world at 1000m and a favorite to medal at 1500 as well. But her chances of getting a medal in the 500 were very slim. Her best finish in a 500m World Cup this year is 8th. It is a shame Bowe had to lose the opportunity to race on the Olympic stage. Jackson is a solid medal favorite at 500.

Comment

NBC won't send sports announcing teams to 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing due to COVID-19

https://sports.yahoo.com/nbc-wont-se...230628385.html

“The announce teams for these Olympics, including figure skating, will be calling events from our Stamford (Conn.) facility due to COVID concerns,” Greg Hughes, senior vice president communications, NBC Sports, said in a phone interview.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                          “The announce teams for these Olympics, including figure skating, will be calling events from our Stamford (Conn.) facility
                          This happens a lot in T&F and usually the announcers have to, at some point, say, 'sorry folks, but we're seeing the same feed you are, and we have no idea what just happened.'

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            This happens a lot in T&F and usually the announcers have to, at some point, say, 'sorry folks, but we're seeing the same feed you are, and we have no idea what just happened.'
                            For the Olympics, I guarantee they will not be seeing only the same feed as the TV viewers. As the main broadcasting rights holder (in terms of $) they will certainly receive the OBS (Olympic Broadcasting Services) feeds as well as their own camera feeds that they show the spectators. The OBS feeds are what we see in the MPC (Main Press Centre) and IBC (International Broadcast Centre), and what I end up seeing while working at the Games. The only time I have seen an NBC broadcast in this millennium were 2018 PyeongChang when I had my stroke and came home early, and 2002 Salt Lake City, when I went back to my hotel during the Games. All we see are the OBS feeds which have multiple views and cover every sport extensively.

There will be a pop quiz on all the acronyms later this week.

Comment

2012 LJ champ Greg Rutherford has been unsuccessful in his bid to make Beijing as the GB's number 2 4-man bob failed to qualify.

Meanwhile Montell Douglas, who went to Beijing in 2008 as a sprinter, will become the first British woman to compete at both the Summer and Winter Olympics as GB's brakewoman.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/60058136
                              Last edited by Trickstat; 01-21-2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X