This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    Before she visited Jamaica back in 1994, the Jamaican government somehow found the money to rapidly repair all the pothole-pocked roads that she and her entourage were expected to travel on. If your street wasn't one she would traverse, nor a very visible side street thereof, it was left unchanged with the same old potholes.
    Atlanta did the same thing in 1996, painted the rundown houses on the streets accessing the stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
      My closest connection to Queen Elizabeth II is that I attended the Kentucky Derby in 1977 and 1978 and she attended it in 2007.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...e/66798020007/
      Mine: In 1957 and 2007 she spoke from the balcony on the Wren Building at William and Mary, and I had an English class in said building--1971 . Also, Charles was at W&M in 1981 and 1993. (W&M was founded by an English Charter, hence the ties to GB.)

Comment

My only connection was that about 20 years ago I spent a night at Treetops Hotel in Aberdare National Park in Kenya.

Sadly, this iconic lodge closed last year due to the pandemic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ya/ar-AA11BPDA

Comment

Before she visited Jamaica back in 1994, the Jamaican government somehow found the money to rapidly repair all the pothole-pocked roads that she and her entourage were expected to travel on. If your street wasn't one she would traverse, nor a very visible side street thereof, it was left unchanged with the same old potholes.
          That's what they would do in my country before JP2's visits.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

then there's Neil Young's incomparable treatment of the Coronation; I've never been able to watch this without tearing up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-nPsrX05Rk

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

She seems like she has a sly, subtle sense of humour.

Comment

Great Sky News story! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  The fact that she was so proper and dignified, but did that James bond bit perfectly at the London Olympics made me a bigger fan!
                  best Olympic opening by a head of state ever.... and always will be !

Comment

There was something of a running joke in the UK that alleged that the Queen believed that all public buildings had a background aroma of drying paint!

Comment

Jack Foster wrote that his medal at the 1974 Commonwealth Games was presented by the Queen.

Comment

I lived the second part of my childhood on a vast newly-built housing estate just outside Birmingham. The Queen came to open the shopping centre and as the verges and banks had not yet been seeded or planted they were sprayed the most hideous lurid green colour. Someone must have decided that the sight of natural bare earth would have offended the royal eyes, I suppose!

Comment

I was impressed that British people who were interviewed by TV reporters seemed articulate. These days, Americans might have said something like, “I was like, wow, when I heard…”

Comment

Originally posted by Django View Post
                            I was impressed that British people who were interviewed by TV reporters seemed articulate. These days, Americans might have said something like, “I was like, wow, when I heard…”
                            Since coming to America I have always noticed that British children are usually more articulate than American kids.

Comment

My father in law went to Sandhurst (Britain's Westpoint) and in the late 30's was assigned to guard royalty in (I think) Balmoral. He was often there when they dined. He said "there was always a lot of giggling."

Comment

Stumbled upon the following anecdote via Twitter. It is taken from Ever the Diplomat: Confessions of a Foreign Office Mandarin by Sherard Cowper-Cowles, which was published in 2012 by HarperPress.​

Abdullah of Saudi Arabia first visited Balmoral in 1998. At the time, he was Crown Prince, but acting as de facto regent after King Fahd was incapacitated by a major stroke in 1995.

After lunch, the Queen had asked her royal guest whether he would like a tour of the estate. Prompted by his foreign minister the urbane Prince Saud, an initially hesitant Abdullah had agreed. The royal Land Rovers were drawn up in front of the castle. As instructed, the Crown Prince climbed into the front seat of the front Land Rover, with his interpreter in the seat behind. To his surprise, the Queen climbed into the driving seat, turned the ignition and drove off.

Women [were] not yet allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, and Abdullah was not used to being driven by a woman, let alone a queen. His nervousness only increased as the queen, an Army driver in wartime, accelerated the Land Rover along the narrow Scottish estate roads, talking all the time. Through his interpreter, the Crown Prince implored the Queen to slow down and concentrate on the road ahead.

Comment

Working...
                                X