X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCLA and USC move to Big Ten!

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...pacts-cfp-more
    I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

It's the end of the world as we know it !!!

Comment

It will be strange seeing their track teams in the Midwest.

Comment

Hate to sound so fuddy-duddy on this, but it's horrifying to me. It's the world we live in, though, driven by money in football. It's going to suck for most of the non-revenue sports.

Comment

I agree with you, steveu. What is going to happen to the Pac-12? Maybe the Pac-04 one day? Hard to name things that are not driven by money.

Comment

C ya. Don't let the door hit ya in the butt as ya leave.

Eventually it'll just be the Big-100 and the SEC-100. Star college (NCAA will be gone) athletes will command Million SSS salaries. It's a brave new world.
            Last edited by Atticus; 07-01-2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              C ya. Don't let the door hit ya in the butt as ya leave.
              The door will actually swing back and hit the other 10 schools, because without USC and UCLA, there is no Pac-12 or Pac anything. In the financially driven world that we live in today, the two LA schools had to make this move. USC barely made $20 million on their TV revenue each year. They will now share $1.3 Billion with the rest of the Big Ten Conference. I've heard from good authority that the Big Ten isn't finished adding schools. Their goal is to get to 20 schools total by 2024. They are making a huge push to get Notre Dame into the conference. Atticus is right. In the future, there will be two major conferences. The Big Ten and SEC.
              Last edited by TWalsh; 07-01-2022, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Will people be required to continue pretending that these teams are made up of "students" ? And do we really believe non-income sports teams are going to make multiple transcontinental trips every season? More likely the new super leagues will be only for football and hoops?

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                  Will people be required to continue pretending that these teams are made up of "students" ? And do we really believe no bingo me sports teams are going to make multiple transcontinental trips every season? More likely the new super leagues will be only for football and hoops?
                  All sports programs move, although they may not have teams in certain sports, like Maryland has no men's xc team. Neither does USC, however they may want to add one now.

Comment

Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

All sports programs move, although they may not have teams in certain sports, like Maryland has no men's xc team. Neither does USC, however they may want to add one now.
                    They dropped men's cross country at USC in the 1990's before I started coaching there. During my 19 years as the middle and long distance coach at USC, we made an effort to try and bring back men's cross country on several occasions. We were always turned down because of the Title IX issue. They couldn't add another men's sport at USC unless they also added a women's sport. There was talk at one time of bringing back women's softball. But the women's facilities needed to be equal to that of the men's baseball facilities in dollars spent. And because of the money issue, they didn't bring either sport back. Maybe now, with the extra money in TV revenue, the Trojans will add both men's cross country and women's softball.
                    Last edited by TWalsh; 07-01-2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWalsh View Post

The door will actually swing back and hit the other 10 schools, because without USC and UCLA, there is no Pac-12 or Pac anything. In the financially driven world that we live in today, the two LA schools had to make this move. USC barely made $20 million on their TV revenue each year. They will now share $1.3 Billion with the rest of the Big Ten Conference. I've heard from good authority that the Big Ten isn't finished adding schools. Their goal is to get to 20 schools total by 2024. They are making a huge push to get Notre Dame into the conference. Atticus is right. In the future, there will be two major conferences. The Big Ten and SEC.
                      What I read yesterday was the expectation was that another 4 or 5 schools would accompany USC and UCLA to the Big Ten and the Pac-12 would pick up other schools maybe from the MWC.

Comment

Maybe now, with the extra money in TV revenue, the Trojans will add both men's cross country and women's softball.
                        Yes, I was thinking that too. There's a lot of distance talent in CA and in the Midwest, they could build a good program quickly.

Comment

During my 19 years as the middle and long distance coach at USC
                          How did I not know this? Way cool!

Comment

It's actually great news for Record Keepers like myself, who ignore all OT marks!
                            In the PAC-12, INdoor Track is pretty much non-existent!
                            And when or if USC & UCLA decide to do INdoor track, they'll have to do it in normal Big 10 locations---i.e. OT tracks throughout the Big 10, where their Conference meets are often held!
                            So EVERY event from the 200 through the 5000 can be totally ignored!
                            NO 200 to 5000 athlete from USC or UCLA will ever get into the record book!!
                            I'm celebrating----less work for me!
                            LOL

Comment

Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

No, this is the Big Ten. The first thing each needs to be respectable is a varsity wrestling team.

Comment

Working...
                              X