This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWalsh View Post
    There are so many more issues involved in solving the gun violence problems in this country. Improving the way we treat mental illness, vigorously enforcing existing laws on the books, red flag gun purchase laws, and putting an end to the revolving door criminal justice system that exists in so many cities including my own. Every side will have to give in on something. And I would hope that everyone could put politics aside for the sake of our children and make progress in solving this problem!
    The last part just isn't going to happen. Too much money involved. The rest of your post is what I alluded to in my post above. It is a multi issue problem that no one who can do so really wants to solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Most polls show that Americans don't get it either. To be clear the 2nd Amendment does NOT guarantee the right for all citizens to bear arms; it guarantees the right of a duly constituted militia to bear arms. We call that the National Guard and we issue them the guns they need.
      I guess you never heard of D.C. v. Heller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distri...mbia_v._Heller

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I guess you never heard of D.C. v. Heller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distri...mbia_v._Heller
        JC, I am guessing you do know the High Court sometimes makes a bad decision, ie. dead wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG View Post

JC, I am guessing you do know the High Court sometimes makes a bad decision, ie. dead wrong.
          Especially when they represent about 20% of America.

Comment

That's irrelevant. All that matters is that the SCOTUS is the final arbiter of what the Constitution says, and it can only be overruled by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post

Especially when they represent about 20% of America.
              I'm not sure what that means or how it's relevant.

Comment

I'm not sure what that means or how it's relevant.
                Perhaps it's irrelevant to you because I was speaking to someone else.

Comment

I guess you never heard of D.C. v. Heller. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distri...mbia_v._Heller
                  That was purely political with not a scintilla of actual linguistic understanding.

Comment

That's irrelevant. All that matters is that the SCOTUS is the final arbiter of what the Constitution says, and it can only be overruled by itself.
                    irrelevant? Previous High Courts have had different interpretation of the written Constitution, a document I have not
                    found to be infallible, and the second amendment. The Court has ruled that no one has a right to own a machine gun,
                    M-60, or any other brand. It is plain insanity not to see that AR models are nothing but a machine gun by another name.

Until recently, precedence has been considered extremely relevant to the High Court.

Comment

irrelevant? Previous High Courts have had different interpretation of the written Constitution, a document I have not
                      found to be infallible, and the second amendment. The Court has ruled that no one has a right to own a machine gun,
                      M-60, or any other brand. It is plain insanity not to see that AR models are nothing but a machine gun by another name.

Until recently, precedence has been considered extremely relevant to the High Court.

The SCOTUS has never weighed in on machine guns or made a list of weapons that people are allowed to own, Congress does that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Comment

Responsible gun owners should be lobbying hard to protect their rights against extremists and abusers and want reasonable background checks along with requisite permits and a purchase cooling off period (minimum 2 weeks). Training should be mandatory along with yearly permit renewal requirements. This would be A START. I am not interested in taking away existing legal hand guns or long rifles. Get rid of the automatic or semi -automatic killing machines only meant for one sole purpose (i.e. killing as many humans as possible).

A buddy who lives in Florida told me about a co-worker who is a gun collector. He owns 75 fire arms. Most of them were not "collectors" items. NO ONE NEEDS 75 OF ANYTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          That was purely political with not a scintilla of actual linguistic understanding.
                          In theory the Constitution is words on a document that were written over 200 years ago. In reality, the SCOTUS IS the de facto Constitution.

Comment

The current make up of the Supreme Court is courtesy of Federalist Society VP Leonard Leo, who gave us John Roberts, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett...the last three justices trump simply signed off on based on campaign promises to that organization. Include Clarence Thomas and you have six justices who reflect conservative christianity and powerful well moneyed corporate organizations(the NRA included) This current SCOTUS will never support gun control no matter how many people are murdered and are not representative of what most Americans desperately desire.

Comment

In theory the Constitution is words on a document that were written over 200 years ago. In reality, the SCOTUS IS the de facto Constitution.
                              And which High Court amended the Constitution 27 times?

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi...25&context=lcp

Comment

and thus endeth the lesson

Comment

Working...
                                X