Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

59 days of unparalleled tracK & field action?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 days of unparalleled tracK & field action?

if you want to continue to kvetch about Eugene attendance, please do so on the thread with that title.

On a more positive note, consider this: has any other venue on the planet had as much world-class action crammed into it over the course of 4 different meets in just 59 days? 5 weekends out of 9 busy with these:

May 27-28: Pre Classic

June 08-11: NCAA Championships

June 23-26: USATF Championships

July 15-24: World Championships

Forget 59 days: how many cities have ever staged 4 meets that good in a whole year? I can't think of one.

ow many have staged even 3 in a year? Atlanta ''96 comes to mind.

We're talking something epic in the history of the sport.
    Last edited by gh; 08-05-2022, 06:59 PM.

It was an incredible stretch of super-elite meets, and doesn't even take into consideration the high school affair in the middle of all that. I can't imagine anywhere else pulling that off.

Comment

I would have liked to make all of them but I had too much going on to be away from home that long. They don't call it Tracktown for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        It was an incredible stretch of super-elite meets, and doesn't even take into consideration the high school affair in the middle of all that. I can't imagine anywhere else pulling that off.
        Love the US-centric vibe to all this... of course, no cities outside the US can repeat this combo... and, so really, we're just left with "Eugene/Nike are greedy" as the key takeaway...

Comment

Actually, this whole summer has been, and will continue to be, filled with great T&F...but around the world, not just in Eugene!!
          I don't know the answer, but have we ever had a year in which the World Championships (OR the Olympics) was just ONE of THREE "major" championships (WC, CG, EC)??
          Plus the DL's and other meets, including the ATL's and other smaller meets here at home!!
          A VERY busy 3.5 months (late May through Sept 20)!!
          Oh yeah, forgot the World Juniors now ongoing!!
          LOL

AND the NACAC!!

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

We're talking something epic in the history of the sport.
            Hopefully it results in more US fans of this great sport.

Comment

The answer is "no". The uncomfortable truth is that Eugene is probably the only city on the planet that could pull off something like this.
              Last edited by jazzcyclist; 08-03-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Last year Chorzów hosted World Relays, European Team Champs and two Continental Tour meets. But I guess it doesn't count, since they never had the NCAAs there.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Honestly, these last 3 months (especially in Eugene) have been a florilege of magnificent performances, of bursting new talents and explosive superstars.
                  One of the best and most exciting seasons ever.
                  Even if my fav' event, the men 400m dash, is not a legendary cuvée this year 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                    Last year Chorzów hosted World Relays, European Team Champs and two Continental Tour meets. But I guess it doesn't count, since they never had the NCAAs there.
                    Do you think that equals or surpasses what took place in Eugene?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

No. But I do think that stadium would host an exceptional World Champs if given the chance.

The fact that the four biggest meets on US soil this year all took place in the same stadium is, for me, a cause for concern not celebration.

Comment

Since we all concede that the Global Championships (Olympics/Worlds) is the world's Home meet, let's rank all the other meets 2 thru 10. Where do the US Olympic Trials rank? What about the European Championships? Commonwealth Games? NCAA Championships? Diamond League meets? etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cjb210 View Post

No. But I do think that stadium would host an exceptional World Champs if given the chance
                          There's no doubt about that..

Originally posted by cjb210 View Post
                          The fact that the four biggest meets on US soil this year all took place in the same stadium is, for me, a cause for concern not celebration.
                          It should have concerned folks when Eugene got the World Championships without submitting a bid.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

Well, all four events in Chorzów were international ones, unlike Eugene
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

Well, all four events in Chorzów were international ones, unlike Eugene
                              Well, the fact that you believe what took place in Poland in those 4 meets was bigger than what took place in Eugene means that we have a fundamental difference of opinion on what makes for a great track meet.

Comment

Working...
                              X