Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eugene attendance

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eugene attendance

    Day 1 press release:

    Day 1 ticketed persons total: 13,646



  • #2
    Feel free to delete the other one. No breakdown by session I see.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gh View Post
      Day 1 press release:

      Day 1 ticketed persons total: 13,646

      Is this in total? Does it combine both sessions? What's this stadium capacity?

      So many questions, but this is piss poor right?

      Comment


      • #4
        Piss poor, indeed and I live here. Part of the blame is that we've simply had too many events this year. College conference championships, NCAA championships, Prefontaine and USATF. Nonetheless, I find it difficult to believe that the stadium isn't sold out for at least every evening. AM crowd much better today (Saturday) and the evening session the largest so far. Still, the idea that any tickets remain is puzzling.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post
          Piss poor, indeed and I live here. Part of the blame is that we've simply had too many events this year. College conference championships, NCAA championships, Prefontaine and USATF. Nonetheless, I find it difficult to believe that the stadium isn't sold out for at least every evening. AM crowd much better today (Saturday) and the evening session the largest so far. Still, the idea that any tickets remain is puzzling.
          I think the biggest issue is the lack of accommodations in town and convenient transportation to get to Eugene. I have not seen a whole lot of fans from other countries. It looks like they are sitting this one out, and I can't say I blame them. I thought today's crowd was actually pretty good for a morning session. Having two finals definitely helped. That being said, I would guess that it will be the only time the WCs are hosted in the USA.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HopStepJump View Post

            I think the biggest issue is the lack of accommodations in town and convenient transportation to get to Eugene. I have not seen a whole lot of fans from other countries. It looks like they are sitting this one out, and I can't say I blame them. I thought today's crowd was actually pretty good for a morning session. Having two finals definitely helped. That being said, I would guess that it will be the only time the WCs are hosted in the USA.
            Agreed. Cities such as LA and NYC no longer have big meets (yes, NYC has Millrose, but it moved from an 18000 seat arena to a 3000 seat venue). The accommodation situation isn't as bad as some think. We routinely hold football games with over 60,000 in attendance, many from out of town. There are still available AirBnb listings. I do think the price of tickets drove some away. Finish line seats are $350 a pop. Daegu was $300 for the entire meet in good GA seats. I recall spending about $1,000 for all session finish line seats in Doha. Factoring in the costs of transportation and tickets, not surprising the Europeans mostly stayed away. I am surprised that more US citizens couldn't be bothered to show up, but that's athletics in the US; watch the Olympics once every four years and then tune out.

            Comment


            • #7
              I would think they should offer tickets on the opposite side at bargain prices to fill the place up.

              The Saturday morning session looked a bit better than Friday morning.

              Saturday evening will be a good test.
              Last edited by Halfmiler2; 07-16-2022, 10:49 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post
                Piss poor, indeed and I live here. Part of the blame is that we've simply had too many events this year. College conference championships, NCAA championships, Prefontaine and USATF. Nonetheless, I find it difficult to believe that the stadium isn't sold out for at least every evening. AM crowd much better today (Saturday) and the evening session the largest so far. Still, the idea that any tickets remain is puzzling.
                Attendance for each of these competitions was poor, and I've heard more than once "people are not attending Pre/NCAA/USATF to save it for the Worlds"

                Comment


                • #9
                  pretty sad crowds for such a proud track and field nation.

                  2026 Commonwealth games in our country city of Ballarat will probably get more than that.

                  .
                  Last edited by spartacus; 07-17-2022, 12:34 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm just shocked cos when it was announced Eugene was hosting the first thing I thought was how great thee crowds would be. I understand that it's a relatively small town but after a 39 year wait and with a population of over 330 million I assumed that US track fans would be gagging to have the WC's on home soil.

                    I understand why there are aren't so many international visitors (Especially from the UK who usually make up the biggest group of overseas fans. We have 2 major champs on our doorstep this summer) but it's hard to believe that there aren't enough track fans in the US to fill the smallest stadium in WC history. I thought we'd been told it was a sellout.
                    Last edited by Flumpy; 07-17-2022, 01:23 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i'm shocked in that it's a nice warm summer's night and you've got the m100 final and there isn't a significant walkup crowd.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
                        I thought we'd been told it was a sellout.

                        I wonder how many of those are corporate.

                        Regarding US fan malaise, I suspect many were put off by the lodging horror stories

                        There are no strings on me

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by guru View Post


                          I wonder how many of those are corporate.

                          Regarding US fan malaise, I suspect many were put off by the lodging horror stories
                          ??

                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                            ??

                            https://www.oregonlive.com/oregon22/...ic-impact.html
                            There are no strings on me

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There's a lot of people there now for the 100. FOMO (Fear of Missing Out). Americans aren't interested in heats and semis. They only want to see finals.
                              I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X